Author Topic: Cheating in The Sims (or any game)  (Read 5197 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Cheating in The Sims (or any game)
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »
So my girlfriend's sisters got Sims 3, and ended up giving us all their Sims 2 DVDs to play, so for the first time I'll be installing this game ACTUALLY LEGITIMATELY.

I pose these questions to you good sirs (and madams):  Is the Sims 2 (or any sims) still as fun when you cheat from the get-go? Does the reward factor go down when you have everything given to you instead of working your poor ass sim through their bachelor days to a mansion?

Both my girl and her sisters have always cheated from the beginning with the sims, and I'm just wondering where you all stand on this. I enjoy cheating in certain games as much as the next person, but normally after a non-cheat affected play-through (like GTA titles).
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

K-Mann

Re: Cheating in The Sims (or any game)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 11:34:05 PM »
I find that cheating from the get go lets you play god more easily than not. In the Sims everything is your choice to do with what you want, but when you are given MORE choices earlier (by cheating), you go through your "god phase" (ie doing everything that you wanted to do in the first place) much faster. It shortens the amount of time that you spend playing because you're basically done everything you want.

There is always the fact that you will think of something else to do with the Sims after a playthrough, but its usually a little more rewarding to have done a playthrough without the cheats. That way you increase your playtime, which is rewarding in and of itself, and you still have the chance to go through all the stuff you WANTED to do by cheating after.

As for other games, its usually up to what it is that you want to accomplish by cheating. If you are in sore need of money in Sim City, it would be beneficial to drop yourself a couple thousand to keep your city prosperous to complete challanges. But if you are activating invincibility to play through Doom 3, it won't be as challenging, and you'll know you cheated at the end. Its really how you feel you want to reward yourself.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:36:47 PM by K-Mann »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:46:03 PM »
Yeah, I more or less agree with that. Mind you, I hate the sims, so about the only fun I've ever had with that was finding out how to kill my sims the most interesting way possible.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »
I pose these questions to you good sirs (and madams):  Is the Sims 2 (or any sims) still as fun when you cheat from the get-go?

Honestly, I think that the Sims games are only fun if you cheat. :x  Otherwise it's far too much like real life, only at a stupidly fast time scale that makes it impossible to do anything but work, eat, sleep, and occasionally get a bathroom break.

As for other games, I cheat for fun.  Whether it be something juvenile like giving myself stupid amounts of TNT in Minecraft or giving myself absurdly high stats in Oblivion, it can definitely bring some life to the game.

I also like making game mods that are hilariously cheap (for the enemies).  Anyone remember that video I uploaded of sPoop for Quake?  I seriously need to finish that shit.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:14:52 AM »
I've never really played the sims, and all my friends would cheat and just kill their sims off. Some games are just more fun with cheats, because it allows you to do whatever the fuck you want. It would probably kill off all chance of longevity the game has, so I'd do it later in the game.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:40 AM »
Honestly, I think that the Sims games are only fun if you cheat. :x  Otherwise it's far too much like real life, only at a stupidly fast time scale that makes it impossible to do anything but work, eat, sleep, and occasionally get a bathroom break.

Yeah, I usually had kids skip school because of that shit.  Can't do fuckin' anything while they're in it.  In Sims 3, I also have the parent(s) usually become writers or hackers.  I want full control dammit!!!!!!

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »
Yeah when I played the sims for the first time, it was on xbox, that "bustin out" one. At first I didn't use cheats, but further in the game I had alot of other stuff to do, and it just got annoying with having to constantly eat clean go to the bathroom sleep and all that other crap to keep your bars filled. So I used a cheat to be able to automatically fill the bars and e able to do more things. Made the game much more enjoyable that way.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
Yeah, that shit's just trying to get people to waste more time playing the game.  Believe me, working from home and having kids ditch school revolutionized my opinion of Sims 3.

Also lesbians

flaffl

• KOREA MEMBER ^_^ FUNNI KEKEKEKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 02:24:55 AM »
The way of playing The Sims is practically parallel to playing any game from the Metal Gear Solid series: You have one of two options to play the entire game. You can either do the Solid Snake method, the way the game was meant to be played, by swiftly moving by and sneaking by with as minimal casualties as possible. Then there's the "typical gamer" method, which is shoot everyone on sight, don't give a fuck about alerts because you'll get out of that situation anyways. It's the same, you cheat to get by the game and simply enjoy the game, or you play it by the rules to REALLY enjoy how much intricate and time is put into building the game. It's whatever you want to do.

TL;DR: it's up to you.

Cheating can make the game assloads of fun. Quick backstory: Sims cry and piss their pants when they see ghosts. Once on Sims 2, I invited/spawned everyone in the neighborhood in this room I created to fit everyone. I killed one of them off, which spawned a ghost. Once the ghost spawned, there were roughly 40 Sims that had simultaneously cried, and pissed themselves. Then I watched the hot maid clean up every damn bit of it.