Author Topic: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.  (Read 792668 times)

Ulti

• View Profile
Re: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.
« Reply #450 on: January 11, 2008, 01:10:44 PM »
Yeah, but the thing about smash is anyone can pick up smash and get moderately proficient at it in a couple days. That's more than you can say for most games.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #451 on: January 11, 2008, 01:30:31 PM »
Moderately proficient... Ok... I would consider myself "Moderately proficient" compared to a real pro, and would have to say that there's no way unless you're superhuman, than anyone could become as good as I am in a couple days. It took me months of work to get to be able to take a team of 2 lv 9's on. I know a few people better than me, and they are just plain fucking scary.

Do NOT underestimate how good people can get at that game. I EASILY beat every one of my friends and my brother's friends (by a fair margin, considering most games were 3 many free for alls involving 5 lives where I won with 3 lives left, and they tended to gang up on me) except one guy, who is about a match to me. He agrees that neither of us would have a chance against the guy I'm talking about. He regularly uses Wavedashing to move around/keep himself practically invulnerable.

(More info here http://faqs.ign.com/articles/627/627159p1.html)

It blows my mind that someone could be so good, but if you've ever seen that footage from the huge Street Fighter Championship, well, this guy is on the same level of skill as people who compete tin those sorts of things. He's miles beyond almost everyone, including my friend and I.

While smash may have been developed to allow for quick learning at first, that game has a HUGE depth of skill, you can always improve. There's always room to get better. It's absurd.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 11, 2008, 02:12:19 PM »
You mean really quick learning curve, right? Because you can pick up halo in about 3 seconds, if you've ever used a controller.

Yeah, exactly. I was a bit tired when I wrote this. Also in about the 4 or 5 sittings that I've played Halo 3 I've gotten MVP about two or three times, so I would agree. It's also that the game has sticky cursers and most of the guns have little recoil, so core game play isn't even slightly hard to pick up. If it's one on one in an open field and you both have rifles and grenades, then it's simply who starts shooting the other guy first.

It blows my mind that someone could be so good, but if you've ever seen that footage from the huge Street Fighter Championship, well, this guy is on the same level of skill as people who compete tin those sorts of things. He's miles beyond almost everyone, including my friend and I.

While smash may have been developed to allow for quick learning at first, that game has a HUGE depth of skill, you can always improve. There's always room to get better. It's absurd.

That's one thing about smash, most people talk about glitch abusing for depth. I'm not sure if the core game play with or without wave dashing and all that stuff is really deep, but it really helps out depth wise.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 11, 2008, 08:58:03 PM »
Well, Gunz is pretty much the same way, the original mechanics are really simple, but you can make it disgustingly complicated via glitches.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #454 on: January 11, 2008, 09:16:07 PM »
Well, Wave Dashing was left in because it enhances gameplay. The devs found it and though it should stay. And plus, I play without it, and still find that there is a huge amount of gameplay depth in that game. I mean, it takes quite a bit of learning just to get from a noob to being able to take a lv9 easily, and then, it's a whole 'nother ball game when you team up 2 of them against you. And I still can't do 2 9's and a lower level on top of it. There is a lot of room for gameplay in that, because the mechanics allow for really complicated timing and such. I mean, timing marth's counter attack move just right so that you can catch your opponent when they least expect it takes good timing, because the move has such a slow beginning.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 12, 2008, 07:40:04 PM »
I just lost my Windows partition.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #456 on: January 12, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »
I just lost my Windows partition.

what =(

What happened?
"This is a machine for making cows."

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 12, 2008, 09:45:10 PM »
I tried to boot Wondows XP, but it told me a necessary boot file was missing. I booted Ubuntu to check, and there was nothing in that partition. It had been corrupted. I went ahead and formatted to make a dedicated partition to Ubuntu, so now it feels like someone very close to me died. I can find most of the stuff through torrents and run a lot of it using Wine, but all of my unreleased simfiles are completely gone, among other things.

On the less dim side, I have about 75 GB free now.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #458 on: January 13, 2008, 01:31:23 AM »
You should have mentioned something about that earlier -- I might have been able to help out.

I ended up accidentally zapping my XP partition on this machine because I'm an idiot when it comes to using parted (three cheers for Linux fdisk for not doing anything until you type 'w') and I was able to get it back pretty easily with a little bit of voodoo magic.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #459 on: January 13, 2008, 01:42:02 AM »
I know the woes of fucked up partitions, my computer is still weird. My Windows is on E:\ but I boot off my C:\ (both hard drives, each a different physical disk) because my E:\'s boot is all fucked up (asks for hal.dll. I know the file IS there, and loads, since it works when pointing to the same windows install with my C:\ instead of E:\, and it's not a boot.ini problem, because both boot.ini's are identical.)

In any case, yeah, losing stuff sucks ass. I posted some music on here before, well, that stuff is gone now. As well as a number of other things that are likely very hard to replace.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #460 on: January 13, 2008, 08:46:55 PM »
Doublepost for unrelated question.

I've got autoexec.cfg with +mlook, but I want my mouse to also make me look side to side (you know, like modern games, wasd is forward back and sidestep, and the mouse is for looking, and turning.)

There any way to do that?

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #461 on: January 13, 2008, 08:50:36 PM »
Turn off lookstrafe in the options menu.  It should be off by default...

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #462 on: January 13, 2008, 10:38:11 PM »
Sexual refractory periods.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 13, 2008, 11:53:09 PM »
My college courses feel like high school, in a bad way.

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #464 on: January 16, 2008, 09:51:13 PM »
Damn people who hang up on me at work. I hate all of you. And you just might cost me my job in the very near future D:

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE