Author Topic: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.  (Read 793268 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.
« Reply #435 on: January 10, 2008, 12:50:14 PM »
Nine inch nails on my nail gun ammo box, i c wut u did thar.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #436 on: January 10, 2008, 03:05:52 PM »
It's really difficult to make nice-looking high-resolution textures while still preserving the feel of the original, however.

See, I disagree.  Someone who is talented in graphic design shouldn't have a problem making a dark, gringy, high-resolution tiled texture.  I think most texture artists would squeal with delight at having the opportunity to make a more realistic-looking texture.

The problem here is that they used too many bright, sterile colors.  People bitch about it a lot, but there's a good reason why Quake is full of brown, grey, and green -- it makes everything look dark, murky, and olden.  The fact that id created such an environment using no more than 256 colors (only about 16 slots per color thanks to shading, I believe, with a few fullbright shades as well) and fairly small textures is commendable.  There's no reason such a look can't be replicated with 16.7 million colors and hundreds of times the memory (Quake runs in 8MB of RAM, total -- video cards alone have 256MB+ on average nowadays).

There's similar debate with the project that's making high-res textures for Doom right now (Granted those look much better, if you ask me, albeit they don't preserve the original game's feel very well), people always feel that no matter what's done, it never really looks right.

I think that the main reason none of this looks right is because there are multiple people working on a single game, thus introducing multiple conflicting styles.  Additionally, it doesn't seem as though any attempt is made to model the new textures after the old ones.  The big brick textures in the screenshots that I critiqued looks overly modern, like something you'd find on a building made in the 2000s.  It's simply not supposed to look like that.  It looks far too uniform to be in an environment such as Quake.

Either the texture artists are going to have to take creative license, which will probably piss people off, or they're going to have to have overly simplified textures, because there's only so much detail you can cram into a 128x128 flat (assuming that's what Quake uses, I haven't looked into it).

Quake, like Doom, uses a variety of texture sizes.

The texture designers aren't really limited to 128x128 or 256x256 or whatever anyway.  I think the way most enhanced ports work is that they will draw a larger textures and scale the image down (i.e. if they replace a 128x128 texture with a 512x512 texture, it maps the 512x512 into the same area that the 128x128 texture was in, increasing the level of detail when you walk up close to the wall) so they have more room to squeeze tiny details.  As for the broad view of the texture, they have no less room than id had when they designed the originals.  Limits have been broken, not added.

Nine inch nails on my nail gun ammo box, i c wut u did thar.

Quake always had that.  The new nail box texture just removes the subtlety by making the box look like it just dropped off an assembly line.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #437 on: January 10, 2008, 03:43:30 PM »
Yeah, as I said before, Quake's textures were based on being grimy, dingy, dark, and all around creepy and evil. These textures look WAY too modern, and WAY too light. They need to darken things down, and start making things like slime patched, irregular brick shapes, crumbling brick corners, and all that.

EDIT: oh, and is there some way to change how your mouse works in WinQuake? I'd like not to have to toggle something to be able to look up and down with it.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #438 on: January 10, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »
Create or edit Quake\id1\autoexec.cfg, and put the line +mlook somewhere in the file.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #439 on: January 10, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
It appears I'm missing autoexec.cfg

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 10, 2008, 04:18:31 PM »
We should get a game of skulltag going : )

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 10, 2008, 08:41:58 PM »
There's a scab on my knee from a few weeks ago, and now that it's healing, there's a stabbing pain whenever I hit it on anything.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 10, 2008, 09:07:56 PM »
Halo isn't a casual FPS. Not by a long shot. Play on Xbox Live a bit and you'll notice that there are quite a few hardcore players there. Perhaps you guys are quick to call it 'casual' because it's not a PC game with KB/M ? I'd say Serious Sam, or even Doom is better example of a casual FPS.

NEEEEERRRD RAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGE.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 10, 2008, 10:11:21 PM »
Who said that? I have trouble believing it's not a troll.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 10, 2008, 11:28:02 PM »
Ugh, I got like an eighty-five BILLION year old woman, needing me to help her install the Internet security suite offered by Roadrunner.
45 minutes later, shes still trying to install it. (We're as far as putting in the registration key.)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #445 on: January 10, 2008, 11:45:22 PM »
I feel so sorry for you. That is why I could never do that. I would have literally told her that if she's too stupid to be able to install the fucking software in less than 30 minutes, she doesn't deserve to have a fucking computer. Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 11, 2008, 12:00:57 AM »
Who said that? I have trouble believing it's not a troll.

It was off of Joystiq,

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/10/ces-2008-conflict-denied-ops-aims-at-non-existent-casual-fps/

I mean I'm not trying to diss the game, but shit if there ever was a casual FPS it would be Halo. Really slow paced and a really slow learning curve. I mean smash is such a casual fight some people won't consider it a fight, but I still think it's fun.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 11, 2008, 01:53:10 AM »
You mean really quick learning curve, right? Because you can pick up halo in about 3 seconds, if you've ever used a controller.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #448 on: January 11, 2008, 02:43:41 AM »
It appears I'm missing autoexec.cfg

Then create it, like I said...

It's not there by default.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #449 on: January 11, 2008, 09:08:06 AM »
I mean I'm not trying to diss the game, but shit if there ever was a casual FPS it would be Halo. Really slow paced and a really slow learning curve. I mean smash is such a casual fight some people won't consider it a fight, but I still think it's fun.

Have you SEEN a hardcore smash player? I have, it's insane. Absolutely insane. It defies reason.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x