Author Topic: Help! Sound! Agh!  (Read 7573 times)

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
Help! Sound! Agh!
« on: October 24, 2007, 03:16:57 AM »
Just bought a new soundcard. "Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme audio"

Got the sound working beautifully with everything (finally) but the only problem is...my new headset I got, can't get the mic to work.
Now...i'll tell you how I got all this setup.
Its set with 4.1 sound for the speakers, I got 2 desktop speakers, and 2 floor house speakers hooked in the back in the X-Fi soundcard.
I got my headset plugged in my front sound port (on-board disabled) but it works, I dunno how that works, I thought the front input was part of the onboard sound.
Anyway, I tried plugging the mic in both the front port and the port on the soundcard itself, with the settings set to microphone (other settings are What U Hear, Line-In, S-PDIF-In and Auxiliary.
So, set it to Mic, did the test hardware, didn't work in either one of the ports, tried all the other settings, but the only thing that worked was the "What U Hear" setting.
Can't seem to get the mic to work. Any help? Everything i'm using is BRAND NEW so I don't think its a hardware problem. I also tried with the original drivers installed, and also with the ones Spec has in that Hackintosh thread (Which i'm currently using)
I must be doing something wrong somewhere.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Help! Sound! Agh!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 04:01:55 AM »
Ok, go to your sound properties and hit advanced, to get into the dialog that looks like this:

And make sure that Microphone isn't muted in the playback, then go to File -> Properties and switch to Recording and make sure that the Select box is ticked under microphone.

If you didn't already know "What U Hear" is for recording all the sounds that come out of your speakers, it's kinda a bad thing to use unless absolutely necessary (like needing to route the sound output from something into another program or something.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 04:06:51 AM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:47:14 PM »
Alright...well I'm pretty sure I did both of those and it still didn't work, but i'm not sure about the unmuting in the playback. I'm almost 100% sure that I unmuted it in the playback....I know 100% that I chose the Microphone though for the recording, so when I get home tonight I'll do that as well and check see if that was the problem.
And also, its definately something with the settings, cause the card and headset is brand new, and I just exchanged the headset for a different one today and still couldn't get it to work.
So if this dosen't work, or i've already done that, what else can I do?

*Edit*
Also, some guy told me "my drivers weren't updated properly, so he got me to re-install the drivers, now its like...well, I dunno if its messed up or not, but theres something missing from what I had before.
First off, the drivers size from before what the computer guy installed, (which is a friend of mine, I know him and talk to him every once in a while) the size was 200 MB.
Now with the new drivers, its only 80something MB. And also, there was a program that he told me to uninstall called "Sound Blaster PCI"
Is that important? Because its not there anymore, but my sound and everything is still working.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 04:09:14 PM by NewF »

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 11:55:07 PM »
Yeah, all the settings are as how you told me...unmuted in volume control, chosen in recording, db boost, and what not...still not working -_-

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 01:52:23 AM »
No idea. :/ If I was physically there it might be different, but I'm not that good at troubleshooting something I've never encountered before over the net.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 12:28:06 AM »
Oh and also, when I put it as mute/unmute, you can hear that "sssssssss" sound as if the mic is muted and un-muted...but still nothing...so I dunno wtf to do.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 03:38:30 AM »
Have you tried using the Line-In plug at all? You might not be able to use it due to it being really quiet, but just see if it works. Also, go to a relevant forum for sound card issues, since I'm not sure anyone here can help.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 07:26:19 PM »
Which one is the "line-in plug"?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 12:51:24 AM »
Consult your sound card manual, or look it up online, each sound card is slightly different, can I can't remember what color they usually use.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »
http://educations.newegg.com/item/29/102/29-102-007/29-102-007_1.jpg

My sound card, big speakers are hooked in line 1, small in line 2.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 04:41:31 PM »
Well crap, then there is no direct "line in", the mic and line in inputs share a plug...
I have no idea what to do, except tell you to open up any sound management stuff that came with the drivers if there is anything (sometimes drivers how their own things. Example: AC97 drivers tend to have a program that has an EQ and some effects built in, as well as a bunch of other crap.)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 05:11:28 PM »
I've messed with every setting possible for the EQ and everything else...nothing seems to work -_-