Author Topic: 7 Days to Die  (Read 4410 times)

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
7 Days to Die
« on: May 12, 2017, 08:39:19 AM »
Anyone try this yet? I've been addicted since I bought it about a month ago. Apparently being late to the party was a good thing with the current build being so far ahead of console.

First game in my adult life that I can remember that actually makes me jump out of my seat and scares the shit out of me.

Clearly a play on Minecraft but with Zombies. Any game that gives creative freedom I tend to love so I may be biased a bit. It's probably going to suffer the same fate of being in Alpha forever but it doesn't feel like an Alpha build at all.

It goes on sale for under $5 here and there. Would love someone to play with.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: 7 Days to Die
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
I played an extremely early alpha of this. It showed promise, but the version I played was extremely rough around the edges.

I've been meaning to revisit it for a while, but my backlog is pretty packed at the moment.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »
I played an extremely early alpha of this. It showed promise, but the version I played was extremely rough around the edges.

I've been meaning to revisit it for a while, but my backlog is pretty packed at the moment.

So many games, so little time.

Do you remember the build you played on? Alpha 16 is a HUGE update scheduled to release in the next month or two. Lots of great additions coming up.

Dev Blog:
Spawn and AI improvements
* Create new volume based Sleeper system and sleeper helper points (confirmed for A16)
* Bloodmoon, Dynamic and Sleeper spawns all use partying and dynamic difficulty game stages (confirmed for A16)
* Player stealth improvements (confirmed for A16)

Electricity
* Craft generators, solar panels, or use battery banks to power electric devices (confirmed for A16)
* New powered traps that chop zombies, burn them, and more (confirmed for A16)
* Run wire from power sources to switches, relays, pressure plates, and appliances (confirmed for A16)
* New wire tool will attach and cut wire (confirmed for A16)

Blocks and Building
*Jail Cell door (confirmed for A16)
*Iron Bar block with outside, center, and inside edge rotations (confirmed for A16)
*Outside corner stairs (confirmed for A16)
*Unified block system which allows for 24 rotations and texture alignment between blocks (confirmed for A16)
*Painting tool that will allow for multiple textures and colors for greater building variety (confirmed for A16)
*Bulletproof Glass (confirmed for A16)
*Rain Gutters (confirmed for A16)
*3d Ladders (confirmed for A16)

Items, Traps, Weapons
*Flame Thrower trap (Might be post launch A16)
*Spinning Blade trap (confirmed for A16)
*Arrow trap (confirmed for A16)
*Molotov Cocktail (confirmed for A16)
*Compound Bow (confirmed for A16)
*Auto Turrets (confirmed for A16)

More Character options.
*New beards (confirmed for A16)
*More hair styles (confirmed for A16)
*New clothing (confirmed for A16)

New and redone animals:
*Replace bears (confirmed for A16)
*Replace Pig (Might be post launch A16)
*Replace hornet with zombie vulture (confirmed for A16)
*Add snakes to desert and plains (confirmed for A16)
*Add wolves to appropriate areas. (confirmed for A16)

Improved crops
*Potatoes and other 2d card crops need real 3d versions (Might be post launch A16)

Game Controls Improvements
*100% Gamepad controller support (confirmed for A16)
*In Menu Hotkeys for scrap, wear, drop, craft, etc. (confirmed for A16)

Redo main menu
*Replace old legacy menu with an updated smoother flowing one. (Might be post launch A16)
*Clean up old options (Might be post launch A16)
*Add new dead is dead mode (Might be post launch A16)
*Add Zombies run during the day and walk at night option (Might be post launch A16)

New zombies
*Fat Hawaiian Shirt zombie is back (Confirmed for A16)
*Feral versions of every zombie that have more hp, hit harder, and run during the day (confirmed for A16)
*Radioactive zombies that heal over time (Might be post launch A16)
*Various UMA zombies coverted to handmade (confirmed for A16)

World Generation
*Distant Terrain 2.0 featuring distant POI's (confirmed for A16)
*Socket System for POI's and cities that mesh more naturally with the terrain (confirmed for A16)
*City districts for more organic city layouts with industrial, commercial, and residential zoning (confirmed for A16)
*Enhanced world previewer using the new LOD models of POI's (confirmed for A16)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 08:10:38 PM »
The last one I played was A4. So yeah, pretty much version BC, haha.

Like, pretty much none of the stuff you mentioned were even close to being implemented at the time.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 05:27:59 PM »
The last one I played was A4. So yeah, pretty much version BC, haha.

Like, pretty much none of the stuff you mentioned were even close to being implemented at the time.

Daaaaamn that is seriously old school. I'm sure it's a different game at this point in comparison. I have a "beginners" server online 24/7 if you ever want to join. My fiance is not fond of a "challenge" and just wants to have fun without dying a lot so that's pretty much what we play at the moment.

I gotta give them credit for consistently putting out content though. They seem to have come a long way.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:01:13 AM »
For the record Alpha 16 dropped this weekend. There is SO much to this game since you played it last man. You should really give it another go. This latest update added so much to the game.

Since new Alpha dropped have to start a new game. This is my new home, a prefab house I found. It's right outside a big city but still out in the woods. Planted lots of pines an golden rods to make a path. Have a bitchin garden out back and a mine down to bedrock inside.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
It definitely looks way better than when I last played. It looks like it's shaping up to be the definitive zombie survival game--doesn't seem like anything else really comes close at this point.

Unfortunately, I've got a lot on my plate at the moment (various other hobbies, not to mention a number of games that are in front of it in my queue). At this rate it'll be out of early access by the time I get back to it. :P

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 12:21:33 PM »
No worries. Pretty sure it'll be forever in Alpha anyway. Although hey look at Ark. Who knew it was possible?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »
Apparently ARK is still a glitchy mess, though, and the fact that they want $60 for it now is pretty absurd.

Hopefully 7DtD's final release (if it happens :P) is a bit more graceful.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »
Apparently ARK is still a glitchy mess, though, and the fact that they want $60 for it now is pretty absurd.

Hopefully 7DtD's final release (if it happens :P) is a bit more graceful.

I bought Ark during the summer sale (glad I got it before the hike), and from what I've gathered (har) it does still have it's issues for sure. Doesn't seem to be optimized well graphically and the interface is....childish? Not really sure what other word to use there by the text and navigation are really rough IMO.

A full $60 price tag seems a bit absurd absolutely. The sale of DLC in beta should speak  volumes about their business practices though.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »
Yeah, I ended up getting ARK for something like $15? I dunno. Given the type of game I think that the $30-40 range is reasonable, but considering how "well" it runs, and the major issues that it has, $60 is just stupid. And yeah, the performance issues are pretty bad as well. The first time I tried running it, I couldn't even hit 15fps at 720p on a GTX 980 with the lowest settings, and I think the 980 was still top of the line at the time. It's far better than that now but it still hitches quite a lot, despite my system presenting no apparent bottleneck.

I forgot about them selling DLC during beta. At least they had the decency to make that part of the $60 entry fee, but that definitely doesn't excuse their scummy practices.

Tripwire did the same thing, which is one of the main reasons that I don't recommend Killing Floor 2. They pumped the game full of paid DLC long before it left early access and took them months to fix common, annoying bugs (this is after bragging about how KF2 was "early access done right"--yeah, no).