Author Topic: I thought about this again last night, thought I'd post it  (Read 6840 times)

MooMan1

• TEXT
    • View Profile
I thought about this again last night, thought I'd post it
« on: August 26, 2011, 01:39:11 AM »
I don't know how many of you are still from arch0wl, it's been all of forever since it went down, but I thought this was interesting.

Right before Arch shut down the forums, I managed to catch him on soulseek (remember soulseek?), and ask him why, Santa Claus, why? I remember him telling me, essentially, that he was shutting down the forums because he felt the userbase wasn't up to his intelligence standards. Now, at the time, I was fifteen, tops, and I said k. Now, though, I wonder if I could have said something. I doubt he would have listened, I was something like a 200 postcount user on the forum and something of a butt, but I'll always wonder if maybe I could have convinced him to keep the forums up.

ANYWAY

EDIT a0 nostalgia thread GO
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:29:43 PM by MooMan1 »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: I thought about this again last night, thought I'd post it
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:47:49 AM »
I think I remember posting some dumb shit. I was really young and rather inexperienced on the internet, but I don't think I was a complete fuckwit.

Really, I never interacted with him much, but Arch0wl seemed like a douche. Like, everything I hear about him makes me think he's a massive douchebag with an ego the size of Mars.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 12:41:52 AM »
Yeah, arch seemed like a huge dick to me. I was young, but I have always tried to be more mature than my age online... I dunno how well I succeeded, but I've always made an attempt anyway.

I have no idea how many posts I made there, but I was pretty unhappy when I found out the site was being shut down. I felt that even though there was some stupid drama, the site was better than the other stepmania related forums. Plus, it was easy to keep up to date with most of the well known simfile creators.

Also, I never used soulseek much but I thought it was pretty awesome.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
Speaking as someone who talked to Arch0wl quite a bit, he didn't seem all that bad to me over the phone.  I suppose that's technically not knowing him personally, but I think it does count for a lot.  There are many things that you can tell about a person from their inflection, I think.

I will agree that some of his old forum posts could be read as caustic.  I really don't think that he came off as a douche the majority of the time, in all honesty, but in many ways I think that negative reputation followed him (i.e. people remembering the bad, not the good).  I doubt he still comes by here so I can't say for sure, but I really doubt he intended to come off as a douche.

For a more personal example of this, just ask Bobbias what he things about my friend Pyroko.  He's one of the coolest dudes I know, but he can come off as troll-ish on discussion boards.  It's one of many examples where you can't judge a person by their online persona.

Hell, I generally have a lack of patience when it comes to online stuff.  On a0.com (and even here, to a lesser degree) I acted like a dick pretty often, far more than I do in real life.  Again, just ask Bobbias. ;)
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 05:31:08 PM »
Lol, god, I don't even remember the a0 days much... My memory is pretty garbage :P

But yeah, I came to spetere.net because after I saw some of your posts (likely they were rants calling people out for dumb drama or something), I liked your posts, and thought that you were one of the smarter people on there, so I figured I'd sign up on your forums too.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 06:15:19 PM »
Well, I do rawk. ^^

I was a bit on the old side when I was there, so that might have helped.  I think I was 19 or 20 when I registered.  It's kind of hard to believe how long ago that was.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »
The days of Arch0wl hold some very good memories. Him and I never got along, but I was much more subject to get defensive at his type of criticism back then.

That was crazy how right before the end I discovered you lived like 20 minutes away from me Spectere. Beaver mall and Camelot! Lol. When your buddy hacked his gamecube on that bigass arcade machine I almost shit myself.

There was a lot more base for competition to be had because of Arch0wl.com. His contest song packs I love still.

Good times.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 02:02:18 AM »
Hey, Zephlar!  Hehe, yeah, it was kind of funny how you just randomly recognized me at the Southern Park Mall that one time.  That's the only time I've had someone randomly recognize me in public like that. :P  It's a shame you're not still around this area.  Let me know if you ever come back to visit, m'kay?

And yeah, very good times.  I miss going out on Pennsylvania road trips.  I should start doing that again soon.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 03:56:10 AM »
Yes.  Yes you should.
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
Indeed!  My car's almost ready for such a venture, too.  It has new rear struts, two new trailing arms, and all new brakes.

The only thing that I need are tires, because mine are horribly worn down (the old struts were in such bad shape that my tires wore unevenly).  After that, my car will be trip-worthy once more.

K-Mann

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »
I believe Arch has done a bit of an about face when it comes to posting and such now. Much more optimistic poster, and actually seems to try to help people out. I've talked with him a bit lately (mostly about SM though) and hes been a helpful guy. Pretty cool in my book anyways.

I have been around since ALMOST the beginning of a0. I lurked for almost the entire time it was up. About the last 2 years the site was in existence is when I started to post and managed about 300 posts when it went down.

Memories/people
Eclipse - Also known as DJ Psyflow. He does music now, apparently into the hardcore/hardstyle techno stuff. I downloaded one of his mix sets from ODI a couple months back; it kind of rocked. EDIT: Found the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M69YAXCE
GamePro - Rebirth now. Pretty into the SM scene, did the Red Fraction thing, and is doing the new Red Fraction thing.

Niga Pat has a t-shirt now http://www.zazzle.ca/niga+pat+gifts FUCKIN MIRTH PROLAN WHO THE FUCK ELSE REMEMBERS THAT NAME

Cool people like mysticsnake and pfx and dtm and all them cool people *nostalgia*

And also a0.com is rly cool

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 07:51:25 PM »
Haha, I remember Mirthy P.  He was quite an interesting chap.

Also: FAEC UR BANE

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »
Mirth, yet another name I'd log forgotten till this thread. I wish I could remember more of what the hell was going on back then, but my memory is fucking horrendous. The biggest thing about a0 for me is that it was the first community I ever felt like I belonged to in any way. I lurked far more than I posted, but I still felt much more part of the community there than anywhere else.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »
I remember way back then...I never had a problem with him, and we got along quite well, although I didn't post too much. I saw his attitude towards other people, but he was never like that with me.

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 07:27:36 PM »
Oh my god, Hayden face. BAHA.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/