Author Topic: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.  (Read 788794 times)

Shoop Da Whoop

• errday im huslin'
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.
« Reply #420 on: January 08, 2008, 07:07:25 PM »
What would they do? Anything?

They have found my various tools around my room on many different occasions. They only confronted me about it once and they told me that they didn't like me doing it. My dad has taken my stash once. The next day I walked down the stairs and smelt sweet ganja trees in his office, I lol'd.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 09, 2008, 12:14:47 AM »
Yeah, a fundamental difference. My parents could kick me out, and I'd be screwed, plus, I have no job. So I'm kinda screwed on that front for now.

This will probably come out completely ignorant, but is weed and all illegal where you live? Also this motherfucking cunt in BWII disconnected on me. At first I had a bunch of subs/boats and had no clue which one was good for what so he destroyed my basses within the first minuet when the round was a 30 min round. Then I hold him off of my light house for a while but eventually his tanks rape it. Then my final flag (you need solders to pull the flag up, while doing this they are vulnerable) had both of us running across an island and I get lucky and my big tank respawns and gets his two tanks. Then while fighting for it his tanks respawn and it's me with one flame guy and about 4 or 5 grunts fighting a tank and his assault/grunts. So I select my flame guy, dodge all of his tanks attacks and burn everyone off of the flag until my big tank can respawn and blow his tank up, then with ten seconds left he disconnects. Fucker robbed me of my victory that I earned ;_;.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #422 on: January 09, 2008, 01:29:32 AM »
Yeah, weed's illegal. Then again, so is filesharing. I mean, unless you have like, 1 ounce/28 grams of weed, it's a fairly minor offense. Plus, I haven't been caught, and neither has my friend/supplier. I'm not the kind of person to do something stupid enough to get caught anyway. When I smoke up, I like to just hang out someplace, maybe go for a short walk downtown and get some food or something, but usually it's pretty limited to smoking a couple bowls or a joint or 2 and hanging out playing video games. Damn, games are fun stoned.

In any case, I'm one of those people who believes that only some drugs should be illegal, and those would be things like heroin, methamphetamine, and such. The ones that are dangerously addictive, and dangerous to the user. Most hallucinogens are not dangerous as long as you have a sitter, and most other drugs are not dangerous unless you do something stupid. I would never drive stoned, ever.

As far as I see it, weed should be controlled like alcohol, just not necessarily controlled by the government in such a way that the government has the only supply. I mean, it's still legal to brew your own beer. It's relatively harmless, it seems to have no long lasting effects, aside from maybe messing with people's short term memory, but even then, it's not all that bad. Sure, it should be (and is) illegal to drive while stoned, but that doesn't mean it should be completely illegal to smoke up at all. The same goes for hallucinogens. They are not physically or mentally addictive, they are harmless as a chemical. There are certain risks, and I think people should know and understand those risks before trying any, but I don't believe they should be illegal.

EDIT: Jesus fuck, what the hell. I went to post this and next thing I knew I was fighting with my modem and router for 15 minutes trying to get it to actually connect. What the FUCK.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 09, 2008, 01:45:21 AM »
That's basically exactly my view on drugs. Good job typing a rant for me :3

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #424 on: January 09, 2008, 03:29:31 AM »
http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/gallery/

UGH, please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that every single one of these screenshots look a lot worse than standard Quake.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #425 on: January 09, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »
You're not alone.. What the hell is that supposed to be, a rebuilt version or something?

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 09, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Is it a source port? Because I'm pretty sure Quakeworld basically trumps everything, in terms of preserving the gameplay. If it's like, a clone of it, then they best not change mechanics, or I'll freak out >:(

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #427 on: January 09, 2008, 07:00:44 PM »
Which brings me to an idea. Since Quake is easily come by, we could have some s.net QuakeWorld matches :P Oldschool games are so fun for that sort of thing.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 10, 2008, 12:03:06 AM »
I prefer quake 3, and the demo's completely sufficient for that. I like quake and all, but the railgun is what makes it for me, rockets aren't really my cup of tea.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #429 on: January 10, 2008, 02:16:28 AM »
Is it a source port?

Yes.  I don't know if it includes the "awesome" high-resolution texture packs and high-def models or not, but it's definitely a source mod.

I don't think any source port in existence right now can hope to match the visual awesomeness of Dark Places.  I think the problem is that a lot of the programmers (aside from the one(s) behind Dark Places) are delving into aesthetics too much for their (and our) own good.  I mean, those screenshots are so bad that I think I'd rather play SNES Doom than that.

The sad part is that I'm not exaggerating.  Normally I don't care too much about graphics, but when it gets to the point where the "enhancements" make it look worse than the original you really need to reevaluate your line of thinking (or, at the very least, bring some extra people onto the team to evaluate the presentation and/or provide some good art).

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 10, 2008, 02:23:24 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty much just like "HEY GUYS LOOK PARTICLE EFFECTS". Although I'm really impressed at the visual modifications that happen for Doom source ports, like Skulltag or GZDoom.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #431 on: January 10, 2008, 03:57:02 AM »
While it's nice to see particle effects and such make it into the game, they need real graphics people to do that, not coders who may happen to know how to hack it into the code.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #432 on: January 10, 2008, 04:56:25 AM »
The thing with a lot of that stuff is that the graphics people wouldn't have much control over things like that.  A lot of that stuff has to be done via code.

Let me go through some of the pictures and say what I think is wrong with them.

http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/gallery/armor_battle.png.  horrible horrible HORRIBLE.  The models are okay.  The new spike looks quite nice.  The trail behind the nail would definitely give it the illusion of fast motion.  THE TEXTURES LOOK LIKE SHIT.  The high-res textures are misaligned and just look very plain.  The fire in the background looks like a poor Winamp visualization -- it has absolutely no "personality" to speak of (look at a lit candle -- the flame is flickering and dancing, not going straight up like a cone).  4/10

http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/gallery/surface_lava.jpg.  The lava looks like hot, uneven ground.  The lighting is uneven (the room is red, the platform looks white-lit).  The high-res textures on the walls look repetitive (I know that textures need to be tiled, but look at the ones in standard Quake -- they don't give the appearance of repeating).  The orange fireballs?  Weak.  I don't know if this is an artifact of the scene or the player's gamma correction or brightness settings, but the entire scene looks muted and washed out.  And what's with the white axe?  I hope that isn't supposed to be a metallic color.  The status bar text looks way too whimsical for a game like Quake.  It would probably fit pretty well in, say, TF2, but not Quake.  2/10

http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/gallery/fog_fogsky_grenadetrail_flame.jpg.  HAY LOOK MY ENJIN HAS PHOG!  Visibility: 2 feet.  The brown texture (I guess it's supposed to be iron?) looks, quite literally, like shit.  Most of the other high-res textures, again, give the look of being very repetitive, probably because they have little to no actual detail in them.  Don't even get me started on the floor texture.  2/10

http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/gallery/surface_slime.jpg.  Oh god.  Why are the slime fumes coming up out of the solid ground?  Better yet, why do they look more like they should be in a c.1995 game?  I'm pretty sure Heretic had a better smoke effect for when unlucky players swam in lava.  What's with the slime texture?  Did the Dimension of the Doomed suddenly get flooded with lime Jell-o?  Look at that health kit in the hallway -- it looks sickly.  I guess I really can't blame it.  Also, why is the slime that wavy (left-center on the picture)?  Are people repeatedly doing cannonballs from one of the ramps above?  I don't know about you guys, but I've never seen liquid contained in a single room generate waves all by itself.  Do I even need to mention the other textures?  I think not.  1/10

http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/gallery/nailtrail_muzzleflash.jpg.  Okay, first of all, the "muzzle flash" doesn't line up with the gun.  Second, it suffers from the fire syndrome -- it's far too uniform.  Also, WHY THE HELL IS IT SO BRIGHT?  When was the last time you guys have seen a nailgun that has a larger muzzle flare than an LMG?  The nail box on the path below just looks far too sterile to exist in the game world.  The bolted metal texture looks too grainy and bold, the floor looks too flat, the water looks...bad.  2/10

I can't go on...ugh.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #433 on: January 10, 2008, 05:18:16 AM »
Yeah, part of the original quake's atmosphere were these really dingy ugly pixelated textures that were just plain evil looking. You were too worried about the enemies to pay much attention to the textures, because the textures weren't the main focus.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 10, 2008, 11:21:15 AM »
It's really difficult to make nice-looking high-resolution textures while still preserving the feel of the original, however. I think maybe a third of the stuff in that screenshot looks okay, but it's definately got hideous problems with lighting. Credit should be given for people actually making an attempt and all, but if it's just going to look bad, don't bother. There's similar debate with the project that's making high-res textures for Doom right now (Granted those look much better, if you ask me, albeit they don't preserve the original game's feel very well), people always feel that no matter what's done, it never really looks right. Either the texture artists are going to have to take creative license, which will probably piss people off, or they're going to have to have overly simplified textures, because there's only so much detail you can cram into a 128x128 flat (assuming that's what Quake uses, I haven't looked into it). Oversimplification almost always looks up ending like it belongs in a hospital, and while that sometimes works for the techbase-themed maps in Doom, Quake isn't supposed to look clean or nice at all.

Edit: That armor texture in the first screenshot, it looks like doomguy armor. The models just look fullbright in general in that screenshot, which, unless this is meant to be a comptetitive multiplayer mod, is ridiculous.