Author Topic: Laptop frustrations....  (Read 3463 times)

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
Laptop frustrations....
« on: February 05, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »
Hi guys, this place looks like a ghost town : [

My laptop recently took a fall from my bed (about 2.5 feet) onto the carpet and the battery has not been able to charge since. My first inclination was that the dc connector got broken, as this is a very common problem. So, I ordered the replacement part and installed it. Turns out, it still won't charge. I pulled out the battery and it turns out it runs fine on AC power. If I plug the battery back in, windows stops acknowledging the AC connection and uses the battery. So, my laptop now functions one of either two ways-- uncharging on battery, or on AC with the battery unplugged.

I called HP and they told me that it could be a broken voltage converter on the motherboard (wtf?) or a windows problem. The tech suggested reinstalling windows first to see if it wasn't hardware. Sigh. Actually, now that I think about this I'm just going to try a ubuntu live cd. I'll post back later when I've tested this. >.>     <.<    >.>

edit:

So it turns out ubuntu recognizes that both are attached, but suffers from the same problem. I doubt that the battery is bad, since the computer is barely over a year old and I've put less than 30 charge cycles on it.

Iaaaaaaannnnnnnnn
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:27:35 AM by Zakamiro »

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Laptop frustrations....
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »
Cant say I can help :/

That sucks ass though.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x