Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 248757 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #660 on: October 13, 2010, 06:41:34 PM »
Holy crap. Wow, I'm definitely looking forward to that then. God damn I wish I had money for a retail account right now.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #661 on: October 13, 2010, 06:44:34 PM »
Do some, uh, "under the table" work for someone.  That should pay pretty well.

Make sure to bring some mouthwash and breath mints, though.  That kind of "job" isn't exactly something you'd want to, uh, advertise.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #662 on: October 13, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »
Lol, I don't think my knees could take that kind of punishment.

If I get a co-op position (even though it's really late for that) I'll have money, but none of it will be expendable :/

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #663 on: October 13, 2010, 06:55:34 PM »
Yeah, being out of work for a while is rough.  So much stuff to catch up on.

I'd suggest trying to get a part-time position somewhere just to hold you by for now (since employment, regardless of where it is, looks far better than unemployment does on a resum

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #664 on: October 13, 2010, 11:09:34 PM »
Thing is, this is a co-op term in college, which ends just before Christmas break. Basically I need to get a co-op position ASAP so I can get enough hours in for it to be accepted, not to mention that any money I make basically needs to go towards tuition. If I don't make any money, I'll need to dip into the college funds my parents put away for my brother (which means if he does decide to go to college sometime, I owe him). Of course, he doesn't seem like he's gonna be going to college, so I don't think I've got much to worry about on that front. The kid seems perfectly content to waste his time trying to make it in a band (actually, in 2 bands right now). He isn't even trying to get a job, either.

In any case, basically, I'm in a really bad position, and getting some shitty job won't help nearly as much as getting a co-op, because every co-op that I miss means I'll graduate one more semester later than I should. I've already missed one, and it looks like I might miss this one too :/

Also, on topic: What new kinds of quests are available for 1-60 leveling now?

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kulli

« Reply #665 on: October 13, 2010, 11:27:13 PM »
From my personal experience, it's about 75% new quests and 25% the same as before/slightly retooled. (Depending on the zone, this percentage fluctuates. However, the percentage of "new" is usually always at least >50%.)

OT: How come you don't move to Toronto or something, if you don't mind me asking? There should be jobs and stuff there :O

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #666 on: October 13, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »
From my personal experience, it's about 75% new quests and 25% the same as before/slightly retooled. (Depending on the zone, this percentage fluctuates. However, the percentage of "new" is usually always at least >50%.)

OT: How come you don't move to Toronto or something, if you don't mind me asking? There should be jobs and stuff there :O

I was more curious about what kinds of quests the new ones are, but it's nice to hear that they changed things so dramatically. I've been really pumped for cataclysm since it was announced, and this REALLY makes me wish I had some chance to play it. I mean, the last time I played on the official servers was sometime just after TBC came out :/

OT: I can't move out because I have no money, plus, moving to Toronto would make me even farther away from my college than I already am. It's just not feasible. I'd have moved to Barrie, where my college is, if it would have been cheaper than living at home, but it's still cheaper to drive every day to school than it would have been to live there, even if I didn't have a car (tl;dr my car still needs work).

My girlfriend has been living in Barrie for most of the time we've been in college, but she's also taking OSAP student loans to pay for her education, something I'm trying to avoid at all costs. (I do NOT want to be in debt to the government...) My girlfriend is going to be something like 60k in debt by the time she's done :/ (she's going to be an artist, and she's taking a 4 year program in art, and then she's going to use the university connections our school has to get a BFA on top of that program.)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kulli

« Reply #667 on: October 14, 2010, 12:46:28 AM »
I was more curious about what kinds of quests the new ones are, but it's nice to hear that they changed things so dramatically.

Imagine real-time quests that you can turn in when you're nowhere near the questgiver (not all quests are like this)

Imagine quests with non-cinematic cutscenes

Imagine quests that actually flow with each other

etc.

OT

sorry to hear that, sir

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #668 on: October 14, 2010, 01:06:29 AM »
Oh god, I forgot to mention those.  I love the real-time quests the most.  Here's a couple examples of how they work:

Going into Durotar with a high level toon will give you a quest to talk to a shaman in the city.  Speaking with him will basically cause a non-cinematic cutscene and will lead you to the quests in Vashj'ir.  While you're roaming through the city you'll see a quest-giver that gives you quests to go into Hyjal and, uh, the other 78-82 area.  There's no more question of the next level-appropriate area to go to is.  The game points you in the right direction without you having to roam around, yet still gives you the freedom to ignore its suggestions.

A variety of this quest occurs in Vashj'ir.  If you kill an eel, you get this quest:

After you follow the objectives, the quest shows up with a "(click to complete)" tag on the tracker, which allows you to turn it in without going to see an NPC:

It's probably best not to ask where the gold comes from.  At least it's something to do while you're milling about.

Oh, also, you get some experience for gathering ore and flowers now (roughly the same experience you get for killing monsters, it seems, though you do get tiny amounts of exp for mining low level mats at a high level).  I haven't checked whether you get experience for crafting yet.  This occurs on the 4.0.1 patch that was just released, too, so yay.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #669 on: October 14, 2010, 02:23:19 AM »
Very interesting! I really like the idea of real-time quests, though I have to admit before I even read your comment about not asking, I immediately wondered where the hell the gold came from :P Also, exp from mining etc. is fucking awesome.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #670 on: November 02, 2010, 01:35:02 AM »

Tonight was Good(TM).

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #671 on: November 07, 2010, 10:20:22 PM »
Heh, I soloed regular Forge of Souls as a level 85 fury warrior.  Not bad considering I've never really played a warrior over level 20 before.

It probably helps that you get an obscene amount of health in Cataclysm.

Tomiswin

• Cake and Pie and SUCH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 07, 2010, 11:40:22 PM »
holy crap man, thats badass

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #673 on: November 08, 2010, 12:01:22 AM »
Damn straight.  Of course, I did it with like iLvl 359 epics.  Yay for premades!

Now to do PoS and HoR... <_<

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #674 on: November 08, 2010, 06:11:15 AM »
iLvl 359 epics.

Christ. What sort of DPS were you getting?

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x