Author Topic: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!  (Read 256232 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!
« Reply #660 on: November 08, 2015, 01:48:40 PM »
My biggest problem is that I have a tendency to drink fast, so I've learned to give drinks a little time to settle so that I don't end up regretting everything the next morning,

On a related note, have you ever tried Zombie Killer?  It's a wonderful, wonderful apple/cherry cider: http://www.bnektar.com/brews/zombie-killer/. I highly recommend it if you can find it near you. I need to try some of their other products, actually...they all look pretty delicious.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #661 on: November 14, 2015, 08:16:37 PM »
i finally managed to finish off my bottle of jägermeister, only to realize that i have ANOTHER bottle of jägermeister, which is a spice flavor or something (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #662 on: November 15, 2015, 03:54:36 AM »
Oh hey, it's you! Hi! ;D

And ah...yeah, I'm still working on a 1.5L bottle of Jägermeister that my cousin bought me for Christmas last year. It's probably going to take me another two years to finish that off. <_<

Edit: Oh yeah, I turned 31 today. Yay?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 04:07:34 AM by Spectere »

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #663 on: November 15, 2015, 12:29:22 PM »
Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-* I don't even know what I'd do if I had the 1.5L bottle... I think my regular jäger was a .75L and the spiced jäger is a .375L.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #664 on: November 15, 2015, 02:12:50 PM »
Thanks! ;D

You know the worst part about the 1.5L bottle? I ended up getting a 375mL bottle the same year (apparently there's no such thing as too much Jäger). :s I've just been refilling the 375mL bottle when it runs out since that 1.5L one won't fit in the freezer.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #665 on: November 15, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »
Haha that's a pretty good idea.  Somehow the 750 fit in my tiny fridge freezer until I finished it, though.  Couldn't put anything else in.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #666 on: November 15, 2015, 09:23:15 PM »
Lucky! I guess it taking up the entire freezer is a good incentive to finish it. I have a full-sized fridge/freezer, so the 375mL bottle doesn't really take up too much room, and the 1.5L bottle is stowed away in my closet.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #667 on: November 16, 2015, 06:57:48 PM »
wtf, americans know mls?

Also, happy belated bday s-man.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #668 on: November 17, 2015, 01:45:54 AM »
Um, yes? Our schools teach the metric system pretty much right from the beginning.

Also, thanks!

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 17, 2015, 05:28:57 PM »
When I started taking college classes again, and getting into the science oriented classes, it's all metric system. Plus, not sure if it's just me in this country, but for liquids, I personally prefer using liters over gallons/pints/whateverthefuck. Way simpler.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #670 on: November 17, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »
It's funny, everything in school is metric, then you get out in the real world and half the shit out there is in imperial sizes anyway.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #671 on: November 17, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »
Fluids seem to be kind of split. Water bottles seem to be more commonly measured in milliliters (16.9 fl oz is just awkward). Smaller bottles of soda are measured in fluid ounces (16/20 oz bottles), but larger bottles are measured in liters (1-2L). Some hard liquor is measured more prominently in milliliters, beers are generally measured in pints, and we generally measure shots in fluid ounces. It's weird.

And yeah, Bobbias, I think in your case they're trying to teach the new kids metric a lot more heavily so that they can work to fully replace it. That's definitely not something that people are going to be able to adjust to very easily, especially if they've been dealing with Imperial units for 30+ years. From what I've read and heard about the UK they seem to be even more dysfunctional when it comes to measurements. They seem to use metric in quite a few places, though they still stick with miles per hour, and they seem to measure weight in stone (which converts more cleanly to pounds than kilograms).

I'm kind of wondering when we're finally going to start making the switch. When we do, I can't even imagine how long it's going to take.

One thing that I really don't understand is the switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius for outdoor temperatures in some areas. Fahrenheit is basically a nice and granular measure of comfort, while Celsius is based solely on the freezing and boiling points of water, something that's not entirely relevant if you're curious as to how nice it'll be outside. I suppose on one hand it's nice to try to keep the number of differing measurement systems down as low as possible, but in some cases it simply makes more sense to have different units.

I dunno, maybe it's just something that takes time to get used to, but, to me, 100F gives me a much better idea of how miserable I'm going to be when I walk outside than 38C does. And I know that when you're getting into negative degrees Fahrenheit, you're going to have a bad time, whereas the line is a bit blurrier when you're talking about Celsius.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 18, 2015, 01:58:26 PM »
With temp, I'd rather just Celsius since the rest of the frigging world uses it. I can understand being uncomfortable with the change, since my mind is tuned to Fahrenheit when it comes to the weather. However freezing/boiling at 0 and 100 makes a lot more sense in my brain than 32 and 212.

Or to keep the scientists happy, let's just not use either, and we can use Kelvin instead! No negative values, great for equations!

It's 289°K Right now!

Pretty damn warm for November to be frank. I do hear snow is coming later in the week though.

And about the liquids, it is kinda fucky around here isn't it? For soda you can get an 8oz can, 20oz bottle, or a liter, or a 2 liter. 5th of liquor, 750ml. Beer? Pint.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #673 on: November 18, 2015, 05:31:44 PM »
Well I do still measure weight in pounds, and small distances in feet/inches. We often measure water temperatures in f rather than c too, but as far as weather goes, c works just fine for me. 0-10 is cool, 10-20 is not bad (21 being 'room temperature) and 25+ is 'it's getting hot out'. 38 is 'fuck this shit'.

What amuses me is that we often have the same sizes as the US (16/20 fl.oz) but measured in ml.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #674 on: November 19, 2015, 01:51:27 AM »
+1 to the Kelvin idea.  For some reason I think it would be nifty if 260° were actually quite cold.

And yeah, I remember being amused by the bottle sizes the couple of times that I visited Canada. The 500 mL water bottles are kind of a reverse example that we have here, as the prominent measure is still in fluid ounces. 16.9 fl oz, to be "exact!"