Author Topic: My Computer broke but now it's fixed.  (Read 10423 times)

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
Re: Broken Computer
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 05:15:08 AM »
yeah. It would have especially sucked since I have four 256 sticks in dual channel, so no moar dual channel for one set. XD. Although I'm thinking a an upgrade to OCZ DDR400/PC3200 of two 1 GB sticks at a CAS latency of 2 would be pretty sweet. 2.5 GB at a CAS latency of 2 should be fine...

Spec, what are your thoughts on this... If I want, I can mail a PC to my shell host and they'll hook it up to the internet for me, so I would be able to have my own dedicated server but instead using their service. Good idea y/n?

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Broken Computer
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 05:47:43 AM »
Well, if you have a computer customized for whatever job it's supposed to be used for that you can't get for cheaper using a service, it sounds pretty good. But read the fine print to see what they will and will not do, since they could easily say "you can send it to us, well hook it up and give you access, but if it breaks, you're hiring someone to fix it" and stuff.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: My Computer broke but now it's fixed.
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 03:41:57 PM »
Spec, what are your thoughts on this... If I want, I can mail a PC to my shell host and they'll hook it up to the internet for me, so I would be able to have my own dedicated server but instead using their service. Good idea y/n?

Depends on a lot of things.  Like Bobbias said, make sure you know what happens if something breaks.  If your host is physically close to you, you could probably get physical access to the box.  If not, you might have to get it shipped back and forth, which could potentially be expensive (shipping rates) and may be damaging (to the system itself).

On the other hand, you're going to have a lot more of control over the service and probably a much faster Internet connection than if you try to host at home.  If you want to seriously upgrade The Tree's services, that's the way to go.

Of course you're probably going to want to fit it with Linux/BSD before you ship it out, make sure SSH is enabled so you can still talk to the thing, etc.  No worries about licensing that way.  Regardless of which OS you choose, make sure to configure a restrictive firewall, only letting through the necessary services.  I could try to help you get ipchains set up if you decide to go with Linux (I have an ipchains-based router set up in Maryland -- our Linksys "router" literally only works as a wireless access point and a switch :P); I'm not entirely sure what kind of solution BSD uses (ipfw?).

Also, make sure that whatever system you choose makes it easy to install updates on the box.  You definitely don't want to get knocked down due to security problems.

Regardless of the potential issues, I'm kind of inclined to say "hell yes" to the dedicated server idea so long as their policies are tolerable.  You're going to have a ton of control if you do that.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 11:23:51 PM »
Yeah, I never thought that that sort of service was possible. That is definitely a great thing if they have good policies.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 03:08:26 AM »
Well, I'll have to wait and see... I'll first need to upgrade my computer. XD

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.