Author Topic: Mandatory console debate  (Read 9546 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Mandatory console debate
« on: October 24, 2007, 08:30:33 PM »
Making this because it's been far too peaceful around here, also because mandatory for every internet forum to have one. So yeah, whats you're stance on this whole pricey "next gen" gaming systems.

"PS3 nor the wii haven't been out long enough to build up their game base, plus the 360 doesn't have that many great exclusives that aren't going to PC, PS3. I'd honestly wait before buying anything, it could still go either way for any of the consoles."

This is my basic opinion, discusss.

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
Re: Mandatory console debate
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:38:15 PM »
For now, the Wii is a better choice because it's the cheapest/easiest to obtain and will satisfy your craving for solid first and third-party games. The Wii is easily the least of a gamble out of all of the next-gen consoles, you can be sure you're getting your money's worth.

In the future, that might change, of course. The 360 could get dozens of godlike games and suddenly be better than both the other consoles combined. But as of right now, it's just not all that great (and what's with the silly hardware issues, my friend got red-ring-of-deathed the day before Halo 3 came out >_>)

Not even going to mention the PShueg, haha. I'll wait for it to get some good games and then actually seriously look at it[s price tag].

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 12:16:03 AM »
360 all the way.  Great games, excellent online community [marketplace/downloads/etc]. Get the widest game selection for the middle price of the 3 consoles.

Wii, if you enjoy family-oriented entertainment [this isn't suggesting that Wii doesn't have the capability or any games at all that are violent, I know they do, but hey.] Heavy graphics are not the forerunner for this system, but re-playability is.  If you're a zelda/mario head, get this system. Also if your life is too busy to dedicate to games, get this system.

Ps3....

no
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:18:43 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, the 360 is the best current-gen system that I own.

The Wii and PS3 really don't have the games to hold them at the moment, though the Wii's overall library is significantly better than the PS3's and is getting better.  It is having the same problem as the GameCube -- the only company producing truly amazing games for it is Nintendo.  Think about it: Zelda, Metroid, SSB, Mario...those are all Nintendo franchises.  There are a few other fun games in the mix (ELEBITS <3) but there's still quite a ways to go.

The Xbox 360 has been out the longest and has quite a few good games.  Saying that a lot of its games are being ported to PC is a moot point because they come out on the 360 much sooner than on the PC and because the Xbox 360 is a LOT less than the $1250 that I, for one, would need to cost to upgrade my PC to the point of being able to play newer games.  Also, there's Xbox Live!, which features a lot more than just multiplayer play.  There's a whole slew of new, original games on there, not to mention easy access to game demos and other media.  The biggest problem with the system is the RRoD.  My friend hasn't red-ringed yet and he's owned a 360 since the second shipment and I haven't had any significant problems with mine (bought mine in December 2006) aside from the media for some games being stupidly cheap and cracking...but that's hardly a hardware problem.  The accessories are almost laughably expensive in some cases (the wi-fi adapter costs $100?  give me a fucking break) so hopefully as the PS3 starts to gain a bit more of a foothold that situation will improve.

The PS3 has a bit of catching up to do.  Its price tag is becoming more attractive, it has the capacity to function as a computer, its standard hard drive size isn't a joke, you can install games to the hard drive to improve loading times, it has built-in support for a HD disc format, and, really, its hardware is pretty nice overall.  The controllers are still a bit too cramped for my liking (I never did like the DualShock design, and the fact that stayed with it all this time made me a bit sad) and it needs some better games.  The current ports for it are generally worse than the original 360 version or whatever because the system is such a departure from what developers are used to working on.  The Cell is a pretty complex beast overall, probably not as complicated as the PS2's architecture, but still quite a bit harder than working with a triple-core PowerPC, a fairly standard GPU, and a nice set of hardware abstraction libraries like you would get on the 360.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 01:03:23 AM »
360 all the way.  Great games, excellent online community [marketplace/downloads/etc]. Get the widest game selection for the middle price of the 3 consoles.

When you said great community I thought you meant people, I think halo has one of the worst community reputations overall (probably because it comes with a mic and that means you have to act like a complete douche). Also I hate the fact that you have to pay for xbox live, when every other console and PC would let you play the same (well games you like, whatever) game on line for free. Also I haven't seen that many games going to it that are that great, unless it's a shooter which will eventually make it's way to PC. Also from what I've seen of PS3 and the games coming out for it (MGS4, heavenly sword, ratchet n clank, and possibly a new zone of enders), it looks a lot better then what the 360 has and is getting.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 02:27:11 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 01:39:27 AM »
Well any mainstream game has a douche-bag-esque quality about it, which they've tried to disperse by implementing things like 'match-making' things. Matching you up with almost equal-level players. But ultimately it is your choice who you play with and how you act.  I agree it's quite sad that a lot of gamers are douches. It all falls back to the 'my e-penis is bigger than yours' attitude, which ruins the reputation of gaming/multiplayer gaming in general. And that sucks.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 02:36:10 AM »
Everything is about online Multiplayer now. Also everyone who plays online games is like "lol Imma pawn (should be pronounced own, but what ever) sum noobs and if i start loosin I'll just leave the game" as compared to "cool I get to play other players and my friends, word". I wish they still made bad ass single player games. Also all games made now seem to be either a shooter, racing game, or some sports game, I really don't care for the majority of them.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 02:41:44 AM »
I don't have much to say, but I will reply to spec's point on the Dual Shocks.
I actually really like that design. It doesn't feel cramped to me and let's face it, those monster controllers that they originally used on the Xbox are WAY worse as far as usability and comfort :P

Plus, my girlfriend's small hands tend to get cramped playing on Gamecube controllers, because of the odd location of some of the buttons, where she's fine with a Dual Shock.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 03:06:15 AM »
At least Microsoft has the right idea of where to place joysticks.

Considering analog sticks have become a very BIG thing in gaming, why are they in a position that would cause fatigue to your thumbs after a short period of time?  I started playing PS2 games (namely, GT4) again a few months after I bought my 360 and I literally could play more than a couple of races in a set because my hands hurt too badly.  And I'm not the only person who had problems with it.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 03:14:15 AM »
^ that's really weird, I have had no problems what so ever with my PS2 controllers, in fact their probably my favorite controller style to date.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 03:32:20 AM »
Everything that isn't a PS3 is a good buy. If you can't find something good for the other systems, your tastes are probably far too narrow or you pay far too much attention to what's advertised. There's so much more to the 360 than shooters and there's tons more to the Wii than party games. I don't own a single one for it. Even the PSP has enough good stuff to justify the purchase (emulation, ps1 isos, at least 15 actual games worth owning).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 05:59:45 AM »
Lol, 15 games.. I remember back when the SNES was the main console and people had like, at LEAST 15 games if they were actually a gamer, and most of them were worth owning at that. (maybe not amazing, but still worth owning).

And yes, the joysticks on the PS2 controllers are lame, I will give microsoft a point for having excellent controllers.
(That's one issue that nintendo needs to work on, bot the GC and N64 controllers got a lot of joystick fatigue. Most of my GC controllers are fucked due to joystick issues of one sort or another.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 09:52:46 AM »
<opinion>

currently, although not a console, pc.  there arent many games for any of the 3 consoles out currently that would make me get one. 

yes i own a 360, however i only own TWO games for it, and ive had it for a year and a half now.  i may end up getting a ps3 in the later future when i have something called a job, and it has games more than mgs4 that im interested in.  but for now, im basicly waiting for mass effect, and ninja gaiden 2.

as for wii, im not a fan of the controls, and i don't want to buy a $250 snes when i have a zsnes right here on the pc.  i may get one in the future, but im kind of turned off by the system right now.

till then, lan diablo 2, can't seem to get enough of it.

</opinion>

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 10:04:40 AM »
And yes, the joysticks on the PS2 controllers are lame, I will give microsoft a point for having excellent controllers.

In cases where I do use a gamepad on my PC (mainly for X2 and X3) I use a wired 360 controller.  I haven't found a better one yet. :D

(That's one issue that nintendo needs to work on, bot the GC and N64 controllers got a lot of joystick fatigue. Most of my GC controllers are fucked due to joystick issues of one sort or another.)

That's kind of odd.  My friend and I both put our GameCube controllers through a LOT of abuse and neither one of us have joystick problems or problems of any kind.  You're totally right about the N64 ones, though, those joysticks kind of suck.  When I bought mine I was lucky enough to get a controller that clearly hasn't been used much.

Now as far as PS2 controllers go, I have two of them that are missing critical functionality (one has a near-dead X button and the other has flaky trigger buttons and a totally dead motor) despite being used significantly less and treated quite a lot better.  That makes a whole lot of sense. :/  I'm glad I don't use my PS2 for anything other than Bemani for the most part.  I don't think my replacement controllers would be able to handle getting held for more than five minutes.

K-Mann

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 12:43:20 PM »
360 gamertag = Kraezymann. Feel free to add me

I'm just a simple gamer, so I pick up games that are appealing to me, with no thought of "pwning the shit outta does fags." I play to have a good time.

With the older consoles, every experience I had with my Xbox were great. Everyone with a PS2 however, weren't. Alot of it was just coincidence mind you; there were always a couple games where when I played, it just sucked. This is not to say that the PS2 sucks. Its a really nice little console, and when I discovered that it houses my favorite bemani games, I was stoked.

So I got the 360. I chose it because I thought it was the most appealing. I'm happy as a pig in shit with this thing.I've only got a few games, but I love them. A friend of mine owns a PS3 and he's all "360 is gay!" but when I go over, the controllers aren't the best, and its slightly noisier than my 360. Not to mention its bigger than a tank.

My 360 is pretty awesome, no doubt about it. Plus it looks pretty, I got the Halo Edition :)