Author Topic: [Review] Mr. Jump  (Read 2621 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
[Review] Mr. Jump
« on: April 30, 2015, 12:19:44 AM »
Name: Burn It Down
Platform(s): iOS
Price: Free (ad supported; $1.99 to remove ads)

Note: I typed this whole thing out on my iPhone to post on the App Store, so kindly ignore any typos you might see. :)

If you enjoy titles like the Impossible Game, odds are you'll love this one.

At its core, Mr. Jump is a very simple concept: you control a character that constantly runs forward and obediently jumps whenever you tap the screen. This style has been done to death with the infinite runner genre as well as even some fixed levels.

What sets Mr. Jump ahead of most titles, in my eyes, is its level design and overall feel. The levels provide an increasing challenge as you move on, adding new mechanics and power ups, and the overall feel is very tight and satisfying. Whenever I die (and that happens pretty often!) I never get the slightest feeling that I was cheated by the game. It's always very obvious what I did wrong and what I can do differently on the next attempt.

Additionally, the levels are nice and short (maybe a little longer than your average Super Meat Boy level), ensuring that the same works very well as a quick "pick up and play" title as well as making failure far less frustrating.

The difficulty might be a bit off-putting to some, but fortunately the developers are very reasonable when it comes to ad frequency and prices. Ads appear relatively infrequently and all of the ones that I've seen were static images, so it doesn't seem like you need to sit through video ads constantly. The price to remove all ads is $1.99, which I feel is reasonable for the amount of play time I've gotten.

I would highly recommend giving Mr. Jump a shot if you enjoy platformers. It's a fun and challenging game that you can easily play on the go.

Final Score: 85% - Great!

Edit: Please note that there is a game called "Mr Jump" on the Google Play store. That is not the same game as this one and appears to be of much poorer quality. Sadly, it doesn't appear as though this game is available for Android, Windows Phone, or other mobile platforms.

Edit 2: This review was written before the v2.0 release, so it doesn't take the additional 12 levels into account.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:22:59 AM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."