Author Topic: KURONEKO'S THREE PRONGED MUSIC PLUG  (Read 44784 times)

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
Re: KURONEKO'S SHITTY MUSIC PLUG
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2008, 01:20:13 AM »
bored and playin wit waveforms.  learned a little about how waves r maed and used knowledge to make:

this

note: the sustain at the end is a little shaky because i had to manually loop the sample, because i was dumb and didn't write down the ending frequencies and couldn't be bothered to recalculate them and generate them and shiz

if you don't recognize it, you don't watch any movies since 1982 at all or have no social life.  the former is a prerequisite of the latter, if that means anything!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 09:59:27 AM by Alice »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2008, 03:32:04 AM »
Cool. Editing audio shit is fun. That's why I'd really like to be a recording engineer.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »
Ha wut, listen to this shit.  Spectere, redownload POOP06 (I extended it, or did I already tell you) and get wilycastle

water level music from a project I'm working on
http://kuroneko.spectere.net/music/POOP01.it

desolate evil mountain music from a project I'm working on
http://kuroneko.spectere.net/music/POOP02.it

what the fuck is this shit
http://kuroneko.spectere.net/music/POOP03.it

sky level music from a project I'm working on
http://kuroneko.spectere.net/music/POOP04.it

mine level music from a project I'm working on
http://kuroneko.spectere.net/music/POOP05.it

fire level music from a project I'm working on
http://kuroneko.spectere.net/music/POOP06.it

midboss music from a project I'm working on, remix of The Decisive Battle
http://kuroneko.spectere.net/music/POOP07.it

MAYBE evil castle music from a project I'm working on, remix of Wily Castle Stage 1 & 2
http://kuroneko.spectere.net/music/wilycastle.it

if you don't recognize the last one I swear I'll do what I did to my NES when the dragon in Mega Man 2 killed me just as I killed it
which was like, throwing the controller, a light slap and a shitstorm of yelling curse words and an unhappy face :(

if you don't have a player specifically for these files like ModPlug Player, just dump them in WinAmp or something

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2008, 05:49:54 PM »
poop6 needs a bit of melody or something, it sounds kinda empty to me.

poop4 sounds too dominated by the same sounds you used for the mine and fire levels.... it needs more "airy" sounds in it.

poop3 is just plain fucked up.

poop2 is kinda cool

poop1 is pretty good too.

And your remixes are definitely cool.

I just think that you need to use more drum sounds and make more variation between the sounds you use in each track, just listen to the different sounds Mario uses in it's different levels to see what I mean.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2008, 08:56:36 PM »
poop6 needs a bit of melody or something, it sounds kinda empty to me.
I think I know how to fix this

poop4 sounds too dominated by the same sounds you used for the mine and fire levels.... it needs more "airy" sounds in it.
Would changing the pulse wave the lead bass instrument uses to a straight square wave fix this, do you think?

poop3 is just plain fucked up.
not helpful

I just think that you need to use more drum sounds and make more variation between the sounds you use in each track, just listen to the different sounds Mario uses in it's different levels to see what I mean.
Which Mario game?

If you mean the first, it didn't really have much variation.  NES sound was kind of used in a limited way back then, before cool sound chips (like the one SMB3 had)
Would you like to more?

edit: I've been using my samples in a similar way to the NES's main four channels (because I don't understand what the fifth is supposed to do, really.  I think it was used in conjunction with sound chips to make samples that didn't suck, like SMB3's drums).  I was going to actually make the Mega Man 2 thing exactly like NES stuff, but I don't particularly like noise, and the triangle wave is too damn quiet (maybe I synthed it rong).

edit: About drums.  I'm going to try and synth some of my own, and maybe create some variety.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:01:15 PM by Rowan »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2008, 01:53:50 AM »
Triangle was a lot quieter normally. The 5th channel was for wav files in a specific format (really REALLY low quality, i forget exact specifics, but usually used for drum samples).

If it's an IT, you've got a lot more room for experimentation, I meant Mario 2 and 3.

poop3 is just weird, i have no input, because I have no idea what it's even meant for.

I know what the NES had, my whole point wwas that there wqasn't enough variation in sound, all the tracks generally used the same sounds. People writing music for the NES took advantage of some of the more advanced parts of writing music on it.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2008, 04:12:39 PM »
POOP09 - Sub-Final Boss Music
This is actually one of the two motifs that recur throughout the game Dusk Lance that I'm making in Mega Zeux.  Three pieces revolve around this motif, but one hasn't been made yet.

I had to reduce the volume a bit to stop distortion in some bits; I can't hear any at the moment, but if you hear some, tell me plox.  May have to get Spectur to fix this shit if it persists <:U

I'm still going to make comics, but the way school is going, looks like maybe only once a week or so.  I've got one about half complete that I started on Monday that I'm going to finish tonight

edit: Spectere, are you still going to design the Lighthouse and Mine levels for this game?  I'd like to know while I'm still peddling away with the Fire Level (nice job making what ended up being the basis for the first half of the level btw :)) and the Water Level.  I can send sum water level screenshots (and second half of the fire level) if u wood liek.  Actually there's a bunch of different stuff from the last couple of screenshots I gave you :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 05:43:59 PM by Rowan »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »
Well, you should normalize all your sounds to the same level when you work with modules and such. That way you don't have a bunch of sounds that all are kinda quiet and then you add one sound that's at the proper level and have boatloads of distortion. All the wav/sample files you have should be normalized.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2008, 01:37:22 AM »
Well, you should normalize all your sounds to the same level when you work with modules and such. That way you don't have a bunch of sounds that all are kinda quiet and then you add one sound that's at the proper level and have boatloads of distortion. All the wav/sample files you have should be normalized.

THX FOR COMENTING ON MY MUSAK DUDE :)

They're all equalized, but the thing is, everything but the drums is chip samples, and they equalize way louder than the drums, and sometimes I've got to adjust the volume and etc

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2008, 01:45:43 AM »
From what I've seen, your biggest vice (i.e. what causes most of the distortion) has always been doubling up on channels to make certain sounds louder.  You have to be really careful when you do that.

It's better to have a quieter sounding IT file than to have any kind of distortion.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2008, 07:28:22 AM »
Well, yeah, adjusting the volume in the program is how you're supposed to do it. And yes, doubling up channels will definitely lead to very quick distortion unless you're very careful about things. That's one thing I love about working in FL studio, I can stick a soft limiter on my master out and don't really have to worry about clipping, because unless I've got something WAY too loud, I'm not gonna get any.

The other thing is that if you want to see if there's actual clipping, run it through something like Adobe Audition. Audition has little red markers at the bottom of the screen that will activate if it's clipping. Sometimes distortion can be because of some bad effects use, and such as well.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »
Sorry, I don't have Adobe GimmefukanbuxforthesamethingAudacitycanbasicallydoOrSoI'mTold Audition :X

but yeah, in this one I only doubled up the tom and snare drums (since they're damn quiet compared to the LOUD FUKAN CHIP SAMPLES) and organ notes in pattern 0.  I'm basically trying to avoid it now for anything BUT the drums since they're that much quieter than a whole bunch of simultaneous chip samples.  Pattern 0 was actually made not too long after the DoZ, which is why it's still got Doubled Up channels (didn't feel like fixing it, much easier to decrease module volume entirely by a small bit).

So, yeah.  Does it still distort?  If I added a god choir (lol Spoony) and doubled the length would it sound like apocalyptic final boss musak?

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2008, 04:00:32 PM »
(Re)listen.  I extended the first section to make it sound slightly less akward.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »
Uhh, Audition is pretty easy to find a PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE copy of, and it seriously beats the crap out of every other audio manipulation program I've used.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »
You can't run ITs through Audition without rendering them as WAVs (which takes a lot of extra time).  Also, modules are inherently difficult to balance because of the differences in mixing between different programs.  DOS IT sounds slightly different than ModPlug which sounds slightly different from mikmod.  The player settings themselves can also affect the audio (if you turn the mixing volume -- which is saved in IT files -- down enough in DOS IT, for instance, you can make things that sound good in it but horrid in other IT players that don't respect that setting).  Nothing short of being careful and keeping the mixer volume at a reasonable setting will make it sound good.

Modules, especially ITs, can be particularly tricky to deal with for that reason alone.  No amount of peeking at the rendered file in Audition is going to help that.
"This is a machine for making cows."