Author Topic: Putting together a pc build  (Read 8367 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Putting together a pc build
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »
Yeah, that's going to be a pretty huge step up, haha.

As far as keyboards go, these are pretty much my thoughts on the different switch types, having extensively used all of the major categories of Cherry MX switches:
  • I've found that MX Red and Black switches are pretty yucky for rhythm games since it can be tough to find the actuation point. Even after using one as a daily driver for a while I never really jived with it. I actually preferred the Apple scissor switch keyboard (though that had its own share of problems, like the aluminum base--whenever you bottom out with any force whatsoever it feels like you're jabbing metal).
  • MX Blues and Greens are wonderfully clicky, but since their reset point is slightly above the actuation point it can take some time getting used to them. Using Blues worked very well, and the audible feedback was welcome.
  • MX Browns and Clears aren't clicky, but they (1) do have a tactile bump and (2) their actuation point and reset point are very close. The tactile bump is subtle, but with some practice you can get a very good feel for when the switch is going to actuate, even when you're, say, playing a fast chart in StepMania.
For me it's a toss-up between Blues and Browns when it comes to rhythm gaming. For general gaming I greatly prefer Browns, so that's what I ultimately went with (currently using a Logitech G710+, which includes o-ring dampeners preinstalled to reduce both noise and strain when bottoming out--a very nice feature, and somewhat unusual to see).
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »
I considered blacks, because I actually didn't want the tactile bump, but the main problem is that the distance to actuation overall is just so much larger than the scissor switch keyboards I'm used to that it just feels so weird. That, and I'm pretty sure I need o rings, because god is that thing loud compared to my laptop.

I definitely got better performance in 4k on jacks, and my accuracy increased, but my overall misscount increased as well. I would have been fine with playing on it for 4k, but in 7k, the keyboard just feels so different, my muscle memory was all fucked up and I just couldn't play anything.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 05:35:37 PM »
Not sure if you've ever used a keyboard with MX Browns/Clears, but the tactile bump--to me--feels a lot like a scissor switch, albeit with less clack. I disliked the MX Blacks so much that I think I was considering going back to a decent rubber dome keyboard before I replaced it with the Logitech (I actually preferred the cheap Logitech keyboard I was using at work at the time--surprisingly crisp action on those things!).

I'm not sure how thick these are, but these o-rings should work nicely: https://www.amazon.ca/120Pcs-Rubber-Dampeners-keyboard-Dampers/dp/B00VHXHP6Q/. It definitely makes a huge difference. In addition to dramatically reducing clack, it also gives the keys a tiny bit of bounce when you bottom out. My work keyboard (WASD CODE Keyboard with MX Clears and Ian-installed o-rings) is actually quieter than some of the rubber dome keyboards we have at the office.

Not sure if the Ducky keyboards come with keycap pullers. If they don't, definitely get one (Amazon link). It'll make things go a lot smoother. If your keyboard uses Costar-style stabilizers on the larger keys (the ones that use metal bars on a plastic hinge), I'm so sorry (and can sympathize). The Cherry-style stabilizers are so much easier to deal with.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 07:33:38 PM »
Yeah, I got a keycap puller. I assume the cherry style ones are additional plungers (like a switch without the switch part)? because that's what I have.

I love how effortless it feels to type on... Except how often I make typos, due to the hilariously low actuation force.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 01:13:55 AM »
Yep, those are the Cherry ones. Believe me, you would have known if you had the Costar ones. That's honestly the thing that my SteelSeries 6Gv2 had over my WASD or Logitech keyboards, haha.

Costar stabilizers also have a nasty tendency to need lubricated every now and again. The backspace key on my work keyboard started squeaking recently. D: