Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 248510 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #705 on: November 22, 2010, 05:12:07 PM »
<- Teknyx

brb, crying.

/hug :(

Also, look at it this way: I beat Dan and he has considerably better gear.

A prot spec would pretty much ensure that I wouldn't be able to DPS my way through the final gauntlet.  Also, in my experience with my DK, soloing in a tank spec really isn't particularly effective.

To elaborate on this a bit more (now that I'm not le tired), I've noticed that even very good warriors lose a considerably amount of DPS when jumping to prot.  Whenever I have my cousin run me through things on my druid, it's always far easier for him to use fury as opposed to his prot spec.  He can hold aggro exceedingly well in prot, even with large groups, but his damage output is rather low.  Even though he's not particularly well-geared for DPS, simply speccing fury and holding a couple of two-handers pushes his damage output way up.  DKs and pallies don't feel the burn nearly as badly as druid and warrior tanks.  Even as of 4.0, DKs can still work as a functional tank -- at least in 5-mans -- in any spec (despite what Blizzard says) due to how presences work.  I can pop blood on my DK, become uncrittable, and still do decent damage.  Hitting defensive stance on a warrior forces you to say goodbye to most of your heavy-hitting moves, since the AoEs available in defensive stance are focused on greatly increasing threat and not dealing high damage.  To that end, I rarely see prot warriors out-DPS anyone, regardless of how well-geared they are.

In the case of HoR, I absolutely need to be doing considerable damage.  The mobs have high health and hit hard.  Regardless of whether I'm in a tank or DPS spec, the rogue can still sap me and they can deliver a ton of hurt to me while I'm stunned.  I think that the only way I'm going to do it is to try to keep the casters from hitting me (or casting, for that matter), dealing as much damage as I can to specific mobs, and ignore the standard mob prioritization.  I'm thinking that Mercenary -> Footman -> Priest -> Mage -> Marksman would probably work.  Bonus points if I can get keep the casters together and DPS them down quickly.

I know I'm kind of obsessing over DPS and LOL NUMBERS, but it's really a huge deal for this.  Before I successfully killed Tyrannus I pretty much filed through everything, trying to find a way to push up my attack power and stamina as much as humanly possible.  It's probably a good thing that my mind has been thoroughly stuck in raid mode lately.

Edit: FUCK.  Beta was shut down without notice. D:<  So much for that...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:54:34 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

jinxie

• Meow!
  • cool kids club president 2004-2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 23, 2010, 09:40:41 AM »
I think I logged out in Auberdine doing some rep grinding.

....it'll be interesting to see where I log in at (or am dead lol)

I'll be floating in water next to some dead night elves D:

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 23, 2010, 04:26:48 PM »
With this current patch going, is it changing everything around for eastern and kalimdor now, or just prepping for cata when it releases?

Kulli

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 23, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »
Wow, I was online, and ported to Ironforge, now whenever I try to log on with ANY character, it immediately disconnects me. Any known fix for this? I already tried disabling/deleting all my addons, but that didn't do it.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #710 on: November 23, 2010, 06:30:29 PM »
Try clearing you cache. (Just delete the folder called Cache inside the WoW folder.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 23, 2010, 06:34:47 PM »
Did all that, cleared cache wtf and interface folders, still doing it.

Kulli

« Reply #712 on: November 23, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »
Open wow through the launcher

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #713 on: November 24, 2010, 12:28:09 AM »
I started up a tauren pally on Turalyon tonight with Armegeddon, did a bunch of quests, and came to a startling revelation:

THE STARTING GEAR IS ACTUALLY A MATCHED SET.  Holy fucking shit.  No more technicolor tauren for me, I guess.

I have no idea how it's going to be when I walk outside of Mulgore, but I guess I'll soon find out.  My only hope is that everyone doesn't wind up looking the same like they do when they're geared for endgame raids.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #714 on: November 24, 2010, 12:59:10 AM »
Wow, you were right, that actually kinda does look pretty good for starter gear (and in general).
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kulli

« Reply #715 on: November 24, 2010, 01:00:23 AM »
tauren pally

hate you

also all pre-outland gear matches whatever zone it came from

jinxie

• Meow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 24, 2010, 06:08:29 PM »
i dunno, you guys may find this interesting, it humored me lol (except Ian cause his dumb face had beta)

Having quested with 4 horde characters in Hillsbrad Foothills (mainly the Tarren Mill stuff) I logged on with one of them to check out the major Forsaken stuffs changes.  I ran over to the Sludge Fields and saw that all the named people you had to kill from the Battle for Hillsbrad quests were now undead elites.

but mainly the thing that made me actually laugh irl?

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=47793

the fact that they mashed all the farmers together to make one disgustingly hilarious blob.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:27:26 PM by jinxie »

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 25, 2010, 02:45:04 AM »
Its actually a clone of festergut and Rotface, 2 bosses from ICC. Just added a rake to their hands, haha.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #718 on: November 25, 2010, 02:45:56 AM »
also all pre-outland gear matches whatever zone it came from

That hasn't proven true in my experience.  I distinctly remember being mismatched before even stepping foot outside of Mulgore.

My current rogue (a troll) was geared in pre-Shattering Durotar and his gear was all over the place before I left Durotar (brown vest, green pants, yellow boots...he looks terrible).  That was a very recent character, rolled after 4.0 hit the public realm.

Its actually a clone of festergut and Rotface, 2 bosses from ICC. Just added a rake to their hands, haha.

Lawl yeah, that.  He's quite a bit smaller, too, IIRC (I just did a fly-over in beta, so I didn't get a good sense of scale).

It made me chuckle.

jinxie

• Meow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 25, 2010, 03:03:28 AM »
I just found it funny that that's what ended up happening to them. :D but it's nice to know I'll eventually see that model again. D: ehhh, if I get to that point.  KEEP PLAYING ALTS. KEEP. GAHH

I actually just got to do the quests at level with a spriest i had that just kinda sat there.

I pretty much love the 'quest giver' quests.

I USED TO BE A FARMER!

also when leveling I really don't think my outfits have matched much, except for the draenei pally i made who bought all the starter stuff outright.