Author Topic: borked HD? try gentoo: HALP KERNEL PANIC D:  (Read 11592 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: So my harddrive is fucked...
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 09:03:51 PM »
Considering that you could potentially be liable for someone else abusing your Internet connection with unprotected wi-fi (liability is still a very shaky thing when it comes to that), I would put as much between them and your network as possible.

WPA2 still has yet to be fully cracked yet (hole 196 did *not* completely shatter WPA2), and even WPA-AES offers reasonable protection, so there's no reason not to be using one of those.

As for configuring wireless, it's not so much understanding the underlying structure as it is understanding how the distribution works and the configuration options for whatever is installed.  As per *nix tradition, there's almost nothing standard about it.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 03:18:46 AM »
WPA2 still has yet to be fully cracked yet (hole 196 did *not* completely shatter WPA2), and even WPA-AES offers reasonable protection, so there's no reason not to be using one of those.

So you wouldn't recommend having JUST a pass-worded modem? I live with basically one neighbor who MIGHT be able to get access (the router is to a wall, but I live on acre plots of land).

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 04:34:34 AM »
I'm not sure I follow.

If by passworded you mean the setup interface, then that's not going to prevent anyone from getting on your wi-fi.  All that's going to do is prevent them from making changes to the configuration.

If you mean that you need a password to connect to your wireless at all then you're most likely using some sort of wireless encryption.  Some modems do have built-in wireless access points, so if you don't have a router, per se, you might still have secured wireless.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 06:56:05 PM »
Well I'm a step closer to where I want to be right now. Apparently dmesg says that brcm80211 is looking for firmware that I dont have.

I have the b34-fwcutter to grab the firmware out of a driver, but I can't seem to figure out what driver to cut it from, and when I try, it just says that the MD5 is wrong.

All I need is bcm43xx-0.fw..

PSEUDO-EDIT: Found it from a link to a debian git repository, downloaded, placed in right spot, and it works. and I figured out how to configure everything else I needed reading the gentoo handbook.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 07:22:37 PM »
Ah yeah, I didn't even think of that.  Wireless firmware is annoying.

My favorite Linux wireless experience was when I needed to get my laptop's wireless working and the site that hosted the firmware for the Intel 2100BG driver was down. D:

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 08:06:40 PM »
Ouch. Well, I'm now posting from konqueror in my shiny new KDE desktop, emerging mplayer, and trying to figure out how to get flash working...

I've got the adobe-flash package emerged, and pointed konqueror to the right location, and hit scan for plugins, but got nothing.

So I decided to emerge chromium and see how that works, since I love chrome anyway.

I've noticed something about the wireless though, which is really annoying. It seems to drop out all the time, and not automatically connect. It's not a huge deal because all I need to do is type "iw wlan0 connect bobbias" but its kinda annoying, is there some way I can configure things to automatically reconnect?

EDIT: I found a tool called wicd, hopefully that will help things, though from the sounds of it its designed to restart the interface when it stops, rather than reconnecting to the correct SSID when the connection drops (which in itself is a bit unusual because the connection quality is pretty good.

EDIT2: And I'm still compiling Chromium :/ good god this takes a long time.

EDIT3: Great, I begin to get things working, and end up taking a few steps back. For some reason my wireless is becoming somewhat unstable. I couldn't get a DHCP lease, and I've been stuck manually running dhclient to get it (not that bad, considering I actually know how to use iwconfig and iw now).

The real step back though is that I decided I wanted to grab PulseAudio and get it working, because flash in chromium doesn't have sound, and now my system tells me that my main device isn't working. The fuck. I've done emerge --newuse -p world to check if anything needed to be rebuilt after selecting pulseaudio as a use, and I rebuilt mplayer, but none of the kde stuff came up.

EDIT: Well it seems that now pulseaudio might be working, but KDE doesn't like it. It tells me that a device isnt working, and I can't get kmplayer to play music, but flash finally has sound.

EDIT: and it mysteriously works.... Though I still cant get sound out of mplayer :/ (and all the levels are up, nothing is muted)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:01:26 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 04:33:19 AM »
doublepost for weird shit..

I got pulseaudio to at least load (it was failing to load some modules, I commented out the lines, and it works, apparently).

Too bad VLC seems to blow up when launching media. It slows the system right down to a crawl, seems to be reading the hard drive a LOT (even on streamed media), eventually necessitating a hard reboot.

Mplayer either complains that the buffer isn't filling (di.fm techno MP3 stream) or tells me my system is too slow, plays the video in fast forward, and then spams the console with:
Code: [Select]
Too many video packets in the buffer: (4096 in 8350153 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
A: 216.5 V:  79.9 A-V:136.525 ct:  0.003   0/  0  7%  0%  1.2% 2383 0

WTF. Currently recompiling both to see if that fixes it.

EDIT: VLC still blows up and kill the system, but mplayer works with pulseaudio finally.

BIG problem though. brcm80211 causes completely random kernel panics :S HALP
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 01:07:33 PM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: borked HD? try gentoo: HALP KERNEL PANIC D:
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 05:56:21 PM »
Are you using genkernel or a fully customized one?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »
Customized one. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with it for a while because I've got my new hard drive, but I still want to get a fixed, fully functional gentoo system running on my old hard drive sometime.

I'm using the bcm80211 driver, because I have a braodcom 43225 wireless card in here. I have the bcm80211-0.fw and whatever the other firmware file that I needed was. I got those from the debian git tree, but they should be the same as any other one I grab. I just couldn't seem to figure out which version of the openwrt drivers I was supposed to use the firmware cutter on, so when I found the debian download, I grabbed that, and it worked fine for a while before giving me those kernel panics.

The error that was showing up at the top of the screen when the panics were happening had something to do with synchronization, and the stack trace had some functions from bcm80211 and mac80211 in the list, so that's why I think its the wireless.

Also, I somehow completely destroyed all audio on there. I was trying to get pulseaudio to work, and nothing would connect to it, so I eventually unmerged it, set the user flag -pulseaudio and rebuilt stuff, and now even alsa doesn't work right :/

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 03:51:56 PM »
Make sure that you're using the correct firmware version for the drivers that you have installed.  I know that the Intel 2200BG driver needed specific firmware versions for specific driver versions (though that driver didn't smash the system if it didn't get what it wanted).

Another option is to just give ndiswrapper a shot and just use your Windows drivers.  From what I saw at a quick glance, it seems like some people just can't get the bcm80211 driver working no matter what they try.  There is also an official Broadcom driver available (broadcom-sta) that you can unmask and emerge if you like.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 04:44:48 PM »
I've been a bit wary of trying another driver, because with my luck things tend to break pretty terribly when I do stuff like that, lol. I haven't directly heard anything about firmware versions, other than that when you use the firmware cutter you need to chose to use it on different versions of the openwrt drivers depending on your hardware but when I tried using the firmware cutter it just complained that the MD5 was unknown for every version of the driver I tried. But as far as I know, the driver (bcm80211) requires bcm43xx-0.fw and a second file that I can't remember the filename for.

I've also got a rather bad audio problem. I tried getting pulseaudio to work. Nothing would connect to it, and the only program I actually had sound from was Chromiums flash. After unmerging pulseaudio and rebuilding all my software with -pulseaudio in the use flags to make sure nothing was gonna try to use pulseaudio after, now I have no sound at all. I get an error basically amounting to "shit was busy, couldn't use alsa".

I'm already in the audio user group, and all the devices have the proper permissions, I only have 2 users, root and bobbias, and root shouldn't be using any of the audio hardware, because basically everything audio doesn't want you using it as root anyway... I've tried various configurations in the asoundrc file, and even tried pointing mplayer to the device directly (-ao alsa:device=hw=0.x). I know 0.0 is the Analog out for my sound chip (the desired output for speakers/headphones), 0.1 is the digital out, and 1.0 is the HDMI out. I tried everything with no luck there. So it seems that there is something very wrong.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 12:33:43 AM »
Well, it's already kind of broken now, so trying a different driver couldn't make matters any worse. :p

I've never set up PulseAudio from scratch, so I dunno.  I've always just used ALSA directly (though I plan to use that on the Gentoo install that I'm currently working on).

You're doing this on a laptop, right?  Try plugging in headphones just for shits and giggles.

Also, off-topic bragging: It only took 8 minutes, 27 seconds to compile an x86-64 build of glibc on my i7-930. :o

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 12:04:57 AM »
Nice. And yeah, I've tried with headphones, nothing there either :/

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 01:54:40 AM »
How did you set up PulseAudio, exactly?  I just set it up on mine (couldn't really give it a good shot, since it seems to be very dependent on being managed by an X environment's sound system, which I don't have installed just yet) and it seems like there are two ways to do it:

1) Set up the service to run on startup and throw your user into the pulse group.

2) Do not set up the service to run on startup with rc-update and, preferably, pull your user out of the audio group.  Add the service to plugdev and let hal and dbus take care of starting it.

I went with option 2, though I kept my user in audio (I don't think I've quite broken my reliance on /dev/sound, and I like to be able to use ALSA directly from the shell if need-be).

I'd give ALSA a good test to make sure that the basics are configured right.  Kill X and emerge mpg123 like so:

USE="+alsa" emerge mpg123
Now, switch to a directory with MP3s in it and invoke it as follows:

mpg123 -o alsa [i]filename.mp3[/i]
Try it with root first to make sure that your sound card is being picked up and initialized okay, then try it with your user to make sure that you can get sound as an unprivileged user (note: you will need to be in the audio group to use that as an unprivileged user.  If you aren't in that group, do "usermod -a -G audio bobbias" as root).

My sound card (an X-Fi) seemed to initialize at full volume, strangely enough.  This might not be the case for yours, so you might have to emerge alsa-utils and check your levels with alsamixer before you'll be able to hear anything.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:31 AM »
I'll have to get back to you next time I go back to trying to get gentoo working... My card is being picked up, because when I run alsaconfig it picks the name, etc. up fine, and seems to set everything right...

Anyway, I'll revive this topic whenever I get back to trying to fix that.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x