Author Topic: help with wireless networking  (Read 2787 times)

vladgd

help with wireless networking
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:19:06 AM »
so my cousin has a 360, he wants to get it up with the internet as we all do.  problem, he can't directly connect to the router.  wireless adapters cost money he doesn't have (he's like 15), and the only thing he can do is use a laptop as a point in which to plug in an ethernet cord to. 

i assume the thing to do would be clicking the option in the picture below.  the problem with that is i don't know what im doing and it asks me to manually set it up with numbers i do not know. 

i pretty much need information to get me started, im fairly aware ill need more information (maby brand of router they are using, whatever), so please let me know and ill get that. 

but in theory, set up a wireless router via his laptop, plug cord into laptop going into 360, 360 gets internet, he can use xbox live. 

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: help with wireless networking
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 05:31:04 PM »
What would need to take place here is as long as the laptop receives the wifi signal just fine, you're halfway there.  Just plug in the ethernet cord from laptop to 360, go to network connections, make sure both wireless and the LAN are enabled, then the important part....

right click wireless connection - > properties
second tab should say 'sharing', go there.
enable both check boxes (this is ICS, internet connection sharing)
then turn on the xbox and check the connection.

this is how I use my internet/laptop/360 for XBL and it works wonders for people who don't want to drop 90 bucks on a fucking USB adapter for the 360.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/