Author Topic: Headset problems  (Read 14361 times)

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
Headset problems
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »
I just purchased a Triton AX Pro headset today, tried tweaking it around a bit, and it sound alright I suppose. Unfortunately when playing left 4 dead 2, the sound is very muffled and sounds retarded, nothing like surround sound at all. Christ, my old 20$ surround sound headset sounds better. Not sure if my settings are wrong or what, but if I can get some help to fix this before I start to lose it, Thanks.

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: Headset problems
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
How are they connected and to what? PC/Console using USB, 1/8th jack, component, or digital optical?

Found this pic of all the box's contents, did you get everything here? (aside from the power supplies, some models come with 1 PSU and a splitter) http://www.minhembio.com/forum/uploads/monthly_10_2009/post-176395-1255522011.png
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »
How is the headset plugged in, 3.5mm, USB, or optical?

Also, some thing do rely on the Windows speaker type to be set right.  If you're using Windows XP, go into "Control Panel" and "Sounds and Audio Devices," the click on the "Advanced" button on the bottom section of the dialog.  Make sure that it's set to the appropriate surround sound setting.
"This is a machine for making cows."

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:42:10 PM »
Its 3.5 mm, and I used the 4 jacks, the pink green black and orange, I had them plugged in correctly and everything. Also, there were like 2 different settings I could use, 1 was "speakers" xfi extreme audio, and the other was digital audio s/pdif, xfi extreme audio. I tried both, and it seemed only the "stereo" one would tune and work properly when I was messing with equalizer settings. When I tweaked them with a song playing, it sounded semi ok, still not as good as my cheap ass 20$ surround sound headset, and when I went into the game, it just became worse. Sounded muffled, an as if I was in like a corridor or something. But by the looks of it, I think i'm gonna go with an easy fix, and just trade this headset in for th USB one instead, and bring the soundcard back as well.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:05:22 PM »
Wow, I don't understand....I just went and got the USB headset, and the exact same thing is happening...I personally think its just the trittons in general....They suck! My fucking 20$ A4tech headset sounds better than them for christ sakes. I might as well get my money back and get a new gfx card instead or something.

Kulli

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »
I might as well get my money back and get a new gfx card instead or something.

*a week from now*

My old $10 gfx card worked better than this piece of shit!

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »
Wow, I don't understand....I just went and got the USB headset, and the exact same thing is happening...I personally think its just the trittons in general....They suck! My fucking 20$ A4tech headset sounds better than them for christ sakes. I might as well get my money back and get a new gfx card instead or something.

soundcard in your PC? update drivers if possible

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »

Which OS are you using?  Windows Vista and 7 are very different beasts, and many sound cards allow you to apply effects ("enhancements") to the final mix.  If any of those are enabled and not tweaked right they could caused the audio to sound crappy.

If you really want a set of headphones, give Skullcandy a shot.  My dad and I both have headphones from them (I have a set of Skullcrushers, my dad has the Hesh) and they deliver very crisp sound.

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 11:20:46 PM »
I'll throw my 2c in and recommend some Sony MDR-V6s. Relatively cheap and still VERY high quality sound, full ear experience with supreme bass that isn't muddy or dry. They've been making these bad boys since the early 80s and people still hold them as the most durable headphones they've had that also offer the same great performance no matter how much you use them. There are 2 more 'higher' models that come after the V6 that offer small improvements such as larger drivers or gold plated connectors.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665089914

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_MDR-V6

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 12:08:16 AM »
If you really want a set of headphones, give Skullcandy a shot.  My dad and I both have headphones from them (I have a set of Skullcrushers, my dad has the Hesh) and they deliver very crisp sound.

As a borderline audiophile that makes me sad inside. While skullcandys might be better than your average cheap shit, they should in no way be compared to brands that actually sound good :/
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 12:39:40 AM »
As a borderline audiophile that makes me sad inside. While skullcandys might be better than your average cheap shit, they should in no way be compared to brands that actually sound good :/

When on earth did I say that they compared to better headphones or were intended for audiophiles?  You're putting words in my mouth.

They're good if you want something in the $50-60 range and are awesome for games, especially Skullcrushers (mostly due to the subwoofers; you can feel explosions and the like).  It's pretty obvious that he wants it mainly for games.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:41:21 AM by Spectere »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 05:01:15 AM »
Cnet reviews, sorted by editor's rating, $20-$30 range
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/?filter=100021_10194732_&tag=mncol;srt&sort=edRating7+desc
Where are skullcandys there? Halfway through the second page.

Cnet reviews sorted by user's rating, $20-$30 range
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/?filter=100021_10194732_&sort=userRating%20desc&tag=mncol;page
Where are they this time? Top of the 4th page.

Cnet reviews sorted by editors rating, $50-$80 range (there was no 50-60)
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/?filter=100021_10194681_&tag=mncol;srt&sort=edRating7+desc
Where are they? Page 7.

Cnet reviews sorted by users rating, $50-$80 range
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/?filter=100021_10194681_&tag=mncol;srt&sort=userRating+desc
The TiTan earphones are on page 1, because of a single 5* review, which is hardly a review at all (and the only one that user has made). I'm pretty sure you realize how unreliable most user reviews are anyway.

My comment about being a borderline audiophile was about the fact that unlike a lot of the public, I actually care about audio quality enough to know what I'm talking about. Most of the general public hears a headphone that sounds better than $5 POS earbuds and thinks it sounds amazing.

I would definitely suggest Sennheisers or Audio-Technica, or AKG products. And if you can go a little over the 50-60 range, I'd even suggest Grado SR60's, for about $79. They are actually audiophile headphones, and compare favorably against Sennheiser headphones that are much more expensive (plus, they have better bass than the senns).

I would definitely say to go for a company that has actually been making headphones for years, such as Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, or AKG, rather than a company that seems to be just going for the style aspect. I'd bet you any money that as long as you put a tiny bit of effort into making sure you don't buy a specific pair that sucks, anything from any of those companies would be acceptable, and likely sound quite a bit better than skullcandy headphones.

Also, I hear skullcandys are quite fragile (no personal experience there, so I really don't know, but that is something I hear a lot). About the only headphones I would reliably say Skullcandys are better than are the Urban Audio ones... Those are trash.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kulli

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 12:55:56 PM »

ps he's talking about video games, not the difference between 320 kb/s and FLAC

I personally recommend the Skullcrushers, too. I hear everything well, despite using a pair of $20 earbuds.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 01:10:07 PM »
I was going off what spectere said. In just about any price range there are better headphones than skullcandys out there. If all you care about is how they look, be my guest, but last time I checked it's nice to have headphones that actually sound good (you'd be amazed how much better games sound with awesome headphones).

By no means does he have to follow anything I said, or even read it, but being someone that actually cares about quality (and last I heard, skullcandys have a habit of breaking quickly), I thought that I would put forth some suggestions for alternatives that aren't skullcandys.

Also, cheap headphones make everything (including 320 kb/s mp3s) sound a lot worse than it should.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:12:20 PM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 11:00:50 PM »
soundcard in your PC? update drivers if possible

I fully updated the drivers to the most recent, still didn't really do anything.

Which OS are you using?  Windows Vista and 7 are very different beasts, and many sound cards allow you to apply effects ("enhancements") to the final mix.  If any of those are enabled and not tweaked right they could caused the audio to sound crappy.

If you really want a set of headphones, give Skullcandy a shot.  My dad and I both have headphones from them (I have a set of Skullcrushers, my dad has the Hesh) and they deliver very crisp sound.

I'm using Windows 7, and I tried tweaking the settings out as much as I could, maybe I was doing something wrong, but i'm really not sure. I tried the USB version of the Trittons, and personally, they sounded the exact same way...I personally think it was just the quality of the headphones themselves. Because those headphones were actually the earlier versions compared to the Tritton 720's and what not. But then again, I don't think they should sound shittier than the A4Tech HD-800's I purchased for $20. Also, with those skullcandy headphones, do they have a mic? I'm looking for something with a microphone on it as well and those didn't look like they had one. Also, I'm looking for a good surround sound headset, the current one I have is a 7.1 surround sound headset, so I should look for something 7.1 surround. I was actually thinking on getting the Psyko headset, seems pretty awesome, but at the same time, I don't wanna buy them and end up being disappointed with them.

I'll throw my 2c in and recommend some Sony MDR-V6s. Relatively cheap and still VERY high quality sound, full ear experience with supreme bass that isn't muddy or dry. They've been making these bad boys since the early 80s and people still hold them as the most durable headphones they've had that also offer the same great performance no matter how much you use them. There are 2 more 'higher' models that come after the V6 that offer small improvements such as larger drivers or gold plated connectors.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665089914

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_MDR-V6

Again, it looks like these don't have a mic, but I don't know.

When on earth did I say that they compared to better headphones or were intended for audiophiles?  You're putting words in my mouth.

They're good if you want something in the $50-60 range and are awesome for games, especially Skullcrushers (mostly due to the subwoofers; you can feel explosions and the like).  It's pretty obvious that he wants it mainly for games.

Correct. They're mainly for gamaing, but at the same time, I DO want good sounding music. These A4Tech headphones have good sound for both. Unfortunately, I would stick with the A4Techs, but first off, they broke on the left headphone, and I had to superglue it back together, and 2, the program to use to tweak the sound settings isn't compatible with Windows 7. I try to open it, it takes like 45 minutes to open, then afterwards, it never saves the settings, and takes up all my memory....I tried playing left for dead 2 when I tweaked them, and it said, fail to launch, because I didn't have enough free memory to do so.

I just want something that sounds like full awesome surround sound, where it feels like I'm sitting in a room, surrounded by a bunch of speakers, and not wearing headphones. And before you say "well just go buy a good surround sound system for your computer", I'm not going to because I like to listen to my shit loud, and I'm tired of getting the cops called on me for noise complaints. And I personally like headsets better anyway :)

Oh, also, if I were to get a new good set of headphones, what soundcard should I get? Because I normally used the soundblaster XFI Xtreme audio, not sure if I should bother with any other one or not.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:02:43 PM by NewF »