Author Topic: 99 intel chipset/first 8 core and DDR4  (Read 5310 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
99 intel chipset/first 8 core and DDR4
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »
MAN this stuff is expensive, is this how it always goes when stuff comes out??
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: 99 intel chipset/first 8 core and DDR4
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:10:45 AM »
Yep, pretty much!

The hex-core CPU is actually cheaper than I was expecting. I don't think it was actually much more than I paid for my i7-3770. The ASUS mobo I was looking at didn't cost much more than mine, either.

But dat RAM price. Mother of god.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
Is it really that worth it though when you can OC current DDR3 to similar if not faster speeds than the base 2133 of DDR4? I haven't read much about it.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »
You can't really factor overclocking into the equation because every piece of hardware has its own tolerances and because you'll be able to just as readily overclock the lower-spec DDR4 RAM. Sure, I could overclock a Nehalem (first-gen) Core i7 to beat a Haswell (fourth-gen) part that runs at the same stock clock, but if I turn around and OC the Haswell it's going to go right back to destroying the Nehalem again.

That said, it is true that the current upper-end DDR4 modules are close enough to the high-end DDR3 parts that you could feasibly push the latter to match the stock speeds of the DDR4 part with a 5% overclock. However, one of the main tangible benefits that DDR4 is bringing to the table right now is a much, much higher performance ceiling. At this point there isn't a compelling reason to get it outside of being an early adopter, but when they push DDR4 to 3GHz and beyond it's going to be much harder--and eventually impossible--for DDR3 to catch up. The prices are going to simultaneously come down as well, making it affordable for the masses. The same thing happens every time a new revision of the DDR standard comes out, really.

I am very glad that I upgraded my CPU and motherboard when I did, though (I think it was around June 2012). By the time DDR4 becomes viable I'll be due for an upgrade.

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 06:08:02 PM »
Good points!

I have a  FX-4170 currently and feel it preforms excellently, don't feel the need to upgrade it until maybe next year. I have 24 GB of RAM, not sure if upgrading this to a higher quality or speed would make a difference, but I use some G.Skill @ 1600. Still on the GTX 550ti, which is my only hold up really. I have great OC settings that can run FC4 at a combo of medium/high settings, but I'd like it to kill that game naturally. Will most likely be my next purchase for this tower.

Power supply I'd like to get a modular one, but that's more cosmetic than anything. Using a windowed case makes me wish I did cable management better.

Also would like to get an SSD. Will probably do this before or after the vidya card.

The good thing about new shit coming out is that the prices of current gear goes down a bit! We'll see where everything lands mid 2015 after the holidays have settled and stuff has had time to breathe.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 01:36:57 AM »
I honestly wouldn't worry about the CPU all that much. It's going to be a while before you run into any CPU contention with your FX-4170. Most of the heavy lifting gets done by the GPU nowadays. I know people who have Core 2 Quad systems that can run Battlefield 4 acceptably just because they have a decent video card. When it comes to gaming I try to cycle out my CPU every 3-5 years and my video card every 2 years (though with my current setup the latter might get bumped to 3 years...we'll see). I doubt I'll consider upgrading my i7-3770 until mid-2016 unless I get a really kickass deal on a Skylake (the planned successor to Haswell) CPU after they come out this coming year.

I used to use a modular power supply until I realized that I was actually using most of the cables. :x Thankfully, I've scaled back a bit since then, so I could probably make good use of one of them now (I went from 1 SSD and 6 HDDs to 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs this year), so maybe when I get my next PSU. I don't have a side-window, so I'm not too worried about aesthetics, and I'm able to route the cables in my case so that they don't interfere with airflow.

Speaking of cabling, the case can make a pretty big difference. I'm not sure which one you're using, but I'm using a CM Storm Trooper and it has some pretty nice cable management options, including the ability to run cables behind the motherboard tray (giving you a reason to pop off the right case cover) and several points to feed in zip ties.

And yes, you need an SSD, preferably paired with a UEFI-compatible motherboard and a version of Windows that supports EFI boot (Windows 8/8.1 support it and Windows 10 will as well). UEFI is essentially a rewrite of the classic, older-than-Spectere BIOS system, and can drastically reduce boot times. Coupled with an SSD, you can end up seeing boot times that are ludicrously fast. My laptop (ASUS ROG G750 with a Corsair MX100 SSD) cold boots in literally a few seconds.

As far as prices go, I'd say that DDR4 is going to start becoming affordable to normal enthusiasts (rather than cutting edge enthusiasts) by mid-2015. We'll also be seeing a lot of lower-end parts springing up due to product binning (i.e. Intel or AMD fabricates a chip that can't run at its intended clock speed, so they sell it as a lower-end model), so that's going to push prices on the core components down a bit. Speaking of binning, NVIDIA should also have the 900 series more or less filled out by that point (and AMD will be doing the same, I'm sure), so we're going to start seeing a lot more replacements for lower- to mid-range current-generation GPUs as well. 2015 is shaping up to be a very fun year to be a hardware enthusiast! ;D

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »
I have a budget case by Apevia which I understand now is more of a cable management thing than the PSU or amount of cables.  It would be silly to change the case though, maybe I will head back in there and reroute cables. Most of the extras are just stuck in the multiple empty bays in the front of the case.  I idle at 40c, high load/OC vidya @ 52c when playing FC4. So I guess that's not too bad either way.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »
Nah, that's not bad at all. The 550ti is a pretty cool running card, relatively speaking, especially if that's one of the dual-slot models (which is definitely great for OCing!). It's generally safe to run GPUs at about 80C for extended periods of time; I think most people consider a consistent 90C to be approaching the danger zone. 40C is basically nothing.

When you do upgrade, try to find the EVGA cards with the large, dual-fan ACX coolers. I'm really impressed at how well they deal with heat compared to the bog standard cooler that my 680 had. I'm sure there are probably GPUs that have better coolers on them, but I doubt there are any that are at the same price point.

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »
Oh I was referring to the temp on my mobo, CPU temp... however for my vidya I don't ever recall going over 70. I do use MSI Afterburner so I look at the usage graphs on my second monitor as I play.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »
Ah, gotcha. Regardless, 70C is quite good for an overclocked GPU.

I've been considering pepping up my CPU clocks a bit. My GPUs are running a bit over stock (they're both factory OC'd) but I might try to squeeze a bit more out of them. It seems like I'm averaging around 72-74C under load. Not sure that I want to chance it this early on, though, especially considering what they're already capable of. :x I tend to be a bit paranoid about things like that.