Author Topic: Building a PC  (Read 10768 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Building a PC
« on: October 02, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
I have no clue where to start tho. I would want something with a decent amount of memory and could play newer computer games without much trouble, any recommendations?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Building a PC
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 04:54:14 PM »
Find a good mobo? You kinda need a good mobo as a starting place for a computer.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 08:47:31 PM »
Mobo you say? Whats this?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 05:27:34 AM »
Motherboard. I'll admit that unless you've heard someone connect to to, it takes a while to make the connection (I had to do it myself, lol, took a lot longer than I'd oped it would to realize that.)

Basically, you need to start with a mobo, unless you're going to build your computer around one part that you absolutely want/need to be in there.You need to know what your computer has space for in terms of whether you have SLI or not, what processor socket it has, though this is one of the things where you kinda need to make a compromise sometimes, depending on what processor you are looking for, and what slot it needs.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 08:17:22 PM »
I actually started out picking a graphics card and processor, and finding a motherboard that would be compatible with the parts I'd picked out, so I guess you can do it either way. The actual process of building was surprisingly easy, it was almost hitchless, and the only problem was a defect with one of my parts, but not a serious one. It's basically stick things where they go, hook up computer to power supply, win.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 12:18:53 AM »
Well, you can do that, but you have to realize that in some cases, but it depends on what you're priority is in your computer. You need to work on some key decisions like whether you want SLI or not, whether you're going SATA or still working with IDE and what socket CPU you're going for, from then, you can work within those categories to find what you're looking for. Sometimes it's hard to find the exact mobo if you select everything else than look for one.

I was only suggesting to start from the mobo so you can decide the basics of what you're looking for, and then go from there, but you can do it either way.

I actually built my computer by looking at a CPU, looking at a decent mobo, and then looking at what I needed and norrow the mobo down, then went from there. (I knew I wanted PCIE and something with both SATA and IDE connections, no SLI because I was on a budget, and no pricey ones, for the same reason). I still find it funny that my RAM was more expensive than both my mobo and my CPU, lol.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 01:06:29 AM »
The problem is I don't know what one is good for what, I want a decent gaming PC (damn decent, as in can play TF2 without any trouble) that I can also use for school, which I would then need decent amounts of memory. So I'm guessing I should get SLi for the graphics card and possibly something with a good CPU? (processor?)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:11:24 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 01:22:05 AM »
Well, one way to look at what is "good" is by taking a look at the best items in a given category... If you get some idea of what the best is, you can compare the lesser items to it. Also, user reviews can be useful.

I'm not up on what is good any more, but I know they have to be better than my AMD Athlon64 3800+ with 1 GB ram, lol.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 05:08:33 PM »
Personally every time I go on newegg to get a quote on what I'd like, I start with the proc.  What speed do I want, etc. I'm going to be going 64bit, because it makes a difference. Also noting that I would like SLI support for graphics. Easier for me to pick out a mobo now that I have socket size and video card options.

Ram is easy, HDDs it's either one or the other, or both. But for me, whatever HD my mobo I choose supports, I'll buy it. Plus I can always get USB enclosures for my separate IDEs that I already own.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 05:44:31 PM »
Well, sometimes stuff like enclosures are too expensive, depending on the person. There's no real one way to put a comp together, it depends on what is your priority, and such.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 03:31:09 PM »
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6326992&WishListTitle=mortified

I got recommended this. I'm probably going to switch out vista for a cheaper version of XP, mostly because I've been using XP forever.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 03:34:45 PM »
That, and vista blows...

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 03:45:18 PM »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 05:38:35 PM »
That, and vista blows...

So, uh, how much have you actually used it? :/
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 01:19:48 AM »
Honestly, not much. I know it was a stupid remark, and you can probably give 10 or 15 reasons it doesn't, but right now my main issue is: XP works fine, and unless you want to play a DX10 game, as far as I'm concerned, there's absolutely no need to upgrade. I'd much rather run a system that I know is stable and will run any hardware than a newfangled OS that has had quite a few stores about missing drivers, terrible support for a number of sound and graphics issues (EAX calls being disabled, or somesuch, and bad SLI support [no support? did they get drivers for that yet?]), Not to mention the retarded license issues.

As far as I'm concerned, even the words and most unstable linux distro is a better choice than vista.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x