Author Topic: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.  (Read 647295 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.
« Reply #870 on: August 29, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »
But yeah, I didn't really realize that it was that different. I can understand that though, actually. They are using the 128 bit processor because it's capable of handling larger chunks of data at once, making it more efficient for streaming. If you can handle a 128 bit chunk of data just as quickly as a 32 bit computer can handle 32 bits, you can have a lot faster throughput when it comes to data manipulation using the same number of cycles.

Indeedy.  The entire system is literally built from the ground up for this.  Its total bandwidth is ridiculous.

If the DVD drive weren't so damn slow it would have a lot more potential, methinks.

Oh, also, I drastically understated the PS2's memory.  I got it confused with the PSone for some reason. :x  The amount of system memory matches that of the phat PSP.

Any idea on how the graphics display mechanism works in the PS2? Because I know that dealing with graphics in the SNES is a nightmare. (other than music, it's probably one of the most agonizing things for a new programmer to grasp. SNES music is still in HEAVY development and very early stages when it comes to homebrew sound systems.)

I'm not really too clear on how this all fits together, really, or how you deal with graphics.

I'm pretty sure most of the graphical work is tasked to the two vector processors that the PS2 has (VU1 and VU2).  They can push out polys at an absurd rate for the age of the system (in practical terms, we're talking up to around 650,000 polygons at 30fps and 325,000 at 60fps...quite a bit more than the GeForce 2's T&L processor could do).  From what I understand, the Graphics Synthesizer was capable of rendering all of that as well.  Basically, if you can harness the power of the two VUs (both 128-bit SIMD processors) I'd imagine you'd be able to do rendering on it.  Not sure if you can go without knowing how to use them or not.

IIRC, the main weakness of the PS2 is that many of the effects that come standard with a GeForce chip have to be done in software on the PS2.  This is why the Xbox and GameCube, despite technically being "slower" systems, easily won the graphics race.  Having pixel shaders on the video chipset helps more than having a powerful main processor and extremely large amount of bandwidth in this case, plus the two systems were easier to program for.  Developers were able to take the PC paradigm straight to those platforms (especially with the DirectXbox, as it was once known for obvious reasons).
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #871 on: August 29, 2008, 07:08:24 PM »
Ahh, well, I suppose it's probably somewhere around how difficult programming for the SNES is. (Have you ever tried that? It's pretty damn hard, especially considering the limitations of the processor speed and such.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #872 on: August 29, 2008, 07:38:08 PM »
Made me and my girlfriend a delicious omelet, with onions, red peppers, broccoli, ham and potatoes... and sausage on the side. mmmm. oh yeah and lots of cheese.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:16 PM »
Made me and my girlfriend a delicious omelet, with onions, red peppers, broccoli, ham and potatoes... and sausage on the side. mmmm. oh yeah and lots of cheese.

Links or patties?

I prefer link sausage (no not penis you sick fucks)...only because of the taste.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: August 30, 2008, 02:23:20 AM »
This pickup line: If I were to ask you for sex, would your answer be the same as the answer to this question?

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 30, 2008, 02:48:28 AM »
This pickup line: If I were to ask you for sex, would your answer be the same as the answer to this question?

That's awesome. Also my Trigun replacement skin for the degal in CSS started working for no reason.

Shoop Da Whoop

• errday im huslin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 31, 2008, 01:39:31 AM »
My dad just went and bought me a MacBook, I had no idea that he was going to get me one. Holy shit, like this thing is so cool. I also got a free Ipod touch for being a college student as well as a 100$ discount on the mac book.  /stoked

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 31, 2008, 02:07:05 AM »
Discounted stuff=awesome

Free stuff=HELLS FUCKING YEAH!

Have fun with your new MacBook.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #878 on: August 31, 2008, 11:57:21 AM »
Seeing these two things fried my potatoes.

Pardon the lousy quality.  I didn't feel like digging out my camera at the time, so I used the camera on my cellphone.  :3
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

vladgd

« Reply #879 on: September 01, 2008, 01:09:32 AM »
the star wars game i played today

me throwing thermal detonator...at 6 or so droids, in front of two giant boats, both filled with 100 people, fueling up....and huge fuel tanks in front of said boats...

chuck, run the fuck away, blast doors BARELY close....the town above suffered good damage...yeah...

nice way to trivialize a hard encounter.  the bothan informant shouldn't have given me that thermal detonator, because i sure as hell used it.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 01, 2008, 03:37:07 PM »
I'm starting to really enjoy biking.

Also, I don't know if I already posted this, but the university's internet connection gets me like 2MB/s download speeds from mirrors.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:52:01 PM by annon »

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 01, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »
Biking is fun...I need to get one before next spring (lots of hills so awesome stamina builder).

2MB/s for download...beats my shitty average of 700kb/s.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #882 on: September 01, 2008, 06:32:32 PM »
I fucking hate you. I get 310 if I'm lucky and the site isn't either limiting me to 150 (because some sites do that) and I'm not using uTorrent.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 01, 2008, 07:05:08 PM »
At least you can torrent. If we get caught using any P2P, they cut off our internet connection then we have to pay $40 to get our computers scanned and get our internet back up. Since I've been getting a lot of linux distros lately, it's annoying for the ones that don't mirror their DVD isos and I end up having to get the multi-part CD isos.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:07:34 PM by annon »

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #884 on: September 01, 2008, 07:32:26 PM »
That is retarded.

I'd actually try to make a point to someone who can deal with that, because P2P like limewire and all that is one thing, but more and more torrents are being used to distribute free/open source software.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x