Author Topic: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!  (Read 255807 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!
« Reply #540 on: August 27, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »
That's a lot of doodads. Nice buy! I just looked up a pic of the NDX400 and, yeah, I can see what you mean.

Speaking of audio-related stuff, I ended up getting some new toys myself (clicky to enlarge):

• Behringer X1204USB mixing board
  • Behringer C3 condenser mic
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs studio headphones
  • Gator Frameworks Kick/Amp stand (which works great on a desk!)
Sounds absolutely phenomenal for voice recording (which is what I intend to use it for)! I did underestimate how unbelievably sensitive condenser mics are, but it's really not a huge deal to shut the window when I need to record.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 27, 2014, 02:15:31 PM »
Neat! I have the Behringer C1; lovely sound. Haven't recorded a whole lot on it but what I have sounds great. I've also used it for a karaoke house party my roommate had for her birthday, which worked out great.

I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

jinxie

• Meow!
  • cool kids club president 2004-2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 27, 2014, 04:36:37 PM »
when I need to record.

incoming original shaker ass

HYPE

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #543 on: August 28, 2014, 08:52:18 PM »
Neat! I have the Behringer C1; lovely sound. Haven't recorded a whole lot on it but what I have sounds great.

It took me a while to choose between the C1 and C3, actually! The main thing that caused the C3 to win out was my uncertainty over whether I'd actually need figure-8 or omnidirectional pickups. As it turns out I've used cardioid almost exclusively, but at least the functionality is there if I need it (and the price difference wasn't too ridiculous). :) I get really weird when features are at stake.

I've also used it for a karaoke house party my roommate had for her birthday, which worked out great.

You know, I was honestly kind of wondering the other day if Rock Band would pick up my mixing board as a USB mic or not. The only thing that's really stopping me from trying it is because I don't want to tear everything out and move it into the other room, haha.

incoming original shaker ass

asdjfkl;

HYPE

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:55:23 PM by Spectere »

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 29, 2014, 05:47:03 PM »
Lol they have a USB version I'm sure you ran into while shopping, I think they just stuck a letter "U" on the model number and slapped a USB port in there.  I wonder if that would work.... it does require a preamp/phantom power supply though so I am not sure how that would affect it.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #545 on: August 30, 2014, 05:39:06 PM »
I've seen USB interfaces that can provide phantom power without any external power source, so it should be fine. Not sure if the Xbox 360 would put out enough power over USB to make it work, though.

I wouldn't get it for Rock Band, though. I don't really play it all that much anymore, haha. If I got something like that it'd be for recording let's plays on my gaming desktop. All of my audio gear is set up on my iMac while my Windows box is in the other room. While the Mac world definitely has more in the way of gaming than it used to, Windows still wins out in that department.

I guess I could always run a long XLR cable through the wall and just record using the X1208. That might be a little excessive, though. :p

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #546 on: August 30, 2014, 08:41:19 PM »
oshit, I'm alive.

In other news, fucking nothing going on here :/
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 01, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »
I have attempted being active in other hobby/passion related forums and it really isn't the same as it was 10 years ago (surprise surprise) as far as internet forum activity goes.  I guess everyone is on facebook or whatever.. the internet forum thing is slowly decaying like the newspaper. No one cares enough to put thought into the shit they put out online, to string together a few coherent sentences seems like an impossible task of this generation.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #548 on: September 02, 2014, 12:30:48 AM »
I've been active in about one other forum lately. It's awful. Then again, every time there's a new shift in how we communicate, everyone always decries it as being awful, so :/

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 02, 2014, 01:00:33 AM »
In terms of community, I don't really use forums anymore for that reason. I frequent two places, one of them is a chatroom and the other is a mumble server. I do wish more people would use the internet forum, but with more immediate ways to communicate, I guess it's not as popular anymore. Still, they have a use, maybe I just haven't found a new forum community to fit in with. I'll browse some shoryuken.com forums, with the very RARE post, but I mainly just use game forums for information, not to post.

It's not all doom and gloom though, I have still been getting involved in communities on the internet, just not via forums. Although to think of it, the communities I am a part of now that aren't forums...started with a forum. They just branched away from them.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #550 on: September 02, 2014, 10:56:11 AM »
I browse teamliquid.net and the osu forums (only the osu!mania section and some of the more technical spots though). Dont post much on TL because I'm just not following things the way I used to, and the osu forums are a cesspool of terrible due to lack of moderation (and an average age of like 12 :/)

I don't think forums are likely to really ever disappear though. They're a great medium that since every post is immediately visible and open to response and also are preserved over time (unless deleted I guess).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #551 on: September 02, 2014, 12:54:51 PM »
Not to mention that it's a lot easier to ramble on forums than, say, Twitter.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #552 on: September 05, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »
Posting from my new laptop. I got really burned by the last Dell I bought (literally and figuratively) so I replaced it far faster than I usually would (2 years, compared to my last laptop, which gave me around 7 years of great service). Still have to get used to the new keyboard layout, but aside from that I really like it so far. Decent battery life, doesn't get too hot in normal use (my Dell would literally idle at around 55-60C, which is just absurd), and has plenty of power when I need it. Best of all, since ASUS seems to know how to design a proper cooling system for an i7 laptop, this processor is able to stay in turbo for extended lengths of time. I've had it doing some fairly light work for the last several minutes (roughly 20% CPU utilization) and it's stayed at 3.3-3.4GHz, up from the normal 2.4GHz. The Inspiron 17R SE that it's replacing never jumped from the normal clock rate (which, incidentally, is also 2.4GHz) for very long.

Next step is slapping in the SSD I ordered along with it and reinstalling the OS. Woot!

Edit: Well, the laptop is pretty awesome. Windows 8.1 was a pain in the dick to get installed (it doesn't pull in Windows 8 OEM keys properly, so you have to do a ton of dicking around to get it to work just like you do if you want to make it pleasant to use on a non-touchscreen system [and people wonder why my main system is now an iMac]). I used to praise Windows 8 for how it handled OEM keys, but apparently Microsoft saw fit to break the one thing that Windows 8 truly did well. GG.

It's a bit on the heavy side, but nothing I can't handle. 8) I'm really impressed at the thermal system that ASUS has. It doesn't use NVIDIA Optimus or anything like that, so it's literally using the GTX 765m for everything, unlike my old system that used the Intel HD 4000 for general tasks.

The UEFI BIOS in the ASUS works way better than the one in my old Dell. That one had a tendency to refuse to boot from a CD/DVD at all if there was already an OS installed. Getting Windows 8.1 reinstalled on there to give it to my dad was just a nightmare.

About the only thing that was truly better on the Dell were the speakers, and that seems to be something that Dell gets right quite a bit. The speakers on the ASUS simply do not get very loud. For some reason they're placed in the small gap between the monitor flap and the base of the system, so they are noticeably muffled. Even with the volume cranked up to 100 they aren't particularly loud. The subwoofer does sound better than the one on my last Dell, however. It has a smoother, more natural sound. The highs and overall volume, however, are nowhere near as good.

The headphone/microphone jacks on the ASUS, however, are much better. For one, the headphone jack is a hybrid port, similar to the one found on most newer Macs. You can get a little 3.5mm to optical adapter plug it into an S/PDIF receiver. I was also much happier with the volume and clarity of the analog ports. I'm not sure exactly how they ran the jacks on the Inspiron 17R SE, but they definitely did it wrong. The audio was fairly soft and was excessively noisy. I'm pretty sure the front audio jacks on my PC (which, by their very nature, cannot deliver acceptable sounding audio) did a better job. I haven't plugged my Sennheisers in yet, but even with a simple pair of basic vintage 2010 Apple Earbuds it sounded noticeably better.

Startup times with UEFI and the SSD in place are just downright absurd. I haven't really timed the cold boot performance yet, but starting up from hibernation is blazing fast, with Windows reporting a BIOS time of 1.5 seconds! I'm pretty sure it wakes up from hibernation as fast as my Android tablet wakes up from sleep (then again, that's most likely because it's running TouchWiz...ugh).

Did I mention how cool this thing runs? I did? Too bad, I'm talking more about that. I had it sitting on a tray table for about 2 hours, watching a bunch of YouTube videos. When I put it to sleep almost the entire system was cool to the touch. The left side of the base felt like it was around room temperature and the right side was just slightly warm. The entire top of the laptop was actually cool to the touch. It felt like the fans were completely off. It doesn't seem to matter how warm the laptop gets, the keyboard and wrist rest don't seem to warm up. I'll have to throw a fairly demanding game on it and see how much that changes things.

So yeah, I like it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:18:37 PM by Spectere »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #553 on: September 07, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »
NEW POST (since the last one was getting long).

I did some game tests (namely, Crysis and Just Cause 2) on the new lappy and it continues to impress. Crysis simultaneously didn't push the system very hard and didn't get a framerate above 20fps, regardless of resolution and detail settings. Not sure what was up with that, but that game is a mediocre shooter when I'm in the best of moods so I didn't screw around with it too much.

I cranked every of the settings in Just Cause 2 aside from v-sync and anti-aliasing (which I kept at 4x) and ran it at 1080p. The game stayed above 30fps in all but cutscenes (20fps minimum; apparently film grain effects are srs business). As for the temperature, the CPU package maxed out at 51C, with a few of the cores topping off at 55C. The GPU averaged around 60C, maxing out at 68C. What made it more impressive was that this is performance on my lap, not on a table. ASUS seems to do an awesome job at partitioning the different thermal zones as well. Even during the gaming sessions the wrist rest and keyboard didn't heat up at all, and the SSD/HDD temperatures didn't budge (stayed at a comfortable 38C).

Idle temperatures are generally around 40-45C for both the CPU and GPU: slightly higher than my 2005 Inspiron 9300 (generally stayed around 30-35C in normal use and conditions) but a far cry from the 55-60C idle temperatures from my 2012 Inspiron 17R SE. Daddy still likey.

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 11, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »
I need a new lappy. You remind me of that fact lol. As a DJ in this age of technology, I need to get a mobile PC that is up to par with current standards. My ASUS U80a is 6-7 years old and shows it's age via the fan making noise and thus getting warmer than it should/has in the past - I definitely wouldn't trust to take it out to perform with.  I had considered replacing the fan and putting an SSD in it, but at this point the performance gains wouldn't be enough to make it a viable machine for anything other than Netflix (which it has a hard time with HD). Also the RAM is unable to be upgraded past the factory 4GB.

Mostly I need to run DJ software and maybe some production software, so nothing crazy and definitely no more than 2 cores and 8GB.