Author Topic: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.  (Read 770464 times)

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.
« Reply #930 on: August 02, 2008, 03:38:55 AM »
@Omni: For future reference, there is no need to quote the post directly above you. It's generally implied, and just takes up space otherwise. :)

I installed VirtualBox yesterday, for the heck of it. Got a functional tinyXP installation, too. Everything works except hardware-accelerated graphics (expected) and sound (UNEXPECTED D:). I need to mess with it some more, methinks...the ALSA driver isn't working, so I guess I'll have to play with the OSS driver. It could potentially be a conflict, too (though I'm generally careful to keep aRTs in its place).

Actually, this isn't the thing that annoys me. The thing that's annoying is I'm at a friend's and I'm not going to be able to fix this until Saturday night. >:(

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: August 02, 2008, 03:46:56 AM »
@Vyhd: Not caring.

Also hopefully re-installing WoW from stratch will help.  I would play WoW but I have a shitty laptop and I wish wine was nice and I would play Diablo 2:LOD and StarCraft.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 02, 2008, 03:57:18 AM »
I got the Portal: Flash Version map pack for Portal. Some of them are just pure annoyance.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #933 on: August 02, 2008, 04:24:34 AM »
I installed VirtualBox yesterday, for the heck of it. Got a functional tinyXP installation, too. Everything works except hardware-accelerated graphics (expected) and sound (UNEXPECTED D:).

If Windows isn't picking up a sound card then it's TinyXP's fault.  A lot of those small XP installs remove the legacy drivers, which would cause VirtualBox's emulated SB16 not to get picked up at all.

The SB16 isn't a plug-and-play soundcard, either (unless VirtualBox is emulating the PCI version, but I kind of doubt it), so if that's what's happening you'll have to select a driver manually.  If you have a Windows XP CD lying around, you should be able to bring up the add new hardware wizard, select "have disk," and point it to the XP disc.  I'm not positive (read: I've never tried it) but that should bring up a list of all the devices that are supported by XP.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #934 on: August 02, 2008, 06:19:23 AM »
Ugh.  I finally got WoW updated.  I'm not sure exactly what was going on, but my solution was this:

1) Uninstall everything.
2) Download the 2.0.X => 2.4.0 patch manually from FileFront.
3) Install aforementioned patch.
4) Allow WoW to automatically patch itself up to 2.4.3.

The only thing that I can think of is that the 2.3.0 patch that I'd downloaded when I first started playing was somehow corrupted in a way where it only had issues if you applied it over WoW:BC.  Seeing as I tried redownloading all of the other patches before I took this road (since they are pretty small) that's the only thing that I could think of that would cause this to happen.

On another note, I'm kind of confused as to why WoW's automatic updater goes from 2.0.0 => 2.3.0 => 2.4.0 instead of going from 2.0.0 directly to 2.4.0.  Ah well.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #935 on: August 02, 2008, 08:27:39 AM »
I remember trying to install WoW on this thing.  It actually wasn't so bad.  Didn't really take all that long.

...and then the patches came.  I went to go play GTA: San Andreas while everything was downloading/installing, and I swear I got in and out of one of the cities while it was doing all of that.  I was so incredibly far behind on the patches.  Haha...

And then I played the game all of like twice, so I never bothered to put it back on after the great crash of November 2007.
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #936 on: August 02, 2008, 08:53:37 AM »
Yeah, WoW's patching is annoying. I wish they came out with a few more full patches, instead of a whole boatload of incremental patches. Or hell, a special file server that would allow you to select a patch like 2.x.y => 2.a.b type deal. It wouldn't be that hard to make a program to create a bunch of files that combined different incremental patches into 1 mega patch. I mean, seriously, not everyone is still running dial up. We can deal with a file several hundred megs in size without spending 10 hours waiting for it to download.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #937 on: August 02, 2008, 01:53:35 PM »
Or hell, a special file server that would allow you to select a patch like 2.x.y => 2.a.b type deal.

They have one of thems, it's just a pain to get to.  You have to go to the support site for Blizzard Downloader.  From there, it's buried in the last question of the FAQ.  That's how I found that 2.4.0 patch.

Alternatively, FileFront looks like it has all of the packages that Blizzard offers (they're an official mirror).

vladgd

« Reply #938 on: August 02, 2008, 04:06:52 PM »
uhh what did you get the burning crusade for if you don't have a 60?  i mean, most of the content introduced is for people ready for outland.  unless you wanted to play one of the new starting zones (both are really well done, and the preferred place to get from 1-20) or a new race.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #939 on: August 02, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »
Why wait?

Also, the Draenei are pretty much the only Alliance race I'm at all interested in.  And the feature set is pretty impressive, overall.

vladgd

« Reply #940 on: August 02, 2008, 04:58:08 PM »
Also, the Draenei are pretty much the only Alliance race I'm at all interested in.

i like you

also the draenei starting area is possibly the easiest and fastest way to get from level 1-20.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 06, 2008, 11:42:29 PM »
Classes are going to be starting up again soon, which means, of COURSE that the local Port Authority is threatening to go on strike again.   ::)

Silly children.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 06, 2008, 11:47:45 PM »
WoW seems cool and all but aI wish they had a Mohawk Night Elf.

vladgd

« Reply #943 on: August 07, 2008, 12:07:09 AM »
the next expansion brings the ability to change your hairdo, so i don't see why you couldn't have a night elf mohawk.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 07, 2008, 12:10:38 AM »
God, we'll be seeing mohawks everywhere.