Author Topic: Sunday Site Updates!  (Read 5137 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Sunday Site Updates!
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
I did a bunch of maintenance today!

First of all, I updated to SMF 2.0.1.  Prior to day, we were running a release candidate.  Whoops.

Second, I updated and reenabled httpBL to (hopefully!) cut back on the number of spam accounts that get created.  I'm not sure how it got disabled, but it did.  I'm guessing that it got knocked out when I did an SMF update and I just never noticed.  Whoops.

Third, I installed Stop Forum Spam to help httpBL out a bit.  Heres to me not having to work so "hard!"

Fourth, I enabled post count on the introductions forum to make it easier for me to tell who literally never posted and people who only made an introductary post and proceeded to naff off forever.  You guys have never abused that forum, so I don't see any isue with making that change.  I did the same thing to the Demilitarized Zone for the same reason.

Fifth, I downloaded a mod that added a maintenance item to recalculate the post count for all users, then went ahead and ran that.  Your post counts are probably a wee bit higher now!

Sixth, I did a bit of general maintenance.  Database optimization, recounting all thread/post counts, etc.  Boring stuff.

Lastly, I deleted a massive amount of spam accounts, so we're back to having 77 members. :P

I feel so accomplished!
"This is a machine for making cows."

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday Site Updates!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Eighths, you are now impregnated with Newfs babies. Congrats. I hope they're all boys....All 734 of them.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:06 PM »
WUT

*asplode*

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 10:16:30 PM »
That explains why the update took so long...

I came back the next morning expecting it to be over, and was greeted by the "maintenance mode" again and was like "wat?"
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 05:36:50 PM »
The maintenance didn't actually take too long.  The problem was that the updater neglected to switch the site out of maintenance mode.  For whatever reason, the helpful reminder that used to be present on the administrator control panel and the front page of the site wasn't there.  Yeah, nice.

But hey, we're back now.  So yay!

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 02:45:14 AM »
(whew, he hasn't realized I'm a spambot yet)