Author Topic: (Hopefully the Last) Server Migration  (Read 10775 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
(Hopefully the Last) Server Migration
« on: July 28, 2017, 02:33:13 PM »
Here's the plan moving forward: I'm going to leave freyr there and powered off for the time being. All of the current s.net services are now being provided by kvasir (aside from sending e-mail via PHP--that miiiiight not work right now, and setting up e-mail servers is the epitome of unfun), and Linode backups are configured just in case something severely breaks.

I'm going to cancel freyr's backups by week's end. By next week, I will be deleting it completely. s.net's systemd era will be over, permanently. May our uptimes be long and my headaches mild!

Original Post
Okay folks, this should hopefully be the last one.

Anyway, because I'm sick and tired of babysitting systemd and I want to move back to a familiar distro that doesn't use it, I'm spinning up another web server that's running Gentoo. That's mostly because while my web server barely manages a month of uptime (on Debian--Arch was far worse) my game server--running Gentoo/OpenRC--has over a year of uptime (406 days, as of this writing).

The new server, kvasir.spectere.net, will be replacing the current one within a week. I'm not entirely sure of the exact timeframe, but I'd like to make the split as soon as possible, since the sooner I can get everything off of freyr the sooner I'll be able to stop paying for it. :)

This switch is also going to herald the return to Apache, though it will be using the event MPM with PHP-FPM instead of prefork/mod_php (which is what was being used when freyr was running on Arch). Basically, this will give one of the main advantages of nginx (greasy fast speed) with the Apache features that a lot of PHP applications depend on (namely, mod_rewrite and .htaccess). I've begrudgingly accepted that if I want to start blogging again that Wordpress is going to be the best choice for me with regards to feature set, and installing WP on anything but Apache is a seriously bad idea.

Ideally, the switch-over will come and go, and nobody will really notice. If there are any issues, though, feel free to badger me relentlessly on Twitter,@Spectere. Not much should really change from a user perspective, though friendly URLs will be back!

I will be basing this off of a fresh SMF install with the existing database migrated. The SMF install that we're currently running has been around the block a few dozen times, so I think it'll be a good idea to have a clean break. I've also been considering doing a forum cleanup, as there are a few sections that simply aren't used anymore, so that might happen around the same time since I'll already be in maintenance mode.

Any questions, lads and lasses?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:55:18 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: (Hopefully the Last) Server Migration
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:41:14 PM »
The move is going to happen Soon(TM). Everything's pretty much set up from a software perspective, I just need to shut everything down and migrate the data over. I'm thinking I might do that between 11:00PM and 12:00AM, Eastern Standard Time.

Edit: DNS TTLs are set to 5 minutes. That should make it so that the DNS update happens pretty quickly (so you won't get shunted to the old server or, more likely, get a "couldn't connect to server omgwtfbbq" message out of nowhere).

Edit2: Meh, I'll do it tomorrow. Too tired now. :>
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:50:31 PM by Spectere »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 01:03:17 PM »
Hey, look, we're back!

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:37:05 PM »
Welcome back
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 10:33:17 PM »
Hey, thanks!

Also, looks like I forgot to move some files to the new SMF install (custom pips are missing). I'll have to migrate them...soon. :x