Author Topic: Beginning to translate the script for a game... [UPDATED]  (Read 6341 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Beginning to translate the script for a game... [UPDATED]
« on: September 25, 2007, 05:15:07 AM »
I've decided that to try to learn some more japanese, and to find something to do when I'm bored, and have free time (which is VERY often), I'm going to try to translate the script to the Shakugan no Shana DS game. I'm looking for people to help with any part of it. I'm looking for anyone (kulli?) to help translate, as well as people to proofread the scripts and such to make sure I've got no spelling mistakes and such. Then I'm going to look for people who may be able to hack the game, and insert the translation. I doubt it'll ever get that far, but I'd really like to at least provide people a starting point, because I'm not sure that this game will ever make it to the US.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:04:21 PM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
Re: Beginning to translate the script for a game...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 05:16:34 AM »
Why?

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 06:32:34 AM »
A) I want to learn more japanese, B) I've always wanted to translate a game, C) This game is not likely to ever get translated unless Shakugan no Shana becomes a lot more popular than it is, D) I want to play the game.

Enough reasons?

Also, anyone who could help me locate the script in the game or do any other hacking should help out too.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:35:44 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 12:52:16 AM »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 05:16:01 AM »
because he can

Well, I hope I can anyway, lol. I've made some headway. I know what most of the files are (videos), I know what files the text tiles are in, and I know that most of the files were compressed with LZ77, which I now have decompressed. Now I need to figure out where the script is, extract it, and get it translated and reinserted. (no need to hack the text tiles because the english letters are defined as well)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 11:38:34 AM »
(no need to hack the text tiles because the english letters are defined as well)

That's awful convienient :D

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 11:48:02 AM »
Yes, but that's only one issue, I need to figure out where the script is, and then I need to find out the text table so i can understand the script, then I need to translate it, put the script back in, and any hacking that goes along with it (depending on how long the translated lines are, I may need to do some hacking to get them to fit).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 12:04:06 PM »
UPDATE:

This game must have been designed just to piss rom hackers off. Seriously, who the fuck makes a game that has it's own file system, and instead of taking advantage of the file system, sticks all the information into a couple .bin files with names like "pt.bin" and "sc.bin" and compresses them? Supposedly there's somewhere in the rom that outlines the offset and size of the subfiles within each of those .bins, but I haven't found it yet, because the information that told me that was pretty vague. Until I can locate those subfiles and separate them, I can't do anything more with the game.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
Re: Beginning to translate the script for a game... [UPDATED]
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 07:41:30 PM »
that sucks horsecock :(

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Beginning to translate the script for a game... [UPDATED]
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 12:14:06 AM »
Quite, the progress is stalled until I can find the exact offsets for each subfile. But, once I manage that, I should be able to get some work done locating and dumping the script.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x