Author Topic: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.  (Read 770634 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.
« Reply #2520 on: June 11, 2017, 02:42:28 AM »
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah. I'm actually surprised at how good the routing is. In my experience it sometimes even picks better and/or more logical routes than Google Maps. However, the UX actually makes it unsafe to use on the road. Makes perfect sense.

On the way home I'm going to try out the iOS version of Google Maps. It may not integrate as well, but hopefully it'll be a better user experience. It sure as hell couldn't get worse.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2521 on: June 11, 2017, 08:58:33 PM »
I've never used an iPhone, so unfortunately I can't give any input on how google maps might work out on it. I haven't had much of a problem with google maps on android, but who knows how it works on ios.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2522 on: June 12, 2017, 01:54:07 AM »
It worked exceptionally well! Tight, concise UI and just enough options. I particularly like the ability to only enable voice for alerts, as I strongly dislike the constant yapping that many GPS implementations like to do. I generally know where I'm going--the main reason I like to use a GPS for trips is so that I can sneak around traffic jams and heavy construction--so hearing "continue on I-80 East" over and over again drives me up the wall.

The lane indicators are a helpful feature that Apple Maps is sorely missing. It's not quite as visible as the split-screen view that Garmin devices display, but it's easy enough for me to read.

I imagine it probably works much the same on iOS as it does on Android. I like it.

A2P

• View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: June 16, 2017, 11:58:12 PM »
I HAVE NO FUCKING INCOME FUCK
Nice to see another memorable name though.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2524 on: July 01, 2017, 07:30:29 PM »
Apologies if anyone tried to access this site while it was down today. I made the unholy mistake of updating the installed packages on freyr (the spectere.net web server) and systemd then proceeded to refuse to start or restart any services (though I could stop them). I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I rebooted the server and now it's running smoothly once again.

Oh, this is the anger thread, isn't it? Alright. Here we go.

Clearly, the "developers" of systemd are trying to recreate the days of Windows 95, where error messages were unhelpful and obscure, and problems were too cryptic to be solved by any means other than rebooting your fucking production server. Fuck them, fuck their shitty software, and fuck the majority of Linux distributions for kowtowing to Red Hat and practically making it a standard.

If it didn't cost twice as much for *BSD-based VPSs, I'd switch over in a heartbeat. In the meantime, I'm considering just paying more and once again considering switching everything over to Gentoo. The shitty little Core 2 Duo system in my basement has been running the same Gentoo installation for 6 years and I haven't had a hint of trouble with it. It's almost as if a simpler init system (sysvinit/OpenRC) is a better choice than a terribly implemented, poor man's imitation of the Windows service manager, containing all of said product's complexity (and then some) with none of the its benefits.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2525 on: August 07, 2017, 09:12:42 AM »
Locked, per this news post. Please create new topics instead. This will better facilitate the flow of conversation. Please be sure use the Angry () message icon to convey your emotions. ;D