Author Topic: i have to be able to play this in a week  (Read 7126 times)

Kuroneko

i have to be able to play this in a week
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:04:31 PM »
Egyptian Legacy (it's a RAM file).

You hear the ridiculously high pitched shit?  I've got to play that. :(

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
Re: i have to be able to play this in a week
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 09:03:31 PM »
That actually sounds pretty cool.

Too bad you're boned D:

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Kuroneko

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 10:25:05 PM »
It's actually the music I want to modify and use for DM-LavaTemple if I ever learn how to make .umxs.  I'm actually not doing bad on figuring out the exact section I need to play, but I highly doubt I'll ever be able to play it as well as it's played by the Washington DC groups that played for that RAM.

Milk Chan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 10:34:15 PM »
I know how to umxs, but it's a long and tedious process (and requires a few programs to download because you have to do several conversions).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:38:36 PM »
PS: RAM sucks. Hard.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kuroneko

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:20:04 AM »
Yeah, RAM blows.  A lot.  Also, I've got it converted to an MP3, which is at least some sort of a start.  What's the exact process for making a UMX, because if you can get a fairly high quality UMX with a WAV/MP3/OGG as the original format then it shouldn't be hard for me to make my own music or any other kind of module (which I had planed on doing for LavaTemple with this music, I can very likely obtain a photocopy of the score some time).

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 12:46:33 AM »
UMX files are containers for tracked music (MOD, S3M, XM, and IT are supported)...nothing too special, really.  No need to convert modules to any other formats.  I believe UT2K3/2K4 allow you to use digital music in UMX (or possibly use some other method of doing it) but UT99 uses all tracked music (mostly ITs, with a couple of XMs and S3Ms).

I remember UMX files being rather simple to make (and to extract -- i.e. getting the module out of it) with UnrealED but I don't remember the exact steps; it's been a while.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Milk Chan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 03:23:19 AM »
It might be different (simpler) with 2k3/4. UT99, from what I remember requires about 3 or 4 conversions because there was no support for mp3s at the time. It was something along the lines of mp3->ogg->some weird format (IT or something)->umx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 05:44:23 AM »
IT = impulse tracker, a mod file, and considering umx is essentially a mod file container, it sounds like that's the step.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kuroneko

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 02:41:47 PM »
Oh, modules?  Nice!  So, once I get my hands on the score to this thing, I've just got to make an IT out of it and then find something that will change it to a .UMX.  Thanks :D

Kuroneko

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 09:17:15 PM »
UPDATE: I can almost play this consistantly now!  Since I won't be around much on Tuesday, I'll probably have to do the 56-60 VLN2/60-64 VLN1 test on Friday... and it helps that I devoted like 30 minutes to improving it tonight.  The only thing I've got left is polishing the incredibly quick shift from 1st to 3rd position, and an equally quick but way less hard 3rd to 5th position jump.  I really hate it when I go to play a C and it turns up as a C# because I shifted too far.  Blah.

Also:

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 09:17:29 PM »
Right-o! :)

Be careful if you use OpenMPT, though.  A lot of players don't like what it does to IT files to grant them special effects.  Standard Modplug Tracker should be fine.

Kuroneko

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 09:21:40 PM »
Yeah, there was quite a bit that I didn't like about OpenMPT, not just effects.  The fact that it would play notes when you had an instrument marked, and that it would continue to play a note even after you released a key.  The BPM calculator was the only new "feature" I actually liked.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 09:59:27 PM »
The fact that it would play notes when you had an instrument marked, and that it would continue to play a note even after you released a key.

I'm pretty sure that's a bug; it happens on my laptop but not my desktop...not sure which version is on my desktop system but my laptop is using v1.17.02.48.  Regardless, it is bloody annoying.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 02:16:56 AM »
lulz, violin. I used to play in my school orchestra, we played at Carnegie Hall, no joke. After that point, I pretty much decided I'd hit my peak, and quit. I never was terribly good, I'll stick with piano.

That song does look fairly tough, though, from the chunk of sheet music you posted. Those first few lines particularly :x