Author Topic: The *nux Help Thread  (Read 25052 times)

Malwyn

• View Profile
Re: The Linux Help Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2007, 11:33:03 PM »
BSD has fanboys also. They tend to be scarier.

Also, I don't think it's really fair to call Darwin a 'BSD'. That's like calling Frankenstein's monster any of the names of any of the people he was made from. In the end he's still abomination. D:<

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 12:00:15 AM »
Like it or not, Darwin is a BSD. :P  And just because the OS puts shininess over functionality in many cases doesn't mean that the kernel is bad.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 12:01:07 AM »
Well, they're obscure enough. I've never heard anything about BSD fanboys. Ever. And I've been hearing a lot about linux fanboys online for ages.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 12:04:40 AM »

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 12:07:28 AM »
I don't believe I've ever heard you saying anything fanboyish...

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2007, 12:10:47 AM »
LOL i <3 freeBSD LAWL LINUX SUKCSKS HAHAHAhahAHAHhahAhafj!#N!N!JNJ!!!JHN!HK!HKB!K1

8)

jk, but really... I just like bsd more. i can't give details, but using freeBSD on my shell has really made me appreciate it. It's powerful, versatile, and is just super spiffy. I've had to fight with linux here at home, but that freebsd is just so smoooooooth. That's all.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 12:15:27 AM »
With Linux it sort of depends on what distro you pick, really.

If FreeBSD's ports system tickles your fancy, Gentoo might very well be for you.  Portage was heavily inspired by the ports system.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 06:01:10 AM »
So um, this blows. Every single time I reboot the computer, it can't find NTLDR. So, I have to put the windows CD in, and go repair my XP install (not recovery console) to get it to keep all the settings and such and boot into windows. Needless to say I'm getting VERY tired of doing this VERY quickly. I want to hurt whoever designed whatever portion of windows/my harddrive/whatever that's failing to work right. I've tried using the recovery console fixboot and such with no luck.

EDIT: ok, I found a copy of ntldr that was on my C: drive (my main is now labeled E: for some reason when I had reinstalled, and I'm too lazy to change it around) and the boot.ini that was there, I'll post an update next time I have to reboot on whether it worked or not.

So, um, Fuck. Games I was playing crashed, rebooted, hoping it would finally work, and lo and behold, it reboots. So apparently ntldr is in the right place, but I'm either missing something, or my nice little boot.ini is fucked. Why can't the microsoft guys get even the windows installer to work? When I reformat and make a clean install, I expect it to fucking WORK, not constantly complain because for some reason ntldr keeps disappearing and shit.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 07:38:59 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2007, 11:34:24 AM »
Don't blame Microsoft for a fault that only seems to be happening on your computer. :/  The only time I've seen NTLDR shit itself is when there were hardware problems or bad drivers (I've been using NT for seven years and have *never* had an NTLDR issue on my computer, and that's on hardware ranging from a P2-400 to my current P4-2800).  Make sure everything is completely up-to-date and, failing that, try rolling back to an older motherboard driver release.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2007, 02:23:56 PM »
A) 'm running the mobo drivers that came on the CD with my mobo, because I'm lazy and didn't feel like looking for any updated ones, B) I will admit that this issue is VERY obscure, but I think it must have been something that the windows install didn't do right, because as far as I can tell, this missing ntldr issue is a product of windows not liking linux, even though I wiped this harddrive clean and performed numerous fixboot and fixmbr commands to the point that that anything that was there before I reinstalled linux should have been long gone....

The only thing I haven't done to update windows is install SP2 because last time I checked, rebooting meant "repairing" my install, which would likely fuck something in the installation process up.

It just pisses me off that neither making a completely clean install of windows, nor using the recovery console, nor using the repair option fixed this issue. It's times like these that small flaws piss me off. It wouldn't be such a headache if microsoft made dealing with ntldr and the advanced partition stuff more user friendly, instead of treating it as something nobody should ever touch.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2007, 08:26:37 PM »
What makes you think that it's "Windows not liking Linux?"  I have four operating systems on my computer now and I don't seem to be having any problems.  In the seven years experience I've had with NT I've been using Linux on my main system for over five of them.

It's NOT a problem with Windows.  Update your drivers.  And no, fucking with the boot loader should NOT be a user-friendly task.  Even Linux distros keep the users distanced from lilo/GRUB in a lot of cases.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2007, 12:54:34 AM »
It should not be something that anyone can get access to unless they actually need to, but it should be at least a little more user friendly. I still fail to see how this could be anything near a driver issue. Albeit I'm not sure exactly where it's failing, but I think part of the missing ntldr issue was that windows assumes that C:\ is your main drive in some cases, and since my drives were switched when my 320 GB drive was screwed, and now it's my E:\ drive, I'm thinking that the install probably installed ntldr to C:\ by default and installed everything else to the E:\ drive. That's where I think it's not working right now, though I could be wrong.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2007, 11:05:53 PM »
Windows NT doesn't assume anything, it can boot from any device.  It doesn't matter at all where NTLDR is located, as long as Windows can see it.

And why couldn't it be a driver related issue?  How do you suppose your disks are read?  If there is a conflict or a bug in the driver it could corrupt data, and the boot loader is NOT immune to such things.  I've seen things like that happen before; bad initialization code can lead to issues like that.  Rather than trying to shoot down my advice, arguing with me, and blaming Microsoft for computer problems that only you are having, try some of my suggestions (or at least say that you have). :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2007, 01:40:07 AM »
I think I know what's happening. Windows installer is putting the boot loader on my now C:\ drive. But, the computer wants too boot off of my E:\ drive, where windows is physically located. I'm not exactly sure what I need to do to enforce it to load from my C:\ drive, but if I hit F8 when it wants me to hit DEL to enter the BIOS setup, I can select which harddrive to boo explicitly, so for now if it keeps trying to boot off E:\ (which would work if I'd known that instead of the line being multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin, it's now multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin.)

I just edited my boot.ini on E:\ to reflect that, so hopefully it'll work, no matter which one it wants to load...

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
Re: The *nux Help Thread
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2007, 09:46:41 AM »
ok, so i put freebsd on my one compy, installed 4 different environments, and i must say...

freebsd is the shmexy shmexiest. it's sexy. really, really sexy. What do i do to get firefox?

i type: pkg_add -r -v firefox

fucking done.

what's that, apache? mysql? php? DONE DONE DONE. easy. why cant everything be like this? christ!