Author Topic: what the fuck is this yellow taint?  (Read 3191 times)

vladgd

what the fuck is this yellow taint?
« on: September 12, 2010, 04:05:29 AM »

here is what it looks like when i open a saved picture.  it has this yellow grey taint to it, far as i am aware, everything i save has this taint.  including that very picture i posted.  this happened after i installed sp2, but im annoyed with it, and trying the "new" windows "live" photo gallery has the same damn problem.  as you can see, the picture, and behind it, a nearly empty folder showing some contrast from the nasty taint i have on every picture i open.  

how do i fix this?  and no i don't want google's picassa because one wrong click and i have a picture i didn't want anybody to see on some random online gallery.  

*edit*

even opening that very picture in photoshop has the taint to it.  

the fuck.  and it doesn't modify the picture, as i reuploaded the picture posted here again after opening it in different tainted things, and it uploaded fine. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:08:45 AM by vladgd »

Ulti

• View Profile
Re: what the fuck is this yellow taint?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:17:39 AM »
Fuck, this happens to me too. I have no idea why either, I just gave up on fixing it. ;o;!

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: what the fuck is this yellow taint?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 04:53:31 AM »
The issue seems to be that Vista's color management picked the wrong profile for your display.  Go to the Control Panel, find the Color Management applet, and try using different profiles until you find one that works.  I had to do this for my CRT when I was running Vista because it set the target white point to 6500K instead of 9300K.  If I remember correctly, sRGB is generally a good one to use.

Windows 7 has a proper color calibration tool.  If anyone here is running into the same problem on that OS, go into the Color Management applet, click on the "Advanced" tab, then click "Calibrate display."  Drag the window to the display that needs calibrated (you'll need to do this on every monitor that you have connected) and it'll run you through a wizard.  After the wizard finishes up, it will ask if you want to open the ClearType Tuner.  I highly recommend it, as it will make your fonts look better on your display.  The ClearType Tuner should also be done per-monitor, as subpixel smoothing is very dependent on the monitor that you're using.
"This is a machine for making cows."