Author Topic: skylake build (good lord)  (Read 6786 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: skylake build (good lord)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 02:02:41 AM »
I have a Skylake build specced out for a bit later this year (right now my venerable i7-3770 is starting to become a bottleneck). ;D Mine's in the mid $800's at this time, since I have no plans to replace my case and PSU, though I did add a PCI-E m.2 SSD, because holy fuck those things are fast.

The only thing I'd watch out for with the mobo that you specced is the Creative sound that it has. In my experience, Creative couldn't write a good driver to save their life. Owning an X-Fi was easily one of the worst experiences I'd ever had. If you have the option of just using it as a generic HD Audio device, I'd probably do that.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 12:18:21 PM »
For audio, I use an external sound card via USB anyway (Traktor Audio2DJ)

This was just to price out how much it would be to be 'on top' of tech for once. lol now that I already have a very well functioning tower, I am fine spreading out the purchases for the skylake build.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »
Yeah, I should have figured you would. :P I have all of my audio gear on a different system, so the sound chipset is one of the things that I tend to look at (since I don't plan to use HDMI audio forever).

At least DDR4 is coming down pretty quickly. I priced out a DDR4-based system earlier this year (I believe it was based around the i7-5xxx series CPUs) and 16GB of RAM cost as much as the CPU and mobo, combined!

One of my main motivations for me when it comes to jumping on the Skylake train is to finally get myself a K-series i7. The i7-3770 is a nice CPU, but the multiplier lock kinda hurts the team (if I would have gotten the i7-3770K I probably wouldn't even consider upgrading yet). I'm not quite as crazy about bumping the BCLK/Vcore nowadays due to the sheer number of things that can fry...like the memory controller.

But hey, it'll be a nice upgrade for my dad. :P He loves upgrade season as much as I do for some reason.

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 05:37:04 PM »
holy shit amazon has the FX-8350 for $128, that's the lowest I've seen it.. gonna pull the trigger on that.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 06:33:59 PM »
Ehh...I dunno, I'm not really cool with how AMD tries to pretend that their processors are true octacores. :/ Their half-cores really aren't much better than hyperthreading (and, in Bulldozer's case, they're far, far worse, especially since it showed that they learned literally absolutely nothing from the Pentium 4 debacle) and their single-core performance isn't too spectacular.

That said, I'd definitely consider getting something like that for a light gaming rig (like the mini-ITX build that I'm planning) or a general system. With the way that a lot of games rely on scripting systems that absolutely cannot be multithreaded (such as any game that uses Lua scripting) I can't see myself shooting for anything less than a fast i5 on a gaming rig, personally.

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 07:47:17 PM »
I mainly wanted the extra cores and better design for Twitch streaming. I can get away with 720p 30fps just fine but it could be more stable for sure. Plus I would like to play music on the stream as well and that takes some power too.

This upgrade (which now, just a few hours after I caught it at $128, is now up to $177) is mainly to give me a nice little bump in overall performance, and the ability to stream more reliably and smoothly.  I'm a fan of AMD, and this being my main rig for gaming and everything else can do Witcher 3 on high, or very high with a slight OC on MSI afterburner and similar performance for all new games. 

I've never had Intel because I simply couldn't afford it. But now I can, so I made that a goal with the above system which will simply demolish anything in it's way

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 12:52:11 AM »
Oh yeah, I'd say that chip is definitely worth $128. I'm just not too crazy about AMD marketing half-cores as full cores. It just feels kinda...shady to me, I guess, especially since they have a hard time beating a hyperthreaded quad-core part from Intel running at a lower clock speed in both single- and multi-threaded workloads. I'm also very disappointed that AMD didn't learn that deep pipelines are bad news when it comes to CPUs, but at least they seem to be slowly recovering from that (everything after Bulldozer has been a marked improvement).

That said, AMD definitely still has my vote for a good mid-range CPU. It seems to me like the i3 pretty much took over the low-end, as they're usually available for the same price as roughly equivalent AMDs and typically have a performance advantage, but the i5 is still too pricey for mid-range. The i5 feels kind of redundant to me at this point outside of certain special applications (for example, the ULV i5 that they use in the Surface Pro 3 and similar systems is basically the perfect chip; the i3 wastes battery by being too slow and the i7 wastes battery by being too fast...and will burn your hand).

I'll have to start a thread for my mini-ITX build after I nail down some specs. It's mostly going to be a DDR/StepMania system, so I'm aiming to build something relatively cheap. Probably just going to stick with an i3 with Intel graphics running Gentoo. I was initially investigating a low-end AMD APU, but from what I've seen and heard, Intel GPUs typically outperform those. Must investigate further!

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 06:27:56 PM »
I need a new cooler for this 8350 :(

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »
Oh, did they sell you an OEM part with no included heatsink/fan assembly? I hate when that happens.

Regardless of the reason, I think you can use a bit of ZALMAN in your life: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118075

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 01:54:54 AM »
lol no i have a zalman already, a different model though. I meant i may need to upgrade since i'm idling at 50c now instead of my previous 40c. Thermal paste reapplied several times with the same result

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 03:17:37 PM »
That's a little high even by stock cooler standards (I have an i7-3770 with a stock cooler and it idles at around 35°C). I'd make sure that nothing is running in the background that might be pushing up the clock speed and voltages. Windows has a nasty tendency of randomly doing full virus scans and things like that if you make the mistake of even looking away from the screen for more than a second.

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 10:18:21 PM »
Oh man GTA V works flawlessly on my new CPU. Wow.  No crashes either after my reformat. Nothing feels quite like a fresh install of windows..

Next up, ssd.

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »
priced up 4 months later,

$1393.82. not bad! lol

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jxMbNG