Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 3342 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Path of Exile
« on: August 07, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »
So, the newest expansion just dropped. I'm definitely liking things so far, although I'm far from hardcore enough to really pass judgement. Anyone else here play PoE?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Path of Exile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:25:13 AM »
I played PoE a few years ago (just checked my e-mail: looks like it was 3 years ago, almost to the day). I really need to get back into it at some point.

Did they ever add a respec option, or are you still pretty much stuck with whatever talents you pick? When I played they had rare items you could get that would let you reassign a single talent point, but if you made a fundamental mistake in how you built your character you'd literally have to reroll. I wasn't particularly crazy about that.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:50 AM »
You get a number of respec points along with passive points (at a 2 respec per 1 passive) for some quests, but there's still no full respec option... Well, there actually is one way to get a full respec. If you have an existing character and they come out with a big patch (like this one) you'll be given a free respec on your passives (in case your build just got nerfed all to hell). But yeah, PoE is still mostly about "fucked up that toon? roll another".

But on the plus side, they completely rewrote their netcode, so now if you have decent internet you can play lockstep with the server, so no desync. And even if you have to play predictive still, they reduced the number of code paths that can cause desync a huge amount (most of that came from rewriting stuff to work with lockstep).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:50:38 AM »
Ugghhhhh. Given that it's a free game I honestly wouldn't mind paying for a set of full respec tokens or something like that (or locking that ability behind a reasonable subscription cost). I mean, even Diablo 2 added limited full respecs in one of the more recent patches. At least it sounds like PoE gives you more respec points than it used it, but given how mammoth their talent tree is it's baffling that they haven't even seemed to consider that. IMO, all that preventing full respecs does to freely experiment does it make it so that people like me (who have no inclination to reroll characters until I "get it right") just look up cookie cutter specs and use those.

I will have to check out the new netcode, though. I remember the desyncs being so frequent before that I had to macro the resync function to one of my Logitech keyboard's G keys.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:41:38 AM »
Well you can trade for orbs of regret (or pick them up randomly as you play) which give you a respec point, so you CAN fully respec if you have a bit of currency. Honestly, I dont fuck around trying to make my own builds just yet.  I have been following several builds from the forum/youtube videos with varying levels of success. I mostly dont trade though so my builds usually hit a wall near endgame where I just dont have good enough equipment. Still, my laser of firey death is fun (and severely lacking in gear), and so is my flicker strike character.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 04:07:31 AM »
Yeah, that's probably what I'll do if I start playing again (I'm currently still getting my ARPG fix with Grim Dawn). It's a shame that they don't encourage a bit more experimentation, given the size of the talent tree. I guess you can easily make up for little mistakes here and there, but if you wanted to even have a shot at making a custom build you'd have to go in with a damn good idea of what you're doing.