Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 35718 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2018, 02:42:35 PM »
How bout that blizzcon eh?

Heh.

My favorite part of it has been the frantic attempts at damage control.

-Need to somehow get a new job that pays roughly what I make at 50 hours, with 40 hours...yeah good luck with that...mister I got no degree.

FWIW, my degree didn't do anything for me aside from put me deeply in debt.

-Group of people to play with who aren't totally bumfuck casual, but also not "unemployed playing all day dedicate your life to the game" hardcore. I like progress, but even a nerd like me has some kind of a life, somehow.

How about "unemployed playing all day yet still bad at the game," like my former guild leader? ;D

In all seriousness, I'd be down for that, at least for a while. I miss the classic guild dynamic, before the days of cross-realm bullshit. I'm pretty good at doing things, too.

For Thrall's Horde!
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2019, 09:21:29 PM »
It's almost time, game installed, gametime added to account, just have to wait till 8/26/19 6pm est

No idea what (PVP) server I'll be rolling on
No idea if I'll change to priest over mage last second
No idea what profs I'll start

Gonna just let it happen, lets get ready boyzzz

Will update with server and whatnot when I'm finally in azeroth. Only things I know is Horde, pvp.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2019, 08:13:52 AM »
Tempting as it is to jump in on launch day, I think I'm going to wait a week and let things simmer down a bit. I've got enough of a backlog, both in terms of gaming and general nerd stuff, to carry me through that.

I should probably get Classic installed on the iMac I have in my workshop (which was actually my main WoW machine from Mists through Legion). It only has a 680MX, but with the new engine running vanilla graphics it should still be able to push medium-high at 1440p. That'll give me something other than IIDX to play while I wait for my lovely machines to poop out plastic. :P

Only things I know is Horde, pvp.

LOK'TAR, OGAR! FOR THE HORDE!

I still haven't decided on a class (heavily leaning toward hunter, that being my first ever class and all), but I'm definitely going to main a Horde toon on a PvE realm. I'll probably dabble with Alliance toons here and there, mostly to experience the early game quests, but my heart will always be with the tauren.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2019, 01:27:33 PM »
Incendius (PvP)

Shalazar, troll mage
Gerald, orc shaman

*edit*
Herod (PvP)

Found my old guild and I needs to roll with them, 17,000th in queue (that is not a typo) lets go!
*edit*

servers up in ~5 hours as of this post, but the new servers came up so I went on the new east coast pvp one.

Shame you're going pve, woulda been nice to have anybody I know irl/online to join me. I just feel pvp server is how the game is meant to be enjoyed in vanilla, and after flying was introduced the very next expansion world pvp died and thus it's a pve game.

I do want to make my alliance alt a dwarf priest, so if i'm feeling it maybe i'd do pve with that character...with the exception "priests melt face in pvp" kinda make me wanna do pvp server for that character as well...

If anything it's more authentic going into the game solo with no connections, it's how I originally played the game, and all the friends I had who played played on completely different servers. We'd talk about the game, but never play with eachother, with exception of the few times we physically lanned the game at my house and played up to deadmines, that was a good time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 06:31:19 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2019, 12:18:15 PM »
Yeah, I tend to just prefer a more relaxed experience. I tried leveling on PvP realms and I always ended up annoyed. I think I ended up with exactly one reasonable PvP encounter with an evenly matched opponent. Every other time I just wound up getting ganked by someone twice my level and it just made me not even want to bother playing.

I've done consensual PvP before—city attacks and BGs. I don't mind that so much because it's generally done on fairly even terms.

Speaking of PvP, did they bring back DHKs? Heh.

And yeah, definitely agreed with diving in solo. Nothing is going to bring back the feeling of coming in as a new player with very little idea of what I'm doing, but I think enough time has passed that the classic quest lines are going to feel fresh again.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2019, 05:31:46 PM »
I mean pvp probably isn't for you the way you word it.

"evenly matched opponent"

That ain't world pvp. World pvp is gangsta, running up on some fool and blasting him. Then he gets his friends, and could ignite a war. Evenly matched pvp is what I believe arenas to be in TBC. World pvp is kinda just fun for the sake of fun, not because you get a prize for doing it, and that's kinda why I like it. Also has certain advantages like in pve server, an opposite faction is up in your farming area, you can't do nothing to him. Pvp you can get a few guildies and "persuade them to farm elsewhere", and I like it.

Not to mention the feeling of being in a contested area actually feels like being in a contested area, pve it's no different than being in alliance or horde territory.

BUT THATS JUST MY 2 copper pieces.

I am totally eating my words on the diving in solo because 10 minutes before launch I seen the remains of my old guild still going at it, so I have that double nostalgia factor of playing with the same guys in 2019 as I did in 2005. Guild aint formed yet because nobody can get in game(6+ hour long queues)...but when it do, it do.

Hey when you are in, game plays great. I got up to level 12 with the mage and im running like 20ms (which feels great to me) and everything feels smooth. Even people forming actual queues for certain quest items, it's weird, but people are communicating and whatnot, it's great.

Down the road after I have a 60 or two under my belt we could roll some throwaway alts to play together, and if anyone else wants in we could get some stuff going. Rolling alts with people is still fun imo. I am not a fan of the hunter class, but in vanilla I rolled a hunter 1-10 with every race in the game, because kiting stuff around was just that fun to me before you get pet. Totally see myself doing it again.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 05:34:40 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2019, 07:54:16 AM »
Yeah, the "friend" thing is where the problem generally lies, haha. I'm pretty much the only person I know who's jumping in on Classic, so the only chance I'd have is begging LocalDefense or a nearby city for help. I've done that before and have gotten results, but I don't have as much free time as I did 12 years ago, so I'll pass.

I think I'm going to really enjoy the latency (or lack thereof). That's one thing that modern WoW is unquestionably better at. I'm honestly pretty impressed that it's holding at 20ms at launch, too. I was around for the WotLK launch and it was, uh. Yeah.

I've had a lot of really good experiences as a hunter when I first started playing, mostly involving soloing group quests at level. Seriously made me feel like the king of the goddamn world. Now that I know what I'm doing I should be able to take on even more of them. That said, I'm kind of tempted to broaden my horizons a bit. While I've played every class up through at least level 20 during BC and WotLK, most of my actual leveling was done in Cata and beyond. I'd kind of like to at least experience mid-game play for some of the other classes.

And hell yeah, let me know when you want to do that.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2019, 01:11:10 AM »
Just got done with my first night on Classic (Azuresong Horde) and...my god. It was amazing.

I mean, let's just throw questing and the actual gameplay aside. That doesn't matter. The thing that blew my mind was how general was filled up with people chatting, coordinating, and reminiscing. It felt like a chatroom full of randos that happened to be attached to a video game. It seriously took me back to a much better time in MMORPG history when the community actually mattered. Everyone was helping one another. Rare spawns would elicit open calls to group rather than people sniping the mob.

A quick "let's play for an hour to get through most of Mulgore" turned into three hours of me only getting to Bloodhoof Village and mostly just chilling with the others. Nobody was in this ungodly hurry to leave, and every time someone did move onto the Barrens there were fond farewell messages.

I think I absolutely fucking love this.

My only regret is that I have to work tomorrow and couldn't continue playing. I'd planned to call it by midnight at the latest. It's currently 1:10AM. I regret nothing.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2019, 01:47:17 PM »
Sounds awesome. The gf and I have been talking about classic, but still haven't actually committed to it.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2019, 09:22:55 PM »
My server has 6 hour queues, so thats my biggest problem right now...

Besides that, when I'm in game, I don't want to stop. Only level 16 right now (would be like 24 if I was playing durring queue times) and I need moar. Bob if you want in on that classic, and you want to be on a poppin server, probably wait a few weeks. Cost of entry is cheap, only the monthly fee, no base game purchase required.

There are lower pop servers with no queue, but only worry about those is if they'll have legs in a few months when playerbase starts to drop.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »
I have a feeling that when the dust settles they're going to start collapsing the realm list.

Plus, from what I've read, their current definition of "medium" population is quite a bit higher than "full" was in vanilla WoW, so being on a smaller realm (by today's standards) will be far more viable than it used to be.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
I'm gonna have to recalibrate my favorite zones list, because I put stonetallon mountains on there.

I think it was due to it being the first real world pvp I experienced, but doing some 1k needles (well under leveled for it, but grouped up with a guy 4 levels higher than me) and I forgot how cool that zone is.

Come to think of it, I never did sfk, or bfd, and I both think sfk is alright, and bfd is the worst instance in the game. It's nice to have a second look at things.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:53:35 PM by vladgd »

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2019, 05:22:52 PM »

I've been playing...A LOT...

Late to the party almost 42 and I just get it, but better late than never. We mounted boyzzzz!

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2019, 08:30:11 AM »
I was lv.42 when I got my first mount in BC. Good times. :)

I need to play Classic more. I've been too busy with other stuff. The only unfortunate thing is that my cow dude is going to be stuck riding kodos (unless I get a PvP mount, but I'm not planning to gun for those), but I suppose I'll live.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2019, 10:38:13 PM »
I joined up in Classic WoW as well. Sulfuras server. Im a little slow on the leveling cause I got my own IRL stuff to deal with, but in the top guild on the server. We have realm first Ragnaros and Onyxia kills. Will be excited once I hit 60.