Author Topic: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.  (Read 646897 times)

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
Re: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.
« Reply #1665 on: August 22, 2010, 12:38:44 AM »
I won't try the former either because it's a they are festering piles of shit
Fixed lol

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1666 on: August 22, 2010, 02:49:38 AM »
I wouldn't go so far as to call Firefox a festering piece of shit.  I mean, really, aside from it falling horribly far behind in the browser race it's still a damn good browser.  It takes far, far less memory than Chrome, for one, Opera's rendering engine simply isn't up to par with anything else simply because it can't handle anything but the standards (which, in today's web, is not acceptable), Internet Explorer 8 and below tend to be sluggish, and Safari is horrendously slow and unstable as of its most recent version.  It's a good middle ground, plus it has very rich extensions support, something that no other browser offers.  Yeah, they offer extension support, but Mozilla's extension support is so rich that you can literally implement anything in it (dangerous in the wrong hands, but potentially extremely powerful).  I have a lot of respect for the Mozilla team in general because of their tremendous accomplishments in the browser market (they got half of the web population to switch from Internet Explorer with a terrific marketing campaign, including people who barely know how to use a mouse...that's damn good) and really wish that they'd catch the hell up.

OpenOffice, on the other hand, has earned my ire on numerous counts because, literally, the entire product is broken.  Its interface resembles the clunky Office 97 interface, its Office "compatibility" is anything, and its cross-platform support is worse than Microsoft Office (seriously, I'd rather do the extra work to get Office working in WINE than to use that clunky free POS).

And it's not that I'm looking for faults, either.  Personally, I find KOffice to be a very easy-to-use and capable office package.  It doesn't try to gain popularity by making overly bold claims and, best of all, it doesn't try to emulate the interface for an obsolete piece of software.  It's probably one of the finer pieces of KDE software out there.

...too bad my X environment of choice uses GTK as its toolkit.  I don't want to pull in kdelibs if I don't have to. *sigh*
"This is a machine for making cows."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1667 on: August 22, 2010, 01:54:29 PM »
My point exactly.

Opera's quirks mode is quite bad compared to other browsers.  Like I said, it handles standards quite well but tends to bug out if pages aren't standards compliant, to the point of the rendering engine making illogical decisions.  I've tried using Opera numerous times but wound up switching back to something else because of that.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1668 on: August 22, 2010, 03:51:28 PM »
What point?  You said it can't handle anything but the standards, and I said I've only ever seen one rendering error with it, period.  That's less than I've seen with everything besides Internet Exploiter, which seems to actively encourage bad HTML and will render just about anything properly.

edit: the rendering error in question is the drop down menu beside the search bar on DMZX, if you're curious.  It's supposed to be inline-block but gets pushed down to the next line for some reason.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:54:56 PM by Alice »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1669 on: August 22, 2010, 04:34:35 PM »
My point was that Opera's ability to handle diversions to the standard is simply not as good as any other browser, and you gave me a very specific example of one of a somewhat broken system that has a quirk that causes Opera to fail to render properly.  One nice thing that Opera has going for it, and the main reason why it's so successful for many sites, is their browser.js implementation.  Basically, it patches known bad web pages on-the-fly.  However, this does nothing for web pages that fly under their radar, and that is where the problem lies.

And drop the defensiveness.  Seriously.  I'm not bad-mouthing Opera.  I'm merely stating what I've observed as a (reluctant) semi-professional web designer.  Opera sticking to the standards is great if you're doing development because it keeps you on the straight and narrow, but it was never known for its forgiveness and, thus, isn't as good of a browser for pages that might break the rules.  Sure, the aforementioned pages should have followed the standards, but there's nothing that a general user can do about that other than try to adapt.

Since you decided to brought up Internet Explorer, IE8 is far less forgiving than the previous versions were.  For it to tolerate the quirky HTML that IE6/7 supported it must be set to compatibility mode.  If it's in IE8 rendering mode, half of the flawed HTML that worked with IE6/7 simply won't display.  Let's just say, when IE8 first came out, even IE-specific sites would not work with it.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: August 24, 2010, 02:54:26 AM »
OMG OMG OMG OMG SPECTERE ITS UP AND RUNNING!

FYI:  I was the one who bought the stuff from Spectere guys.

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: August 25, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
When someone passes me on the freeway without a turn signal, I briefly make eye contact and mime a turn signal, and they signal when they switch lanes again. Makes me feel a little better about drivers at large.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:10:51 PM by 『フエハデ』 »

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: August 25, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »
high (lol) possibility of a hippie flip at an upcoming event. yay!
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

vladgd

« Reply #1673 on: September 07, 2010, 04:22:34 AM »
ffxvi beta problem solved, i can start playing the game now.

solution was simple.

download new drivers.  

get driver sweeper, have it nuke your current drivers.

reboot

install new drivers

reboot

boot up ffxvi beta

IT GODDAMN WORKS

ill save the screenshot for when i get playing more tomorrow in the whatchaplayin thread.  

seriously though, i jumped through a lot of hoops to get this faggot working. 

backing up all of my important shit (with just usb2.0, this takes too long, wtb external sata hdd)
upgrading to service pack 2 just to have the installer install
downloading the 7 700 mb patch files from external sources because the standard p2p downloader doesn't fucking work
using an external torrent program each time a new patch is released, and placing those files in the proper folders
spending 3 days finding a solution to this graphic glitch problem listed in the anger thread solved in the text above

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:26:54 AM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1674 on: September 13, 2010, 03:26:21 AM »
My iPod Touch shipped.

* Spectere does a happy dance.

Now I can still be an app addict after I leave my current job (and my iPhone 3G).  Not to mention that I can ensure that the auxiliary input for my car sees plenty of use.

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #1675 on: September 14, 2010, 01:47:59 AM »
What do you plan on having as a telephone communication device once that happens?
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #1676 on: September 14, 2010, 02:11:32 AM »
Two tin cans and some string.
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1677 on: September 14, 2010, 09:05:38 AM »
What do you plan on having as a telephone communication device once that happens?

I actually have two smartphones right now, one being my work one and the other being my trusty HTC Dream/T-Mobile G1.

And, if that fails...

Two tin cans and some string.

This.

Edit: Yay, my iPod touch made it into the States!  Granted, it's in Alaska -- which might as well be a Canadian province -- but at least it's not in China now.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 05:35:03 PM by Spectere »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1678 on: September 14, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Granted, it's in Alaska -- which might as well be a Canadian province -- but at least it's not in China now.

Hey, you guys were the ones who bought it from russia. All things considered alaska is a barren wasteland, even by canadian standards.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1679 on: September 14, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »
Hey, you guys were the ones who bought it from russia. All things considered alaska is a barren wasteland, even by canadian standards.

I wasn't around at the time so it's not my fault. ;P