Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 7759 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 06:50:27 PM »
It actually drove me crazy that Win8 didn't have them, haha. It made it so much easier to tell individual windows apart. Amazing what a little bit of perceived depth can do to the user experience.

One major WTF with Windows 10 (and probably Windows 8 as well, seeing as it's more or less the same app): 628335513431330816[/tweet]][/url]. whyyyyyy

And yeah, Salieri Strikes Back is fun as hell. It's going to take some work for me to be able to nail that ending again, though. I can pretty much AAA up to that point. :P Having a decent mechanical keyboard definitely makes playing a lot more enjoyable, I have to say. That said, I think a keyboard with heavier keys (like the CODE Keyboard I use at work with MX Clear switches) would make it a bit easier. The one I have on my system (Logitech G710+) has MX Browns (with 2mm o-rings to dampen the sound and force of bottoming out), which have the same basic feel but require less actuation force.

I've also played on keyboards with MX Blacks and MX Blues. The MX Black's lack of a tactile bump caused me to bottom out more often than not, and the MX Blue's large difference between the actuation and release points tended to throw me off (though the click was certainly nice!).

Yeah, I've become a bit of a mechanical keyboard whore in the last few years. I am not ashamed.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 07:05:16 PM »
It's a good thing I never play any of the built in games or that would be a big deal for me too, but yeah it's pretty wtf.

I've never had the money to justify buying a mech, so I play on my laptop kb. I'm surprised how well laptop keyboards actually work for this stuff. I'd love to get a chance to though.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 08:12:33 PM »
Laptop keyboards are quite good, actually. The scissor switch design is significantly more reliable and less prone to sticking than rubber dome keyboards with tracks, not to mention it requires less force, has stronger tactile feedback, and has significantly less key travel. I can't tell you how many rubber dome keyboards I've used out of the box where the keys would randomly stick and become difficult to press. Normally I'm not the type to bring nice things into the office, but I ended up getting my CODE Keyboard for work specifically because coding all day would just make my fingers ache, which is something I'd never experienced at any of my previous jobs or at home.

Apple ended up getting to the point where all of their keyboards use scissor switch. It's nice for typing, but never ever try gaming on them. I've made the mistake of playing both Cave Story and StepMania on my iMac's keyboard. The problem isn't the keys themselves, but the solid aluminum back of the keyboard. I ended up playing Vertex Beta and ow ow ow ow ow.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 01:23:33 AM »
Double post because it's my forum, dammit (and it's been well over a month).

After dealing with a few touchscreen devices (an ASUS ultrabook, an HP Stream 7, and my Surface Pro 3) over the last couple of months, I've found that touchscreens, of all things, seem to be Windows 10's biggest downfall. I've run into several situations where I've taken a system out of suspend or rebooted it, only for the touchscreen to not work at all. The Surface, in particular, occasionally freaks the fuck out (where if I touch in the upper-right of the screen, regardless of orientation--making it clearly a software issue--it does weird things like recognize drags as rapid taps). And it's not just my Surface, either. The CFO where I work uses a SP3 for his company laptop and he runs into the exact same issues.

Rebooting--or, on rare occasions, waiting--fixes the problem, but it's still really bloody annoying. How in the hell did that manage to make it into the full release? I remember reading about touchscreen issues earlier on, but the fact that it's happening almost two months after release--to a variety of machines, no less--is pretty damn silly.

That said, when it's on, it's really on. Having separate tablet and desktop modes that can be toggled at will was a wonderful and welcome addition, and the automatic prompt to switch works properly most of the time (if it doesn't trigger because of some odd condition, it's just a swipe and a tap away). My SP3 and Stream 7 both shipped with Windows 8.1, and that felt downright clunky. Just the simple fact that universal and desktop applications are treated appropriately (desktop applications are full screen in tablet mode, universal applications are windows in desktop mode) makes the experience so much nicer.

Using desktop applications in tablet mode certainly isn't perfect, but that's largely unavoidable. If you're using Outlook and open up a calendar entry, the calendar entry will launch as a full screen window rather than a floating window, as expected. It seems like anything that can be maximized will be maximized. It does support floating windows, but it only seems to display them as floating windows if it's a fixed-sized dialog box. Regardless, it's a hell of a lot better than the experience of trying to use desktop applications on a Windows 8/8.1 tablet.

Edge both pleases and frustrates the hell out of me. It's lean, it's mean, it's fast as hell, but the UI is kind of wonky and buggy, particularly with scrolling. Web pages that use browser user agent sniffing can predictably fail in weird ways, but that's to be expected. When sites are written properly, compatibility is great. Developing for it is wonderful as well (I'm a professional web developer now, in case I haven't mentioned it yet). IE11 required zero additional effort from me and Edge continues that trend. Considering I've already worked around one particularly annoying Firefox regression this year, I'd say that Microsoft has come a long way.

The forced automatic updates can go fuck themselves straight to hell, however.