Author Topic: Fallout 4  (Read 15063 times)

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
Fallout 4
« on: November 09, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »
Anyone besides me getting it tonight?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
Nah. Too many other games on my plate right now.

Besides, I always give Bethesda games about a year. That gives them enough time to make all of the DLC (and sell it in a GOTY bundle for less money) and fix all of the bugs. On top of that, the community also has time to roll out unofficial patches (and make some killer graphical mods).

Now if it were a new Elder Scrolls game, that might have been a different story. Oh well, maybe in a few years.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
I didn't plan on it, but, seen a deal with ps4 bundle + fallout 4. So that should arrive sometime late this week/early next week. In the meantime, playing the starcraft 2 legacy of the void when it drops in about 6 hours of this post.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:14:32 PM »
Nah. Too many other games on my plate right now.

Besides, I always give Bethesda games about a year. That gives them enough time to make all of the DLC (and sell it in a GOTY bundle for less money) and fix all of the bugs. On top of that, the community also has time to roll out unofficial patches (and make some killer graphical mods).

Now if it were a new Elder Scrolls game, that might have been a different story. Oh well, maybe in a few years.

I don't blame you one. Single. Bit. Very wise.

I didn't plan on it, but, seen a deal with ps4 bundle + fallout 4. So that should arrive sometime late this week/early next week. In the meantime, playing the starcraft 2 legacy of the void when it drops in about 6 hours of this post.

I'm trying to convince my GF to start SC2 with me soon. I've way overdue. Thinking about getting us both the Battlechest from the OG to start her off and see if that gets her interested. We just had a big SC2 tourney here in Atlanta in light of the WCS too. Those Koreans....smh.

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 10:53:12 AM »
I love Fallout. Bugs and all. Bought it last night, got out of the vault and to the first settlement before I had to go to bed.  I'm going on a marathon tonight because I don't have work tomorrow.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Can't wait to get into crafting/settlement building/engineering etc. Fun funfun funfun
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:50:59 PM »
I saw some gameplay footage and I do love what I see. Hnnnng.

I think I'm still going to wait. Between Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3, I think I've learned my lesson about buying Bethesda titles early. I freaking love those guys (they're easily my favorite AAA developer simply because they don't do the typical industry bullshit that everyone else does), but the type of games that they specialize in are almost impossible to get 100% right out the gate.

Honestly, though, I might just fork up the $60 on my next paycheck to support them, then just wait for a few patches. I normally don't jump at the chance to throw money at companies, but it's hard to find companies like Bethesda anymore, sadly. Just the fact that FO4 doesn't have microtransaction is, sadly, a reason to celebrate.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:23:41 PM »
I'm trying to convince my GF to start SC2 with me soon. I've way overdue. Thinking about getting us both the Battlechest from the OG to start her off and see if that gets her interested. We just had a big SC2 tourney here in Atlanta in light of the WCS too. Those Koreans....smh.

I had just got done playing a few hours of the new co-op mode, and I will say that for something I didn't even know was going to be in the game until a few weeks ago, it's pretty freakin fun. I'd say co-op mode alone is a good enough reason for a new player to hop in.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
I had just got done playing a few hours of the new co-op mode, and I will say that for something I didn't even know was going to be in the game until a few weeks ago, it's pretty freakin fun. I'd say co-op mode alone is a good enough reason for a new player to hop in.

That is perfect. We're always looking for good co-op.

14 hours into FO4 and I am in love with it. No bugs at all that I've run into. FPS hasn't dropped below 50 fps and generally stays steady 60 max settings which I didn't expect on my 770. It's superior to FO3 in every way I really don't understand the negative feedback, though most negative reviews are raging over the graphics. Really, they aren't THAT bad.

Brotherhood of Steel making their first entrance.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:11:09 AM by Zephlar »

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 01:12:28 AM »
I think a lot of people are giving knee jerk negative reviews because.. well computers are fucking finicky and everyone has a different rig. It's highly improbable to test for all these extra variables down to what services are running on someone's machine. Anything can make a game crash. Especially a game as huge as FO4..

I had crashing issues (only 5 ish mins of gameplay), and ended up rolling back my nVidia driver  and doing a clean install of it. Fixed it instantly. Running 100% smoothly and loving it

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 03:17:01 AM »
Not to mention that the quality of GPU drivers have been tanking lately, both on Team Red and Team Green. It's like a very bad throwback to 1997 where you need multiple driver versions in order to run all of your games. It's funny, I switched away from AMD partially because their drivers were getting kinda shaky, only for NVIDIA's quality to drop within a year. SLI certainly doesn't help matters, but I was having many of the same issues with a single GTX 680: periodic GPU driver crashes (which is a ROYAL pain in the ass when you're using HDMI audio, believe me). It only happens on certain games, but it does love to bite you in the ass. I don't know anyone with a newer NVIDIA card that doesn't have those from time to time. Assuming they haven't fixed this issue, try playing Metro 2033: Redux (I assume Metro Last Light: Redux, and possibly even the base Metro Last Light, have the same issues) with GPU PhysX. Enjoy the random black screens of frustration! If you're lucky you won't have to reboot your computer. The solution? Disable hardware PhysX.

Yeah.

With SLI enabled I find that it handles intense titles far better than older titles. I've never had a crash during FC4 or Crysis 3, but apparently my cards got so bored by the Mass Effect series that they would randomly crash the driver just so that something interesting would happen (i.e. they would listen to my frustrated wails via my headset mic). I had to disable SLI when I was playing through that series to resolve that (not that it mattered much, honestly; I'll bet my laptop's GTX 765m could render those games at 4K without breaking a sweat).

AMD, on the other hand, has really weird compatibility workarounds that cause things to break horribly. If you have a system with an AMD card, go ahead and try to play Wolfenstein: The New Order. I'll bet you get a whopping 10fps (unless they fixed that, and I highly doubt that they did). Now rename the executable and launch it again. Now it's suddenly playable! It's like magic only a whole hell of a lot more arcane. Driver crashes are less common, but they still occurred on my old HD 5830 from time to time (and far more frequently on my cousin's old HD 6750).

Ugh. BUT ANYWAY.

I do have to begrudgingly admit that Bethesda does have to take some of the fall for the gameplay bugs at the very least. They try so damn hard, but with a game of their usual scale it's impossible to iron them all out. That being said, I don't understand how people don't realize that by this point! Like I said before, I always wait a year for Bethesda titles for that very reason.

And honestly, I'm considering waiting at least a month or two after every AAA title just so that the driver situation can calm down a bit. That also gives me plenty of time to wait for the TotalBiscuits and Jim Sterlings of the world to play them and bash the port quality (if applicable).

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 01:25:05 AM »

Haven't got the game yet, should have it tomorrow, but I wanted to get a starting stat build set so I'm good to go when I'm playing. I play these games stealthy, so, working with that. Looks fairly good so far, may need to look at the perk chart to see if I want to modify it any. First thing I'll do is probably get agi to 7 so I have access to ninja, otherwise grab all perks I want and then work on str 6 for strong back, and then maybe boost up endurance so I won't die all the time after all the major stuff is taken care of.

*edit*

Thinking about probably lowering agi to 3, and raising luck to 5 for idiot savant.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:59:22 AM by vladgd »

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 11:07:30 AM »
I've had some issues with my nVidia drivers for sure - I found that if/when my game doesn't start (crashes on initial load after launcher), my solution is to use DDU and do a safe mode clean reinstall of the most recent gfx driver

I have no idea what FO4 and nVidia are clashing on.. so much for a "game ready" driver.. I can tell not a lot of testing went into that one. I'm sure they'll patch it eventually and at least I have a fix now.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 01:53:10 PM »
I've had some issues with my nVidia drivers for sure - I found that if/when my game doesn't start (crashes on initial load after launcher), my solution is to use DDU and do a safe mode clean reinstall of the most recent gfx driver

I have no idea what FO4 and nVidia are clashing on.. so much for a "game ready" driver.. I can tell not a lot of testing went into that one. I'm sure they'll patch it eventually and at least I have a fix now.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear that. I have the most recent Nvidia driver released on 11/9 and haven't had any crashes/bugs so far. Which card are you using?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 04:00:10 AM »

Yeah, I definitely avoid installing those if I can help it. I ended up installing the "game ready" driver for GTA5 and it actually dropped performance pretty significantly on my rig for...GTA5. I went from a consistent 60+ to having periodic drops to 45-50. I ended up reverting to a previous driver and everything was fine. So...I guess give that a shot!

Failing that, sometimes PhysX can do some funky things. Try changing which card is handling PhysX (I remember you mentioning at one point that you had two cards) and, if all else fails, try having your CPU handle it.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 05:31:43 PM »
Idiot Savant + save scum = two levels for a quest turnin.

Ohh, beautiful. Only 400xp for that quest? Ninja? How bout you take that times FIVE and turn that into a 2000xp quest, THATS WHAT IM TALKIN BOUT!