Author Topic: Anyone experienced with streaming?  (Read 6069 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Anyone experienced with streaming?
« on: August 27, 2017, 04:31:29 PM »
I just copied my Osu! install over to my GF's laptop and installed OBS and it seems to be just barely powerful enough to stream, but with my current settings I'm getting a pretty unstable framerate in osu, which makes things much harder to play.

Anyone here know enough about streaming to help me tweak settings and make things easier on me?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Anyone experienced with streaming?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 01:26:25 AM »
What are the specs of her laptop? What settings are you currently using in OBS?

The two most likely possibilities are that OBS is trying to do all of its encoding in hardware and overtaxing the GPU or that it's trying to do everything in software and overtaxing the CPU.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »
i5-6200U with geforce 920M. 12 gb ram.

Originally I was encoding at 4000 kbits, 1066x800 output resolution, 30 fps. On the advice of Staiain, I dropped that to 1500 kbits, 848x480 60 fps. Using QVS encoder.

That really helped, but it's still making a noticeable impact, enough that my scores are definitely still affected.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »
Streaming is really finicky. Adjusting resolution, bitrate, and all the different settings to get the thing to run right and look decent. Trial and error is my experience.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 12:59:56 AM »
That's also an incredibly weak GPU. If you're doing any hardware encoding whatsoever it could be maxing it out. The cores in GPUs nowadays are so generalized (relatively speaking, anyway) that pushing too many compute shaders through them can negatively impact graphical performance.

Try running something like MSI Afterburner while you stream so that you can get an idea of what your CPU/GPU utilization looks like. Also, try dropping the resolution of your laptop if you can. Even though you're outputting 480p, OBS is processing the full-resolution framebuffer and downscaling it.

The nuclear option (which you might have to do, honestly) would be getting an external capture device and letting another computer handle the streaming bit.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 07:12:15 PM »
Its a damn shame your hdmi out port cant handle input to the laptop screen, or I'd already be using a 2 system setup. I mean, im gonna be buying that pc sometime in the near future which will easily handle streaming o!m so once that happens this will be a non-issue. I was just hoping there were maybe some buried options somewhere I could fiddle with.

Ill grab afterburner and check things there.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 10:05:35 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately there's usually no silver bullet, and due to the way that different games use your system it's entirely possible that two games could run completely differently with the same settings.

You could try other programs, but the only one that I can think of off the top of my head that's comparable to OBS is XSplit, and not only does that carry a fairly hefty price (unless you plan to stream very regularly or intend to make a career out of it) but it's still not guaranteed to work any better.

Pretty much the only way to be sure is to overspec all of your components.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 09:31:39 PM »
Does anyone have a card that would be an upgrade that theyd be willing to part with?

I don't. Sorry!

Also, feel free to create new topics if you have any questions like this. It'll make your posts a little more visible. :)