Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 11653 times)

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
Doctor Who
« on: April 12, 2010, 05:53:17 PM »
Is anyone else here as intimately attached to this show as I am?

It has quickly and easily taken the place of my favorite show ever. I've seen every episode from the ninth doctor on AT LEAST five times, but I haven't seen much of the previous eight incarnations.

SO for anyone who follows the show, what do you think about Matt Smith (the new Doctor)? Personally, I highly approve. I think the personality they gave this doctor fits him very well.

I hope I'm not alone in enjoying this show cause it's super awesome.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
You are by no means alone in enjoying this show.  :3

So far, I'm quite liking Matt Smith.  And his Doctor hates bacon just as much as I do. 
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:31:46 PM »
I haven't seen any of the older Doctor Who series, but I've seen all of the Ninth and Tenth Doctors. It's a pretty kickass show.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »
I don't know what, but there is something making me not want to watch the show. I know I might really enjoy it, but there's something off putting about it that bothers me in a very vague way. :/
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:26:31 PM »
You are by no means alone in enjoying this show.  :3

So far, I'm quite liking Matt Smith.  And his Doctor hates bacon just as much as I do. 

Yay :D

I did like how he was trying different foods to see what he likes with his new body. It was a good way to convey that he's essentially a different person aside from memories and some personality traits.

I haven't seen any of the older Doctor Who series, but I've seen all of the Ninth and Tenth Doctors. It's a pretty kickass show.

The older ones are completely different than the newer ones, which is one reason I haven't watched much of it yet. It's a lot slower paced and most of the old Doctors seem less energetic (cause they're older actors I assume) and less witty. BUT this is just based on the few random episodes I've seen from the old series, I may be totally wrong, which is why I should watch them so I can find out.

The ninth Doctor was alright, but he didn't seem to fit the part :/ Probably why he was only in one season. But the tenth Doctor was perfect. It almost made me cry when he said "I don't want to go" right before he regenerated into Matt Smith.

I don't know what, but there is something making me not want to watch the show. I know I might really enjoy it, but there's something off putting about it that bothers me in a very vague way. :/

That's kinda how I was at first. My friend showed me a few random episodes and I liked it, but not a whole lot. It took watching the first season with the ninth Doctor all the way through to get me hooked. Then David Tennant showed up and true love was born.

I don't know what exactly it could be that is holding you back but maybe the British aspect? I know a lot of people are deterred by British comedy, if that's the case. There isn't that much of it anyway; it's got pretty modern, edgy humor with some British flavor thrown in. It could also be that it's pretty damn out there as far as the subject matter. The writers are extremely creative and seem to at least have a theoretical answer to most of the things you'd see and just think "wut?".
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:30:08 PM by Sqthreer! »
 - Alexxx

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
I've been meaning to watch this and Archer more (and Braking Bad) but I can never seem to catch when they're on.

Seems like an okay show, but I wouldn't doubt liking it a LOT more once I got familiar with.

That and David Tennant is a sexy guy.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 05:36:09 AM »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »
I don't think it's the british humor. I love red dwarf. I really don't know.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 01:16:05 PM »
I actually wasn't a big fan of Red Dward, though I only saw one episode. Doctor Who is very different than Red Dwarf in that it's not a sitcom for one, and it's a lot more action packed. The comedy in Doctor Who is a huge part of it, but it's more of an action/drama show I would say.

Also I agree that David Tennant is quite haut. If I was born in the 52nd century I would be all over that shit.
 - Alexxx

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:23:23 PM »
Double-post for update on newest episode "Victory of the Daleks".

SPOILER ALERT:

So I am NOT a fan of the new Dalek design. Like, not one part of it. The new color scheme is just stupid. They're a weird bulky shape and their new "eye" and "arms" are dumb too :[

I have to say, in general, this episode was not appealing, and I'm pretty sure it's the writer, Mark Gatiss. He just happens to be the writer for three of my least favorite episodes: The Unquiet Dead, The Idiot's Lantern, and now Victory of the Daleks.

How could they fuck with the Daleks? There was no call for them to go through such a change. The only reasoning I can think of is that in order to justify bringing them back yet again, they'd change something about them. But the way they did it and the result just doesn't do it for me.

For a second I was all excited about how they coerced the Doctor into giving them that testimony and then quickly let down when I realized it was for somehow allowing a small machine (the Progenitor) in a big room to use the testimony to generate a "new paradigm of Dalek". Usually the writers have a sufficient explanation to some of the stranger technical concepts that come up, but not this time. Also, the shit where they talked the android scientist guy into somehow overcoming the Oblivion Continuum bomb from exploding inside him. They didn't explain how using his manufactured memories and emotions to convince the guy he was just like any other human had anything to do with the bombs detonation.

They pretty much wasted their time trying to convey how much more powerful these new Daleks are, too. It's been well-established how compelling their strength is individually AND in numbers. For them to be any more powerful would either mean they're only so much that it doesn't matter, or they're so incredibly strong that it's unrealistic (within the standards of realism in Doctor who, of course).

I'm going to give the new Daleks a chance though. I tried really hard to like them before I decided I didn't, but even then, things can grow on you.
 - Alexxx

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:04:07 PM »
Doctor and the Amazing Technicolour Daleks!

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs109.snc3/15727_10150172660715618_524535617_11882211_3652424_n.jpg

I came across this in a friend's 'trip to England' photo album. I'm pretty sure they have no idea as to the significance of this picture.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 02:19:31 PM »
Oh man.  :3  The latest episode was pretty awesome.  What I saw of it, at least.  My feed to BBC One seems to have a penchant for cutting out at the worst possible moments.  But hey, the fangirls on Livejournal will help me within the next four hours, so I can see whatever I missed. <3

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 02:09:25 AM »
fangirls on Livejournal

facepalm.jpg

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »
Hey, for the most part I agree.  But damn are they quick to put stuff up.