Author Topic: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!  (Read 255798 times)

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
Re: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2011, 10:06:17 PM »
It really annoys me when people talk about searching for "planets with the conditions to support life."  I literally want to scream "AS WE KNOW IT" immediately after I hear someone say that.  The assumption that any other interplanetary life has to have the exact same structure and makeup as Earth life is beyond arrogant.

Agreed good sir...we are a spec of dust in this great big universe.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2011, 11:59:01 PM »
It really annoys me when people talk about searching for "planets with the conditions to support life."  I literally want to scream "AS WE KNOW IT" immediately after I hear someone say that.  The assumption that any other interplanetary life has to have the exact same structure and makeup as Earth life is beyond arrogant.

Please.  Every life form from any planet loves ice cream, pina coladas, and "How Stella Got Her Groove Back."
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2011, 11:50:02 AM »
"How Stella Got Her Groove Back."

Implying I'm not alive much?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Vinshuka

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2011, 12:37:18 PM »
The thing about pina coladas is true though, I mean I hate pinapple juice and cream of coconut but I'd drink pina coladas everyday if I could. So delicious.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2011, 04:02:46 PM »

Well, like in all science the "as we know it" part is implied. The main conditions we're looking for is liquid water and a consistent source of energy, which are two things that all known life on Earth, and thus all life known to us, needs. If we knew a kind of life that required different conditions, we'd look for those conditions as well. It's not arrogance so much as ignorance. No one's saying that places like Mercury or Pluto are completely barren of life, just that we don't know how life could evolve in those places. Which really means that there's no point speculating about exoplanets supporting life until we know how alive our own solar system is.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:11:11 PM by annon »

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:35 PM »
Well, like in all science the "as we know it" part is implied. The main conditions we're looking for is liquid water and a consistent source of energy, which are two things that all known life on Earth, and thus all life known to us, needs. If we knew a kind of life that required different conditions, we'd look for those conditions as well. It's not arrogance so much as ignorance. No one's saying that places like Mercury or Pluto are completely barren of life, just that we don't know how life could evolve in those places. Which really means that there's no point speculating about exoplanets supporting life until we know how alive our own solar system is.

Well yes, but the way that it's worded does little but spread that ignorance like wildfire.  I'll bet that if you walked into a restaurant and asked people if we were alone in the universe, many people would answer with a definite "yes."
"This is a machine for making cows."

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2011, 10:41:51 PM »
Well yes, but the way that it's worded does little but spread that ignorance like wildfire.  I'll bet that if you walked into a restaurant and asked people if we were alone in the universe, many people would answer with a definite "yes."

WE ARE TEH ONLY LIVE BEING CUZ WE ARE HUNANZ!

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2011, 11:13:50 PM »
My CPU fan will not stop making this horrifically annoying sound (almost sounds like a wire is hitting the fan, but I checked all around it and didn't see anything).

It's no good.

It was a goddamn mobo fan, had to ghetto rig a zip line to pull the wire out of it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:08:09 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2011, 01:11:54 AM »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »
I find it funny that I talk to ulti all the time and he never comes here. What the hell man.

I'm enjoying Firefox 4 so far. Feels a bit slower then Chrome, so I might convert to it one of these days. Still, I love how my bookmarks are arranged on this.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/photos/the-kill-team-photos-20110327/0602176

I also wonder how common this would be.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:37:52 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2011, 06:37:30 AM »
Apparently FF4 is still completely unusable on 64bit systems.  :/ It completely crashes out almost instantly on my computer.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »
Well, it is in Beta, but that's really odd.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »
Apparently FF4 is still completely unusable on 64bit systems.  :/ It completely crashes out almost instantly on my computer.

I use Firefox for Netflix and other online videos.  I have yet to have a problem with it, aside from 3.6 being a slow hunk of shit (4.0 is much better).

Well, it is in Beta, but that's really odd.

Not anymore.  It's been out for about a week.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2011, 11:05:31 PM »
I've only had FF4 for an hour or two now, but so far, I likes.

So do my doggies.  In fact, they're fighting over it. 

...in the future, where it's already daylight.
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25:10 AM »
I use Firefox for Netflix and other online videos.  I have yet to have a problem with it, aside from 3.6 being a slow hunk of shit (4.0 is much better).

Yeah, it was insane how slow 3.6 was, enjoying 4.0 much more.

Also, I evidently cannot get onto Facebook and Imgur. Unsure what that's all about.