Author Topic: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!  (Read 256881 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!
« Reply #300 on: October 19, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »
I'm a week late for this, but: RIP Dennis Ritchie.

What's with all of the computer people dying lately? :(

I'm pretty sure my chrome has a memory leak. Leaving it open and then trying to use it again makes it initially really sluggish.

I don't recall experiencing anything like that when I was using Chrome...13-ish on my Desktop.  I almost never close my browser on this system.

You're not using one of the beta releases, are you?  It would really be a shame if Google started putting out unstable releases.  Then again, if it was a long-standing issue, it could explain why Chrome suddenly started running relatively poorly before I stopped using it.

Edit: This post on the Opera forums is a year old, but mirrors my experiences with Opera on this system: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=581922. Not good.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:09:52 AM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #301 on: October 20, 2011, 01:55:18 PM »
More "exciting" browser stuff on my laptop: I dumped Opera and went to Chrome.  In an extra-ordinary change of character, Opera decided to get crash-happy.  I pinpointed it to the memory usage growing perpetually as it stayed running when a plugin was present on one of the web sites that I was visiting.  For instance, if I were to go on YouTube and let the browser idle, the memory usage would seem to get worse and worse, and Opera would eventually cause the entire system to start dragging (my laptop uses a single core Pentium M).  It's not an issue with Flash itself, as I used Firefox in the exact same way and its plugin container never ballooned, so I can only assume that it's a bug in Opera.

I believe that it's plugin system in general was flawed.  Watching any sort of streaming video on this system was literally impossible, while both IE8 and Firefox 7 were able to play 720p YouTube videos (which I think is impressive, considering the age of the system and the video card that it's equipped with).  Opera managed about 0.2 fps on 360p content, which is not an exaggeration in the slightest.

Considering how I use my laptop (i.e. hibernating and sleeping instead of shutting down, and expecting to be able to use my web browser between usage sessions), that was unacceptable.  I'm back on Chrome on this machine and it really does seem snappy as far as XP browsers go.  It's kind of a shame that Opera didn't work out, as I rather like it.

I'm still happy with IE9 on my desktop machine so far.  There are a few niggles (not being able to CTRL+PGUP/PGDN between tabs is very ARGH sometimes) but nothing too horrid.  It took less adjustment than going from IE9 to Opera, but it wasn't as straight-forward as going from Firefox to Chrome.

Well gee ionno I leave my Operas open for months and that never happens :<    glad you're happy with your new browser though!!!

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #302 on: October 20, 2011, 07:57:01 PM »
Well gee ionno I leave my Operas open for months and that never happens :<    glad you're happy with your new browser though!!!

Somehow I knew that was coming. XD  luv u

The weird thing is that I've used Opera on plenty of other systems without having an issue.  I don't know if it just has issues with a particular version of Flash or what, but all I know is that it's okay without Flash and crashes after a couple of days (which isn't bad, but I'm kind of bitter about losing the contents of a few of my tabs) on sites that have Flash.

Oh well, as long as I don't have to put up with Firefox* I'm okay.

*Which is a browser that sports a 10 second startup time on my laptop with no addons installed (compared to IE8 at around 4-5 on MSN.com and Chrome and Opera at 1-2 with their default pages) from a dev team that has the audacity to bash every other browser while theirs falls further and further behind the curve?  Fuck you, Mozilla.  Seriously, fuck you.

Edit: To be fair, Firefox 7 (which I only use for streaming videos, and that's only because AdBlock Plus is so damn good) does start up very quickly on my desktop machine most of the time -- which is a massive improvement over 4, and especially 3.x -- that still doesn't defend the shitty attitude that the devs have to competition.  All they did when they realized that IE9 was actually going to be a good browser in its own right was bash it and try to cut it down.  While some of Microsoft's marketing claims were a bit gimmicky (yeah, hardware acceleration, we get it), the fact that the Mozilla devs lined up to take potshots is nothing short of ridiculous.

A perfect example is the controversy over IE9's SunSpider results.  A Mozilla developer essentially accused Microsoft of cheating the test while, in reality, the low benchmark score was caused by Internet Explorer 9 essentially eliminating no-ops from the code.  Namely, a function that does a ton of work without returning any meaningful results.  He then mentioned that the function wound up running as expected when he put some sort of return value at the end of it.

Okay, how can I say this tactfully?  Let's see.  First of all, if you're writing an interpreter of some sort and don't know what dead code elimination is, you should probably consider maintaining another part of the codebase.  Second of all, if you're really surprised that making the function return a meaningful value negates dead code elimination, you should probably consider maintaining a different part of the codebase.  Seriously, I'm an idiot compared to some of these engineers and these optimizations are mindnumbingly obvious to me.

CONSPIRACY THEORIST ALERT: I think it's seriously an attempt to kick up some FUD.  Mozilla either is, or is close, to being the dominant browser and is now running into the exact same issues that caused IE6 to get shitcanned in the popular votes.  Microsoft has released their first respectable web browser in a while, so what's the best way to curb another increase in market share?  Simple: to discredit it.  People are far more likely to whine about Microsoft than an open source project, after all, even if they're a completely unfair target for once.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:20:43 PM by Spectere »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #303 on: October 26, 2011, 06:04:57 PM »
I've been toying with the head unit in my car for the past week to try and squeeze as many decibles out of my current speakers as I can.  Strangely enough, I've had that deck for eight years now and I haven't stopped finding settings that would allow me to make better use out of my hardware.

My change yesterday trumped all so far.  My deck has a mode called SF-EQ that pushes different frequencies out of the front and rear interior speakers.  Essentially, this will let you push lower midrange and bass out of the rear speakers and upper midrange and treble out of the front speakers and/or tweeters.

Before I continue, this is what I'm dealing with right now.  I have a Pioneer DEH-5500MP head unit (4x50W peak, 4x22W RMS) with a P-bus auxiliary adapter installed.  My car uses 6" speakers all around.  I'm not sure what the models for my speakers are (and I don't feel like popping the door panels and rear shelf off, thank you), but I have a set of 6" 2-way Rockford-Fosgates in the rear and a set of 4-way Pioneers in the front.  The Fosgates deliver reasonable bass and excellent midrange with poor treble while the Pioneers deliver decent bass, good midrange, and fantastic treble (it has two little tweeters on it, so if you push the 10-12k range up, hihats and cymbals are ear-piercing).

As anyone would guess, the problem that I always ran into was that too much bass would cause the front speakers to distort and too much treble would cause the rear speakers to distort.  I'd tried to use SF-EQ in the past to mitigate that, but while it seems like a no-brainer, the configuration options are lacking, to say the least.  There is no real way to adjust the cutoff.  It's pretty much just "somewhere in the middle of what you might consider to be 'midrange.'"  So, obviously, it takes quite a bit of dicking around to be able to figure out how in the hell you're supposed to make it sound decent.  I've figured out the secret to taming it a bit, and it's a very subtle one -- the fader.  Setting it to the rear increases the perception of bass and setting it to the front increases the treble.  It seems obvious, but when you consider that there are three other ways to adjust the bass and treble it's easy to neglect.

I threw a bunch of different music at it from every genre that I have on my iPod and found that I have to go back to Ex-EQ for songs with heavy midrange, as the EQ behaves strangely when you reduce the midrange (probably due to the fact that there are so many seemingly unrelated settings for it) and pushing more bass on the front speakers helps that.  In some other cases, the bass frequencies creep a bit too high and move into midrange territory and cause the rear speakers to distort, so I have to play with the midrange band to exclude that (which, in turn, negatively affects other songs...sigh).

In other songs, most notably anything on Celldweller's first CD (haven't tried anything past that), it sounds incredible.  With Ex-EQ I'd have to cut the volume back to get reasonable bass or cut back on the bass to get louder overall volume.  With SF-EQ I drove the speakers hard and they didn't distort.  The bass wasn't as loud as it would be with a subwoofer, but it was at least there, which is more than I could say about my previous settings.

Unfortunately, now I'm running into limitations of what the amplifier can handle.  Oh well...

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #304 on: October 28, 2011, 02:48:22 AM »
Actually, I take that back about Opera -- admittedly, I'm using an older version in Kubuntu on my iMac, but every time there's a flash video on a page and I try to navigate to another page, there's a slight chance that Opera will crash altogether.  It only happens in linux on my iMac and it's pretty uncommon.  I'm running a much newer version of Opera on my Windows XP (lol) box and it's never done anything like that.

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 02, 2011, 10:45:53 AM »
Phone interview with Amazon tonight for an internship position.

(borrowed from http://futilitymistress.deviantart.com/art/I-M-NAUSEOUS-33900141, courtesy of Google)

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #306 on: November 02, 2011, 11:11:55 AM »
We believe in your ability to be awesome!

(except for that Spectere guy.  But he's a dick.)
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #307 on: November 02, 2011, 07:08:07 PM »
Good luck man, hope everything goes/has gone well.

Phone interviews suck :/
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #308 on: November 02, 2011, 07:45:40 PM »
(except for that Spectere guy.  But he's a dick.)

I believe in Filburt.

(but seriously, good luck, bro ;D)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 02, 2011, 09:06:26 PM »
TAM-
PONS

So I was woken up this morning to find that one of my cats, who was running around and seemed fine, was laying dead in my living room carpet. No one seems to know what happened to her, but my mom thinks a spider might have bit her (she had a big bruise and a bump like a bite when she was sitting on the computer, where this cat usually sits). So I'm guessing that why, that or it was some sort of heart attack. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:32:36 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #310 on: November 04, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
Sorry to hear that, man. :(

It's amazing how much they become part of the family.  It was pretty surreal when our dog died a few years ago.  It was odd not having her around.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 05, 2011, 04:46:09 AM »
Thanks, but honestly my dad was pretty happy about it. The cat would CONSATNTLY pee in the house and attack our other cat. Still, sad to see her die.

That leaves 1 pet left after 4 a few years ago.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #312 on: November 05, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
Damn. I had a cat die a couple years ago, and that was awkward for a while. I'd had her my whole life (She was actually older than I was).
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #313 on: November 06, 2011, 01:20:49 AM »
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Kalgaras/Female+Token+1.png.html

I've been beating my head against bricks trying to find the original image for this.  Halp plz :V

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 06, 2011, 01:12:12 AM »
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.