Author Topic: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.  (Read 628991 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.
« Reply #2070 on: May 03, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
Snagged a set of Shure SE425s, since I wanted a set of IEMs for home use. It's actually kind of shocking how much of an improvement they are over the SE215s that I use at work.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2071 on: June 12, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
I now own a Sony PVM-14M2U, a 4-port SCART switch, and a Nintendo multi-AV to Euro SCART adapter. As soon as my Euro SCART to RGBS BNC adapter arrives, shit's gonna look reaaaaaaal nice. After I get that rig hooked up (and play through Super Metroid again because holy shit that game is gonna look amazing) I'm going to rig up a few more of my consoles to output RGB (or buy the necessary adapters for ones like the Genesis Model 2, which already do).

I really hope I can get RGB output on my N64. Apparently only certain models can do it.

If you guys have never seen a retro console hooked up to a professional-grade CRT via RGB, you're really missing out. It's gorgeous.

A2P

• View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: June 12, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
I went from an awkward teenager in hs to a socially skilled mastermind that scares the fuck out of all my adversaries, thanks guys
Nice to see another memorable name though.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2073 on: June 12, 2017, 08:01:39 PM »
I now own a Sony PVM-14M2U, a 4-port SCART switch, and a Nintendo multi-AV to Euro SCART adapter. As soon as my Euro SCART to RGBS BNC adapter arrives, shit's gonna look reaaaaaaal nice. After I get that rig hooked up (and play through Super Metroid again because holy shit that game is gonna look amazing) I'm going to rig up a few more of my consoles to output RGB (or buy the necessary adapters for ones like the Genesis Model 2, which already do).

I really hope I can get RGB output on my N64. Apparently only certain models can do it.

If you guys have never seen a retro console hooked up to a professional-grade CRT via RGB, you're really missing out. It's gorgeous.

Fucking want. I've got a SNES and a generic CRT, but no SCART/RGB shit. I've heard shit's gorgeous though.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2074 on: June 16, 2017, 12:53:53 AM »
This really doesn't do it justice, but here you go anyway:

(click to enlarge, like, if you want to and stuff)

Daaaaaamn, does it look sharp. I don't even have the 1CHIP SNES, either--mine is the SHVC-CPU-01 (not as good as a 1CHIP, not as fuzzy as an SNS-CPU-GPM-02. If I can manage to find a 1CHIP at a reasonable price I'll definitely snatch it up, but the people who actually know what they are demand a pretty penny for them. SNES Mini would probably be my best option for RGB--those are going for about half the price as a standard 1CHIP SNES.

I also found out that my N64 as an NS1* serial number, so a fairly basic RGB mod will work nicely for that. PSone/PS2 only needs a cable, so that should also be happening shortly. Miiiiiiiight look into modding my NES as well. We'll see.

Also, didn't mention it in my previous post, but I also got one o' deez:

It's purple!

I found out that the company that puts together the SD2SNES Deluxe and Custom units is literally 30 minutes from my house. I might stop in and see what they have.

Also, as it turns out, I can still do the mockball trick in Super Metroid. Lovin' them early Super Missiles:

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2075 on: June 17, 2017, 09:10:44 PM »
Fuckin A man. I've got a SD2SNES myself:
Click for Huge image

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2076 on: June 18, 2017, 04:48:55 AM »
Oh wow, I love that label. :o

I absolutely love that thing so far. Not only can I grab training carts and be able to get some good Super Metroid practice in, but I can also fill out my collection...because fuck paying $100+ for Chrono Trigger (especially since precisely $0 is actually going to the developers).

I do need to get around to socketing the battery backed cartridges that I have (since I 855905410599047168[/tweet]]have a fair amount of experience doing that thanks to socketing my friends' carts). I know for a fact that my Super Metroid cart has a dead battery at the very least. :<

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2077 on: June 18, 2017, 07:02:16 AM »
Yeah, only game I've paid for so far since I got the cart is SMRPG, which I paid $90 for, because it's not compatible (thanks SA1) and it's basically a must for a SNES game collection.

And yeah, that label is fucking awesome. I actually forget the site I got it off, but they also let you chose the color of the cart (although the cart was extra, and anything other than grey was more on top of that, but I wanted something that looked cool too). I looked around after and noticed most of the labels weren't as cool as the one I got, so I was pretty happy about that.

Oh, I do also have a copy of The Incredible Crash Test Dummies, which is apparently one of the few games I didn't sell years ago for some reason.

Also, that's a lot of sockets lol.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2078 on: June 18, 2017, 04:37:06 PM »
Yep, I'm lucky enough to have most of the SA-1/SuperFX carts that I want. The only ones that I don't have that I wouldn't mind collecting are the Kirby games. Aside from that, I have SMW2, SMRPG, and Star Fox, so I'm sorted. I also wouldn't mind having a copy of Doom, for the novelty factor more than anything else, and that one seems like it's relatively cheap.

Yeah, I think the company that actually makes the SD2SNES boards just sells the PCBs. I seem to remember seeing one site where you could literally just buy the PCB and put it in a cart yourself.

Oh jeez, I haven't played The Incredible Crash Test Dummies, but the plot synopsis made me chuckle. I might have to give that one a shot. :P

Yep, I resocketed something like 22 carts. Most of them were easy, but I had a really tough time desoldering the battery on some of them (FF4 was particularly bad). Still, all's well that ends well!

I am going to have to check where my friend snagged his sockets and CR2032 cells. He managed to buy them in bulk, which probably saved him quite a bit (you can see the tray of batteries in the photo and there's a belt-like roll of sockets somewhere else on the table).

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: June 18, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »
Do you guys have a preferred console you acquire games for? I grew up with nes and snes, but I feel the most nostalgia for ps1/n64 mostly because I was a bit older back then and it was during the time when I had multiple videogame magazine subscriptions.

There are probably less than 5 n64 games I want that I don't have, and I cant have enough of dat ps1 (faves console by far).

Would love a copy of Suikoden II, but even loose discs fetch for over $130 over here...

...Definitely going to emulate that one because of that.

(random note please recommend me a good soldering iron, id like to step my solder game up as there are a few projects I need it for)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:23:43 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2080 on: June 19, 2017, 01:13:00 AM »
In terms of the style of classic games that I play, I find myself gravitating toward the SNES. I love the RPGs from that era, and some of the Nintendo side-scrollers from around that time period are nothing short of stellar (Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time). I have a pretty harsh filter when it comes to older titles, since they tend to be chock full of bullshit mechanics. I'm very elective when it comes to NES titles, for instance.

I don't actually have much childhood nostalgia for consoles, so I tend to chase specific games more than systems. I've been a PC gamer pretty much since the beginning, so you could say that I'm a child of Apogee, id Software, and Epic (Mega)Games more than anything else. Generally, if I do have nostalgia for older titles, it's because I played them at a friends' house (which is one of the reasons I'm particularly fond of the NES port of Snow Bros and a lot of N64 titles).

The PS1/N64 era, specifically, is a bit of a weird one. I find myself gravitating more toward the N64 for the more action-orientated games just because the level of jank on the PS1 is off the scale in a lot of cases. I think Nintendo putting an analog stick on that sucker right from launch made a bigger difference than some people think it did. I can still have a hell of a good time with SM64. I doubt many people can go back to some of the pre-DualShock mascot platformers on the PS1 and not feel like something's missing.

That said, PS1 is unbeatable when it comes to RPGs. It's on the same level as the SNES for that genre as far as I'm concerned. And when it comes to 2D platformers...well, it hardly needs stated that SotN is a fucking masterpiece (real shame about the load times, though). And, naturally, one of the reasons that I've been fiddling around with PS1 systems a lot lately is because I want to play some of the Bemani titles from that era. I'm a sucker for classic 5-key Beatmania. And since you can now use an Arduino Uno as a modchip that makes me even more interested.

As far as soldering stuff goes, strap yourself in and prepare for a ton of links.

If you need pretty much everything, Adafruit has a nice kit for $100 that includes an iron, a number of tools, a multimeter, an iron stand, and more. Pretty good value for the money.

If you're just looking for an iron, here's the one I've been using: https://www.adafruit.com/product/180. Seems to work very nicely!

I'd also recommend a decent soldering iron stand. Those little flimsy things that some irons come with royally suck, and using them is a great way of burning yourself or your table. Here's one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/150

I use a brass sponge to clean my tip while I'm working. The specific one that I have is very open and has caused me to get pelted by molten solder. I'd recommend something like this to prevent crap from getting flung everywhere: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1172

Here's some solder: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1886. Not much else to say about that.

I also have an adjustable magnifying glass and PCB holder: https://www.adafruit.com/product/291. The magnifying glass is really useful. If you want something that grips the board a bit better, here's a good looking vice (haven't used this one personally): https://www.adafruit.com/product/151

For desoldering, I'd recommend both wick and a solder sucker. Here's the wick that I use: https://www.adafruit.com/product/149 (you may want to order a few of those if you have a lot of work to do--5 feet doesn't seem to go very far if you're doing a lot of component replacements). I have the $5 solder sucker that Adafruit uses and it's a piece of shit, so I'm thinking of getting something better. I have my eye on this one ($17.50), though I'm not sure how good it is: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1597.

As far as tools go, I'd recommend a pair of diagonal cutters, wire strippers (if you're working with solid core or stranded wires--if you're just swapping components I wouldn't worry about it).

If you're missing more than a few of these things, just do yourself a favor and get the kit. :)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2081 on: June 19, 2017, 04:54:59 AM »
Oh jeez, I haven't played The Incredible Crash Test Dummies, but the plot synopsis made me chuckle. I might have to give that one a shot. :P

Be warned, it's NOT a good game lol. It was part of awful games done quick 2013.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2082 on: June 19, 2017, 11:55:47 AM »
Well, if we're being honest, most licensed games are a truckload of suck. :P

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: June 24, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »
I may have to nab that iron, ive been looking for a paddle tip soldering iron but all the ones ive seen have been pencil tipped. In the small amount of times I've tried to solder, I just can't get enough heat contact with a pencil tipped iron. Could have saved $200.00 on a monitor if I didn't fuck up changing the capacitor because of that. LESSON LEARNED! I should have practiced more on old pcb's I don't need anyway.

Another lesson for you chaps, don't buy samsung monitors, shit capacitors die after a year. I swear off that company now, no samsung monitors or phones in my house.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2084 on: June 25, 2017, 03:43:16 AM »
This video might help with the soldering stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtJ5gngTm-A. He gives plenty of very helpful tips and also links to an eBay search where you can buy practice kits to help you git gud. I've been thinking of picking up a few myself because my technique is a bit...well, it works, but I think it could be better. I'd much rather screw up something that I only paid a couple of dollars for.

Sucks to hear about the monitor. I have a Samsung display from around 2009 or so that's still kicking, but I have a feeling that might be when they actually gave a shit (or I got lucky...who knows). It's the last 16:10 display that I have, so I hope it hangs on for a while longer.

As far as their phones and tablets go, they can die in a fire. I decided to try a Samsung tablet (Galaxy Tab S 8.4) because they seem to have a decent reputation in the Android ecosystem and...god. Fuck that pile of junk. Not only did it cost more than a fucking iPad, but it was slow as molasses from day 1. Even simply rendering the home screen brought that piece of shit to its knees. Browsing the web on an old iPad 2 is a better experience than trying to use that thing. It would also overheat fairly quickly because Samsung has a fetish for putting quad-core processors in their tablets (in this case, it had a Exynos octa-core--a big.LITTLE design where one set of four cores could be active at once). Yeaaaah, there's a reason that most sane companies use dual- and tri-core processors in their phones and tablets. Not only can you attain higher clock speeds for each individual core, but it can maintain those speeds for a longer stretch of time.

I figured it was just the software, since that tablet, on a fresh boot, actually consumed as memory than a full desktop installation of Windows 10 (no, I'm not shitting you--both used something like 1.6-1.7GB, and I think it's safe to say that you can get way more accomplished with the Windows 10 installation). But, no. I flashed it with Cyanogen (basically as close as it would ever come to running stock Android) and it was only marginally better.

The best part are the Samsung fanboys. Some of them seriously think that Apple went out of their way to sabotage the Note 7 battery when they started exploding. I wish I were kidding. Then again, the simple story of Samsung failing to rewrite the laws of physics and thermodynamics isn't absolutely batshit insane, so I can see why they might reject that explanation.

Aaaand, this is dangerously getting close to ANGER thread territory, so I'm going to stop here.