Author Topic: Dualview monitors help!  (Read 4758 times)

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
Dualview monitors help!
« on: January 29, 2011, 11:45:49 AM »
basically I wanna setup a dualview where I play my games on 1 screen and am able to do other shit on my other screen without having to alt+tab down. Is that possible? If so, how the hell do I do it? Cause if I setup a dualview, my second screen just shows a background and no start bar or icons, it just showing the background. And if I set it to clone, that doesn't help, it just does the same thing on both monitors. Not to mention it messes up the resolution on the monitors. 1 of my monitors is the 1980x1200 and the other is 1280x1024. Also, I want it set where both monitors have my start bar and all that stuff, but it'll only play the games on 1 monitor so I can still do stuff on the other. Help me! I suck!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 11:47:35 AM by NewF »

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: Dualview monitors help!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:55:56 PM »
I've had this type of setup before, mostly just a desktop extension where as you've described, the 2nd monitor has no start bar. This application I found took care of some of the issue, as you are able to dock windows on the 2nd monitor and maximize them without affecting the 1st monitor.

MulitiMonitor TaskBar:
http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

The only issue I came across with no solution (I didn't really try hard to fix this), was playing a game with a full screen option, and using the 2nd monitor. Back when I played WoW, if I was playing fullscreen and went to the 2nd monitor or Alt-tabbed to something on that side, it would make the game I was playing 'click' out of full screen and minimize itself, much like it does when you only have 1 monitor.  The only solution that kind of worked for this purpose is setting whatever resolution my desktop was, to the game itself, so that it was 'full screen', but I was able to mouse over to the 2nd monitor without really screwing anything up.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:33:14 AM »
Thats alright I don't mind it, but is there any way to customize the bar to actually have a start button or look like my current start bar?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:12:40 PM »
I believe I used that program quite a while ago (or it seems to do much of the same things that another program I used). Judging by it's site, there's no ability to have a second start menu (I'd bet making a second start menu is quite a bit harder than most people would expect.)

That site says they support XP themes and such if you get the pro version.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:17:33 PM »
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:37:23 PM »
Well yeah, switching to another shell can do that, but I kinda assumed he didn't want to switch his entire shell to something else just for that... But yeah, using another shell can really help out with explorer's weaknesses. Though some of them have their own limitations as well.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:05:36 PM »
The easiest option, without buying any software, is to simply unlock your taskbar and drag it to the second monitor.

As for not having game minimize when you want to use the second monitor, your only two options would be to either run the game in windowed mode or use a "windowed (fullscreen)" mode that some games offer.  Not a lot of games offer that mode, though.  I know that WoW does.  I saw another game that had it, but I can't remember which one it was.  It's kind of a rare feature because it usually decreases game performance.
"This is a machine for making cows."