Author Topic: video output troubles.  (Read 44100 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: video output troubles.
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 10:44:20 PM »
The 8800 might be perfectly alright.  It's entirely possible that the HD 5830 draws less power than the 8800 does.  Case in point: my laptop's GPU (a 7900 GS Go) runs hotter and draws more power than my friend's laptop's Mobility HD 46xx series, despite the latter being far superior in terms of processing power.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »
Yeah, load and heat/efficiency really does vary from processor to processor.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 10:22:10 PM »
Running fine right now (had a restart happen when I moved my GPU around a tiny bit trying to get to a loud fan) but everything seems grand so far. I just need to figure out how to update Rivatuner and I'm good.

Again, thanks for the help :3c.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 10:58:37 PM »
Again, thanks for the help :3c.

De nada!  Hope everything runs well for you. :D

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »
Now when I run a high resource game it runs at a bad frame rate (Batman Arkham Asylum now runs at 14 FPS average as opposed to running fine on my 8800 GTS).

I'm going to delete everything from ATI/Nvidia on my PC, run CCleaner and then run Driver Sweeper.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
Yeah, definitely wipe out the video card drivers.  I was able to do a fairly seamless swap from my 9800GTX to the HD5830, but there are usually problems when you go from NVIDIA to ATI or vice-versa.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »
It's honestly more then likely my fault, but this should hopefully unfuck everything.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2011, 11:12:50 PM »
Actually, did you uninstall the NVIDIA drivers before installing the ATI ones?  I believe I did do that before I swapped the cards out.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 12:17:32 AM »
No, and I'm done with installing drivers from the net after I uninstalled everything, cleaned my PC, and then restarted and now the new hardware wizard is still telling me I am missing hardware. Should I let it install?

Last time I let it ran it installed some Nvidia software part, so I'm somewhat reluctant to do that again.

Yeah, no, terrible fucking idea. It installed some Nvidia software again and then told me there might be hardware errors. Why in the blue fuck can I not download everything I need off of the ATI site, how fucking dumb can they be.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:46:44 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 01:43:49 AM »
I'm not sure which ATI driver package you've downloaded, but both available downloads have everything that you need.

Go into Control Panel -> Programs and Features (or Add or Remove Programs if you're still on XP) and make sure that the NVIDIA software package isn't installed.  It sounds like it's still on your system.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 02:30:47 AM »
I deleted everything Nvidia off my programs list, and I'm searching for anything with Nvidia on it and deleting it, then I'm going to use Driver Sweeper. I don't think CCleaner should have anything to do with this, as it just clears my cookies.

These Nvidia display drivers refuse to go, and I can't seem to find out why. Fuck it, I'm going to "install" my new drivers despite that never working and not allowing me to initially check online for updated drivers...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:44:37 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 02:50:36 AM »
Wait, did you grab the HD5830 drivers from ati.com?  Even if the NVIDIA stuff is still stuck in there, installing the ATI driver package should override the NVIDIA drivers, since the two cards can technically coexist.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 05:12:51 AM »
I'm downloading drivers from XFX.com, and I believe I already got the ones from ATI/AMD.com but I'll do it again just to double check.

So far I'm still getting the "hardware not configured right" or whatever error and I've downloaded like 5 different things.

Nope, downloaded it and it still said I have new hardware installed and the windows installer asks if it can run (not letting that happen again). I'm going to sleep on this, as it's obviously not anything I need to download and install, there's literally nothing left for me to install.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:29:49 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »
If you already have the drivers from ATI's site, don't download the drivers from XFX's site.  There usually isn't much of a difference, if any, and the cards from the board manufacturer are always going to be a few steps out of date at least.

Outside of odd card configurations (such as a new card specially rigged to run on an AGP system) you should always get the reference drivers from ATI/NVIDIA.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 07:57:26 PM »
Outside of odd card configurations (such as a new card specially rigged to run on an AGP system) you should always get the reference drivers from ATI/NVIDIA.

What are reference drivers? I'm still getting missing hardware messaged every time I start up, and my computer locked up recently.

Fuck, my PC is randomly freezing up now.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:12:29 PM by MortifiedocAlot »