Author Topic: Suggested parts for a new PC  (Read 9307 times)

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
Suggested parts for a new PC
« on: June 08, 2016, 12:19:08 AM »
I'm planning on buying a new PC soon and just wanted your guys' input on what parts I should toss in it. I obviously want the biggest bang for my buck. Planning on getting a gaming setup where I can run almost any game on max graphics with a constant 60+fps with absolutely NO problems or lag issues. What would you guys suggest?
All I was thinking of getting was that gtx 980 titan gfx card with 16GB ram and I've heard something about these SSD's but I don't know much about them.
Hopin' you guys can enlighten me on a full system build with specific parts and pricing so I know what I'm lookin' at paying. My budget would be around $2000 or so. The cheaper the better though.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Suggested parts for a new PC
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
I'm in the middle of a few things, so here's some scattered thoughts:

I would skip the GTX 980 and jump right up to the GTX 1080. The 1080 totally blows the 980 series out of the water, Titan included. I've got a pair of GTX 980s and can run anything that isn't programmed like complete ass at a locked 60fps at 1080p, and several games (Far Cry 4, MGS5, and several others) will hold 60fps at 4K, and in some workloads a single 1080 is more powerful than that. Additionally, the GTX 1080 comes standard with 8GB of RAM while the 980 comes with 4GB.

The Titan may seem like a better deal initially since it ships with 12GB of VRAM (some may ship with 16), but you'd be giving up a lot of power for that extra 4GB (my twin 980s easily beat a Titan X...a 1080 would destroy it). 4GB of VRAM is generally fine currently, so 8GB will last you a couple of years. By the time 8GB begins to become inadequate, you're going to want to replace the card anyway.

As far as the CPU goes, a Skylake-based Core i7 is your best bet. Quad core is fine, hex is even better if it's in your budget. Thanks to both major consoles having six usable cores, developers are embracing multithreading more than ever before, so getting more cores would be good for futureproofing.

As far as SSDs go, if you can afford it I would get a fast NVMe SSD. Those are incredibly bloody fast, but the downside is the price. The next step down would be a smaller NVMe SSD (say 128GB-256GB) and use it as an OS drive, then get a Samsung 850 EVO 6Gb/s SATA SSD for your games. Next step down would be a large Samsung SATA SSD (and that's still a damn good drive, and they're getting fairly cheap nowadays).

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.
"This is a machine for making cows."

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 10:55:59 PM »
The GTX 1080? When does it release? I thought it wasn't out yet...?
Also, for the SSD's, I heard it would be good to run a smaller SSD for my operating system and just get a normal 1TB Sata drive for my games and stuff....Not sure what would be best for me with my budget and what not.
Also, what would be the best type of ram for me to get?

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:59:25 PM »
And also, when you say Skylake-based Core i7, are you referring to something like this?
http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz
Or is there something better for roughly the same price?
Would be good if you were able to show me direct links to the parts/pricing so I could budget it all in and go from there :D
Thanks a bunch for all your help.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
Oh yes, the 1080 is out, and it's glorious. :D

I'd highly, highly recommend using an SSD drive for gaming. The thing that convinced me was seeing a little MacBook Air load WoW significantly faster than my gaming rig. We're talking under 10 seconds to hop into Orgrimmar (SSD) vs 40+ (HDD), and my old MBA's specs were pretty wimpy (it was a 2010 11" laptop, after all). with games getting larger and larger, you're bound to spend as much time loading them as you are playing them if you use a traditional hard drive.

I would still suggest getting a traditional HDD for storage and for relatively tiny games (or ones like StepMania, where the load times between songs are insignificant). I'm currently using 3 SSDs (1 x 180GB Intel 530 for my OS, 1 x 500GB Samsung 840EVO, 1 x 500GB Sansung 850EVO) and two HDDs (2 x 2TB WD Blacks, mirrored for read performance and data redundancy) and it works quite well for me.

And yeah, the Skylake i7s are the 6XXX series parts. I'd go with the K parts (like the one you linked) as they're a bit more overclock friendly, should you want to pursue that option. You could probably save a bit of cash if you went with a Haswell (4xxx) part with DDR3 RAM. The CPU honestly doesn't matter nearly as much. I'm on an older Ivy Bridge i7 (i7-3770) and it's only now just starting to show its age after around three years.

You're still in the Philippines, right? Any idea which place you'd be ordering from so that I can hook you up with the appropriate links?

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »
Well honestly, I'll be in Korea at the time of purchase, so if you could find decent priced places in Korea (Gwang-Ju or Goheung City) that would be awesome.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 09:48:45 AM »
And as for the HDD, I'd rather stick with 1 big drive for everything, makes things a lot less complicated hahaha. Is there a decently priced 750/1tb SSD available currently?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 09:10:21 AM »
I'll see what I can do! No promises, though. I kinda can't read Korean. :P I'll try to at least get you a list, though.

Also, just to be sure, your budget is $2000 in red maple leafed Canadian currency, correct?

And yeah, 1TB SSDs are getting reasonably cheap. Getting two 500GBs is still a little bit cheaper, but it's not at the level of disparity that it used to be at. When I bought my last SSD, the 500GB was $200 and the 1TB was around $700. Now it's more like $150 for 500GB and $350 for 1TB for a decent brand and model.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 06:50:02 AM »
Ah ok, right on. I thought the prices of the SSD's were still insanely high. Thats not too bad at all then. And yes, $2000 Canadian. We've actually converted our currency from the red maple leafs to petrified beaver tails. :)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 01:55:16 AM »
Apparently beaver tails aren't worth as much as maple leaves, as CAD$2000 converts to USD$1550. Ouch! When did the value of the Canadian dollar drop that much? O.o Last time I checked (which, granted, was a while ago) they were pretty close.

Anyway, I'll do some research tomorrow and try to get back with you soon. I always keep a shopping list handy with a bunch of current-gen parts for when upgrade season rolls around, so I'll probably update that at the same time. ;)

Also, what are you running now (just in case some of your old parts can be recycled)? If you're unsure, just generate a Speccy report and send it to me at spectere at gmail dot com (it might have some personal info, so I wouldn't upload it anywhere public).

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 08:08:35 AM »
Hahhaa. Yeah, the Canadian dollar has gone WAY down in value since 2015. It sucks. As for my current specs, it's a laptop. And honestly, it's going to absolute shit. But it's a core i5 1.7gig with 6gig ram and a gtx 635m gfx card. For some reason, It runs everything like absolute shit. I even have a hard time running League of Legends on low graphics. Sometimes it goes down to like 19-35fps.
For some reason it runs really hot and I'm not sure why. I took it to a PC shop and got the heatsync re-glued, but that did nothing. Any suggestions on how to get this thing running faster like it used to?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 04:45:00 AM »
the canadian dollar dropped a while ago and is kinda sorta struggling to recover right now.

Also, is it bad I feel jealous of that laptop? I'm running an i3-3120m @ 2.5, 4gb of ram and onboard graphics.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 08:50:07 AM »
Damn, that's an old one eh. My laptop is about 4 years old now and I really need to upgrade lol.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 04:41:03 AM »
Honestly, this thing still works well for browsing the web, watching videos, and your standard daily use that isn't video games. I'm just getting tired of not being able to play most games at anything approaching a reasonable framerate lol.

EDIT: Battery is completely dead :/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:23:14 PM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »
Yeah, if there's no wyay for me to improve the performance of this laptop, itll just be used for movies, tv shows and storage. But hopefully I can figure a way to get it back to as good as it used to be,