Author Topic: iOS 4.1 update  (Read 3732 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
iOS 4.1 update
« on: October 25, 2010, 02:13:24 PM »
About a month late, but I remember spektur talking about how shitty the iPhones performance was with the 4.0 update.

After I updated my 2nd gen iPod touch to 4.0, it was left off the charger in sleep mode/standby like it always has been before (with no issues). I wake up the next morning, turn it on and the battery is close to dead. That would have never happened before, EVEN if I were playing music on it the entire time.  I got lazy and haven't decided to fix it or research it until today, but I figured out that with the new update, some of the settings were changed/some were added, that make the Touch stay connected to a WiFi network even in sleep mode. This was killing everyones battery life tremendously. So thanks to everyone else solving the problem first, I changed some of my network options on the touch and am now currently upgrading to 4.1, which includes the Game Center.

Who else has an I-device, lets DISCUSS
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: iOS 4.1 update
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »
I have two iDevices. :s  One of them technically doesn't belong to me (yay work phone), but yeah.

I think Apple fixed that wi-fi issue in 4.1.  I have an iPod touch 4th gen and the only things that really drain the battery quickly are heavy Internet usage, games, and, to a lesser extent, the screen being on.  Downloading my Rhapsody library onto the device, for instance, murdered my poor battery.  That said, I think Apple calculates battery drain based on what you're doing, since it went from being barely in the red to a few pixels above it after I was finished.

I also have a jailbroken iPhone 3G running 3.1.3 that I have through my company.  I was actually given permission to jailbreak it after my boss bought an iPhone 4, just to see how much of its functionality I could replicate running iOS 3 (the answer was: just about everything!  The lack of RAM and slow CPU make you quickly realize why Apple didn't allow those things on that device, though).  I think I have a screenshot of the nearly-accurate WinterBoard theme I threw together*.

It's funny, I used to always think that the iPhone was a speedy device.  Certainly not a speed demon after upgrading it to iOS 3, but still quick.  Now that I have the Touch the 3G feels sluggish.  Funny how that works.

*The button labels cannot be pushed up/down to the same spot that they are in on iOS 4.  Also, icon shadows can't be done properly using just WinterBoard.  You can hack something together that makes it look even closer, but I think my theme is the closest that you can possibly get while still being able to use the device normally.

Edit: Also, I'm "spectere at gmail dot com" on GameCenter.  ADD MEH.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:39:45 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: iOS 4.1 update
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »
Speaking of iDevices, I just threw a quick test video of my iPod's camera up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-283qF7Xj-M

As expected, due to how ridiculously small the new iPods are the quality isn't anything to write home about, especially on an indoor shot.  The mic is also pretty sensitive, especially when you get too close and inadvertently breathe on it (I assure you, I don't really sound like Darth Vader.  Also, oops.).  Probably the most surprising part is how smooth the action is -- full 30fps at 720p.  Just...a little on the smeary side.  I'll have to try a daylight video and see if fares any better in those conditions.
"This is a machine for making cows."