Author Topic: [VIDEO] NewF gets *GOLD* in speed challenge Chamber 13  (Read 7155 times)

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
[VIDEO] NewF gets *GOLD* in speed challenge Chamber 13
« on: October 19, 2007, 02:34:19 AM »
I can gladly say, I figured this out on my own, no walkthru's or anything! (Only time I used a walkthru was on the chamber 18 advanced puzzle, and even then, I didn't really need it, I was missing small dumb stuff)
I don't care what anyone sais, this was DAMN HARD to figure out and get down perfect (well, close to perfect, 40fps while recording = bleh. I could prolly shave a second off the time) after a while. I'm quite proud of myself.

Wewt?

P.s: Thanks to Zakamiro for the song Pendulum is awesome! (Whats a cool video without cool music, right?)
P.p.s: I'll prolly be making more videos of other achievements when I find a better program that dosen't make me lag as much.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: [VIDEO] NewF gets *GOLD* in speed challenge Chamber 13
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 02:52:17 AM »
Woo, nice run!  I'm still working on the "least portals" challenges myself.  And yeah, I definitely know what you mean about about the famous fraps framerate drop. :(  Ah well, it does a fine job.

And yeah, Fasten Your Seatbelts is a kickass song. =D
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 02:57:37 AM »
Does fraps encode your video on the fly as it's being recorded? If so, then you could tell it to record uncompressed and then encode it later yourself to increase the framerate a little, because I'm sure encoding video on the fly slows the game down.

(if you have the free space for the uncompressed video anyway.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 02:59:11 AM »
I have no idea how to do that lol.

But the strange thing is...I had a copy of a legit fraps a looong while back, and it was on my shitty ass computer, and I was getting quite good fps with it...it hardly dimmed it down at all.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 03:00:51 AM »
fraps caps the framerate to a set amount and encodes the video using a light-weight compressor.

Trying to save uncompressed video in real-time would be virtually impossible.  The bus would completely choke, your hard drive would be essentially gridlocked, and you'd drop frames (in the video and in your game) like crazy.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 03:20:07 AM »
Hmm, wasn't sure on the feasibility.. If only there was a way to like, pipe the output into a second video card and capture it through that card's input while watching from the primary card. It'd require a second video card, but it might work better.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 03:26:07 AM »
The VGA/DVI ports on video cards are outputs, not inputs.  You could do that with TV-out but you'd lose a lot of quality that way (since it would most likely be an 480i signal going into a cheap tuner card), moreso than if you were to use fraps.

Also, the only way that could possibly work is to have a second computer system set up in cable's length to your main one.  Not to mention that the second system would have to have the bus bandwidth to stream uncompressed video, or the CPU power to compress it on-the-fly, etc etc.  The point is, the fraps codec is the best way to do it.  It's light enough to not affect framerate all that much yet compresses it enough so that you could save video on the same drive that you're playing the game from (not that I recommend that, but it is possible -- that's what I did on the sPoop video).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 03:45:36 AM »
Bah, Video recording is such a retarded issue.

And I wasn't referring to using the DVI/VGA ports for output.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 03:59:35 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 03:58:39 AM »
Yes...it is...back to the video!!! Awesome huh?!

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 02:13:37 AM »
Yes...it is...back to the video!!! Awesome huh?!

Impressive, in fact half way threw I had about no clue what you were doing.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 02:15:13 AM »
LoL, thats what alot of people say. So I tell them to slow down the video or pause it bit by bit and I explain to them what I do :P

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 03:16:32 AM »
Man, I have no idea what's going on for most of that video, lol. I guess it's kinda hard to understand if you've never played portal before, but 17 seconds still seems like a godly fast run.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 05:20:07 PM »
Ok, i'll explain it 1 step at a time.
Another thing, alot of people think..."its fast so there couldn't have been much he really had to do"
Little do they know....lol.

First off, start from the beginning..step by step of what I do.

1. Shoot an exit portal at the wall in front of me, shoot an entrance portal under me; fall through the entrance under me, and exit out the wall in front of me (to save time from walking down the hall)

2. Shoot an exit portal behind the box on the upper ledge you cannot jump up on, and an entrance portal on the wall. Go through the entrance portal on the wall, grab the box through it, jumped down to the lower floo, stood on the button that opened the door, shot an exit portal on the celing through the security door, grabbed the box and walked through the entrance portal behind me, falling through the exit hole through the celing in the other room.

3. Shot an exit portal in the celing above the far security door button, shot an entrance portal under the box, box falls through the entrance portal and falls on the far security door button out of the exit portal.

4. Shot an exit portal above the closer security door button, then shot a portal under me, I fell through and landed on the second security button.

5. Far door opens, Shot an exit portal on the wall past the second security door, then an entrance portal on the wall behind me.

6. Walk through the entrance portalbehind me, exiting out the exit portal past the security door.

7. Walk to the exit.

8. Celebrate.

So yeah, first off, I had to actually figure out how to go through the level as fast as possible (which took a hell of a long time) then you actually have to DO it, which took even longer. By the way, didn't use any saves throughout the video it was just a straight run. :D
Ps: the Celebrating was pretty hard to accomplish :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:26:00 PM by NewF »