Author Topic: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!  (Read 254254 times)

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
Re: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!
« Reply #750 on: June 27, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »
Steam link has been a worthy investment. I bought it brand new, this sale is an absolute STEAL. It doesn't work great with everything, but typically anything with native controller support it's pretty flawless. Games like the 1st installment of Assassin's Creed, or ME2, or Oblivion where you alter the controls through modded files typically DON'T work for some reason. I still haven't figured out why.

My only other gripe is those moments I have to run upstairs to my PC because my game crashed or froze or something and I can't just vulcan death grip out of it even with my wireless keyboard in the link.

My favorite thing though is just the use of my PC in general through the link. If you just exit big picture in the link menu you can proceed as normal on your PC which is nice.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #751 on: June 27, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »
Tried street fighter 4, and maybe its my laggy tv, but the input delay is too much for me to deem playable.

Yeah, there's no way a fighting game is going to work on something like that. Not only would you be dealing with TV lag, but you're also going to be fighting with network latency, not to mention the time it takes your computer to compress the video, not to mention the roundtrip for the Steam Link to send the input to your computer. At the very least you're dealing with 1-2 frames of input lag, not including all of the other crap.

That being said, it works surprisingly well for less frame-accurate games. I played through all of Saints Row 4 using in-game streaming to my iMac, and I've also played a fair amount of Space Engineers as well. Aside from video compression artifacts, I didn't really have any issues.

Oh, another nice thing is that if the device that you're streaming to has a higher resolution display, you can use DSR (or whatever AMD calls their equivalent to that) to add higher resolutions. For instance, when I last did in-game streaming, I had my gaming PC connected to a 1080p display, while my iMac has a 1440p display. By adding a DSR factor of 1.33x to my computer, I was able to render gameplay at a native 1440p, which Steam then streamed to my Mac at that resolution. Pretty nice! Having it render at the native resolution instead of it upscaling 1080p content did a lot to help reduce how noticeable the compression artifacts were as well.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 27, 2017, 11:47:06 PM »
Well I liked the thing...for about 3 hours until my controller just decided to stop working mid game.

But then, why does the controller turn on the steam link, or navigate all of the menus perfectly fine, just wants to not function mid game anymore for no reason?

For reference, I'm using a ps4 controller via bluetooth. I have tried plugging in my ps4 stick which was the thing I used to get to the menu to sync up my ps4 controller, and even that doesn't work mid game anymore.

The Gabe givith, and the Gabe taketh away. At least I can watch youtube on this thing, but it's totally useless for games right now.

*edit*

unplugged my 360 stick from my pc because i remembered that's what caused skyrim controls to not work...and...its never an easy solution with me, didn't work at all

*edit*

I guess it's defaulted any controller compatable games to controller, I can't even figure out how to play the damn things on my pc proper now, I'll keep editing as I figure out this clusterfuck. I literally can't even play southpark at all. It needs a controller to play for whatever goddamn reason, so I plug my ps4 controller wired into my pc, and even that doesn't fucking work(BUT IT DOES FUCKING WORK BECAUSE IT STILL WORKS WITH STEAM MENUS PERFECTLY 110% FINE). I cant even use mouse and keyboard controls.

If I would have known steam link would make my games unplayable, I wouldn't have bought the damn thing. Have not yet seen a solution other than "wait for firmware breh"

*edit*

Well I got it working. I went to the beta version which didn't work back to the normal version and it decided to work. No idea why, but that's the first place i'll look when it happens again. Not sure why that would affect me playing on my pc without steam link though...will need to look into it later...after i beat south park...it's p good...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:06:48 AM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #753 on: June 28, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »
Are you running something like DS4Windows? If not, give it a shot. If you're not familiar with it, it basically lets you use your PS4 controller as an XInput device (and optionally hide it from DirectInput). That alone can fix a bunch of weird problems. You can also do other nifty stuff, like use the DS4's trackpad as a mouse, or things of that nature. Pretty sure it works with Steam Link as well. That *might* make it work more reliably in the long run.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #754 on: June 29, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »
Sitting in a bar in montreal with the gf drinking cocktails... Just heard my best friend from college is going to have a kid. Going to see Hiromi Uehara at the jazz festival here. Shits fucking awesome
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #755 on: July 10, 2017, 04:23:19 PM »
I finally realized that you can install unsupported operating systems in Linode. I'm thinking of switching s.net over to OpenBSD. There's literally zero chance of systemd infecting *BSD, after all. I'm also considering Devuan as well. It's basically Debian (which I'm very familiar with) without systemd.

The recent security vulnerability with systemd is just the icing on the cake. The number of times I've had to reboot freyr because systemd ate its own head is a bit silly, not even mentioning the number of times I've had to do a hard reboot because literally nothing on the box would work. And considering that's happened across two separate distros, well...

Meanwhile, my game server--which is under significantly more load, given that it runs both Factorio and Minecraft--runs Gentoo and...well, take a look:

Code: [Select]
spectere@loki ~ $ uptime
 20:18:45 up 388 days, 22:22,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.12, 0.10

freyr, on the other hand...

Code: [Select]
spectere@freyr:~$ uptime
 16:18:24 up 8 days, 20:56,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I did updates 8 days ago on freyr and it caused systemd to have a manic freakout, preventing me from starting and stopping services, checking logs, or doing...well, much of anything. Shutdown and reboot didn't work. Had to do a hard shutdown, because why not. That's good to do, right?

So yeah, I finally need to pull the plug on systemd forever. No more second chances. I hate breaking out in a cold sweat every time I update the server.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #756 on: July 23, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
Newegg was selling the Oculus Rift for $400 yesterday so I, uh, kinda sorta bought one.

Depending on which warehouse it ships from, I should either get it on Wednesday (New Jersey, Tennessee) or Thursday (California). Obviously, I'll have more detailed thoughts on it a few days after I get it, when I manage to stop drooling.

Edit: It's shipping from New Jersey. Should be here on Wednesday!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:30:13 AM by Spectere »

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #757 on: July 24, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »
Newegg was selling the Oculus Rift for $400 yesterday so I, uh, kinda sorta bought one.

Depending on which warehouse it ships from, I should either get it on Wednesday (New Jersey, Tennessee) or Thursday (California). Obviously, I'll have more detailed thoughts on it a few days after I get it, when I manage to stop drooling.

Edit: It's shipping from New Jersey. Should be here on Wednesday!

Oh man, that's AWESOME! I'm so cheap but deeply interested in the rift. I've binged so many hilarious videos on YT of people playing it. Let me know how it goes.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #758 on: July 24, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »
Will do! I've already downloaded the VR-supported titles that I own on Steam. Project CARS hype! Oh god, I just remembered that Elite: Dangerous supports VR. :O

Debating on whether or not to bother with vorpX/Vireio. Stereo 3D is nice, but I'd really prefer it if head tracking was functional.

Actually, scratch that. Zipping through SEUM in VR--head tracking or not--would be fucking awesome.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 25, 2017, 11:16:50 PM »

I wanted to try one before bed, but 14.2% abv...gonna wait...

Burbon barrel aged malt liquor? lol ok

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #760 on: July 26, 2017, 06:34:14 PM »
LOL I'd have a hard time justifying a pack of that, but I'd sure as hell want to at least try it for the novelty.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 27, 2017, 12:10:03 AM »
Sipping it now, reading things about it, one commentor called it a "session bourbon" and that fits this drink pretty accurately. It's a sipper for sure, there's definately some malt liquor character in there, but the barrel aging and the high abv makes it drink more like a liquor.

Surprisingly nice, I've had high gravity malt liquor before (schlitz bull ice, UGHHHHHHHHHH) and didn't enjoy it, but this stuff is pretty good...if you're expecting a super high abv beer that has no place calling itself a beer. Thinking about it though, this stuff actually earns its title of malt liquor, unlike the standard stuff out there.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #762 on: August 01, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »
The site migration almost felt like it went too smoothly. Either I missed something critical or I'm getting good at this!

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #763 on: August 07, 2017, 09:15:51 AM »
Locked, per this news post. Please create new topics instead. This will better facilitate the flow of conversation.

TIS THE END OF AN ERA.

* Spectere pours one out for his homies.