Author Topic: ITT Alice and Spectere discuss DMZX  (Read 17138 times)

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
ITT Alice and Spectere discuss DMZX
« on: December 08, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »
Hey, at least this forum gets more posts than DMZX.  Where I don't think I've seen somebody who isn't a spambot register for months.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:02:07 AM »
More posts that DMZX?  Yikes...what happened there?  That place used to be hella active (well, more active than this place, at least).
"This is a machine for making cows."

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »
Lots happened there, really.  I think mainly what's happening is everybody who's been there for years is getting a life but little new blood is showing up to replace them.  zzo38computer and smilymzx are back, and we have somebody named Giel who posts occasionally, but most of our other new people disappear after a while or leave in a big huff.  AJS hasn't released a new version of MZX in over a year now.  Also, Scorch3000 is banned, Why-Fi "left forever", Paulguy stopped posting after he got banned from #mzx, and Maxim hasn't been around too much, which I think has helped the forum's demise.  I'm hosting a Christmas Avatar Wars at the moment, though, and we have plans (but no host D: ) for the Winter 2011 DsDoZ, if you feel like coming back.

tl;dr off topic bullshit

淫蟲

• 我們要有思想改造
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
Also, Scorch3000 is banned, Why-Fi "left forever", Paulguy stopped posting after he got banned from #mzx

Why are you complaining LOL!

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »
I'm not, just citing possible reasons why activity might have died down

Scorch sure posted a lot

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 07:16:42 PM »
zzo38computer and smilymzx are back

Oh god.

I'm hosting a Christmas Avatar Wars at the moment, though, and we have plans (but no host D: ) for the Winter 2011 DsDoZ, if you feel like coming back.

Eh, my main reason for silently leaving was just that I fell way behind on Robotic and haven't been able to catch up, plus I was never really that great on the graphics side of it.  Robotic is kind of a kludge right now because nobody took the effort to push toward a new generation (not that I blame them, that would be a huge undertaking) and I have enough programming to do in my day job to want to dissect it. :p

One of these days, maybe.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
zzo38 forked MZX to add new features... but most of them are pretty much useless unless you're zzo38.  He also added Forth support x.x

As for the main line, Exophase made a pretty detailed roadmap to progress Robotic, and there's a development fork for Robotic Debytecode, which has a few syntax changes.  Unfortunately, AJS and Terryn seem to be the only people doing major MZX work at the moment, and they haven't done much recently (AJS promised a new version before the next DoZ though).  Lancer-X has actually stepped up and began optimizing and cleaning the code, but I don't know when/if his changes will be applied to trunk :/

edit: Maybe this thread should be split :F

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: ITT Alice and Spectere discuss DMZX
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 06:26:11 PM »
Forth?  Really?

Then again, it's zzo38.  I really shouldn't be surprised.  Do his posts still read like they were translated from English to Russian, then back to English?

I remember seeing something about Robotic and the Debytecode release last time I lurked there.  It's good that things are finally starting to progress in that direction.  Maybe Robotic will be come more betterer now. :o  That's really my main issue with it.  It is at the point where it's about as functional as an actual programming language but it still feels like the old Robotic.  It drives me a little nutty.

Also, if whoever ends up hosting the DsDoZ needs web space, have them e-mail me or something.  I know that always seems to be an issue with those. :3

edit: Maybe this thread should be split :F

Bah, fine.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 08:27:10 PM »
Yeah, Forth.  Zzo38's quite literate now, if a little hard to follow sometimes.  His spelling's pretty much perfect but he still has aspie grammar.

If you want to try debytecode, http://mzx.devzero.co.uk/snapshots/ get the latest one, especially if you're installing on Ubuntu from .deb since ajs had to manually fix the latest one or something.  The colors are a bit wacky and I've already complained about them, but quote marks are almost gone, for the most part, and everything is context sensitive and sexy.  It still has a few bugs though, one of my latest games makes it go boom :(

I think ajs already plans to host the DsDoZ FTP, but thanks for offering!  I'll run it by Terryn & co. in #mzx (we moved to SlashNET btw)

edit: TBH it's really scary that the DoZ is less than a month away and nobody's even stepped up to hosting, though.  Lancer basically said last time that he's never going to host a DoZ again, and I don't think Terryn's too keen on hosting another one either.  We'll see, though.  I'm trying to get them to make GIT Debytecode the official version for this DoZ.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:30:36 PM by Alice »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 10:25:43 PM »
Quote marks being gone is a major win in my book.  Writing expressions in 2.8x was about as fun as putting your head through a brick wall (slight exaggeration).  Debytecode was definitely something that needed to happen for MegaZeux to evolve beyond what it was, so it's kind of exciting to see that sort of progress.

I'm kind of curious as to whether the whole Exotic thing is ever going to happen.  It's an awesome idea and would definitely make a lot of things easier, but it sort of feels like vaporware at this point.

And yeah, if you guys need a mirror for the DsDoZ stuff, give me a shout.  I have plenty of disk space and bandwidth that I'm not using, and this server seems like it's pretty speedy.

Speaking of hosting, do you still use your subdomain at all?  I remember that the server I was on before this one wound up kinda breaking everything.  If you're having any issues, let me know.  I've had quite a bit more free time lately now that I'm not working 12+ hours a day. :x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 01:19:56 AM »
Did you try out Debytecode?  It's pretty great, but I'm not switching over to it for serious use for a while.  Looks like we're going to DoZ with the normal MZX but I'm trying to organize a half/quarter DoZ in February that's debytecode-only.

Yeah, I still use my subdomain quite a bit.  I got a free belsambar space specifically for MegaZeux related stuff but Insidious has proved to be a flake in multiple ways and my space disappeared at some point, followed by his host fucking him over and some other stuff that nearly lost us !zaphbash and some other historical stuff.  Terryn had to recover it from his logs.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 04:13:55 AM »
Haven't tried Debytecode yet.  I downloaded it a while ago, but didn't play around with it at all.  And yeah, try to push that shit, mang.  We needs us some progress!  I suppose their biggest concern would be stability at the moment, but I imagine that'll be a non-issue by February.

And Insidious still has to compete with me for the biggest flake award (at least I'm self-aware, amirite?), though at least your web space has been accessible (for the most) since I was like "here u go now leve me alone 4ever" way back when.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »
Seriously, try it out it's best thing ever ;-;

Reason #1: Comments are now //
Reason #2: equation/counter/number differentiation are context sensitive now and have a degree of color coding
Reason #3: commands can be written in uppercase or have their first letter capitalized or whatever since the source is stored instead of bytecode.
Reason #4: Comments are now //
Reason #5: No more gigantic yellow mess of strings anymore (strings are still yellow, but equations are purple and counters are red)
Reason #6: Don't need quotes for fuckin' everything anymore
Reason #7: Comments are now //

Also, I think Insidious wins the flake award.  Outside of webhosting, but he backed out from a PathFinder game he was running because he ran out of ideas.  Thing is, he didn't tell any of his players about it, and we were stuck waiting around for him to show up.

Also, the Exo's poetry thing where he threatened to pull hosting on Z2

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 03:24:50 PM »
Reason #1: Comments are now //

What were they before? I hate things with non // comments...
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »
. "text has to go inside of these quotes and has to have a period at the start of the line"