Author Topic: BEER  (Read 31046 times)

vladgd

• View Profile
BEER
« on: August 27, 2017, 11:34:22 PM »
I DUB THIS TOPIC BEER AND THIS IS MY CART YESTERDAY

THEN I GOT MORE BEER AND FILLED THE FRIDGE

I GOT BEER FROM POLAND RUSSIA GERMANY ENGLAND JAMAICA BELGIUM JAPAN AND PROBABLY MORE

I LOVE HORROCKS IT IS LOVE AND LIFE AND STORE!

THIS IS ME AT HORROCKS DRINKING BEER AND FILLING UP THAT CART, I LOOK HAPPY BECAUSE I AM

/caps

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
Re: BEER
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 01:57:23 PM »
Jeez dude lol. That's quite the cornucopia of booze.

You're a big stout guy aren't you? Just had one of the best stouts to date this last weekend at a local brewery in Cookeville Tennessee. Red Silo.

Typically stouts have a bitter bite to it but this one didn't at all. I don't mind some mild bitterness but stuff like Lion's Head I just can't stomach anymore.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »
I used to be, but I think I drink all styles that aren't fruity now a days. In all honesty, excluding fruity beers or standard lagers, I think stouts are on the lower end of the totem pole when it generally comes to bitterness. If it ain't your thing I'd recommend checking out any cream stouts or anything that has something dairy with it, milk, milkshake, cream, whatever, usually on the more chocolatey end of things.

In that cart (picture shown was before I filled it...) I think I may have bought 2? stouts total? I'm a sucker for variety, and while I bought a ton of beer, no two bottles/cans are the same. I'll buy something I've never had over something familiar MOST of the time. MOST of the time because that beer I'm holding is the only beer im getting when I go there.

https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/reds-rye-ipa-draft/

DRAFT ONLY, which sucks, because it's literally my favorite beer. Not favorite IPA, not favorite american beer, not "ohh brewed in my homestate FAVORITE" but I mean my tastebuds have not experienced better beer DELICIOUS. You can probably see that big ass jug at the bottom of the cart pic, I NEEDED to fill that sucker up with some of that draft rye ipa.  Dry, bitter, ecstasy.

Bitterness went from a thing that was undesirable to me, but with the way I buy beer (trying new stuff if at all possible) I've eventually acquired a taste for the really piney bitter stuff. If I want sweet or tangy, I got soda, don't need alcohol for that. Hard to get tasty hop bitterness outside of the beer world though.

But really this topic is for me to post about various beers I buy and consume, because at this point, it's almost a hobby to me. It's something I read about, go out of my way to find new stuff, talk to people about, and enjoy. Could probably post about what I had last night, and maybe spark some interest in whatever weird things I find.

So I guess I had 4 over the course of my evening/night, so let's get into it with links and a short opinion/experience

1- Founders Green Zebra

I said I don't like fruity beers, this is a "gose style ale brewed with watermellon and sea salt" so why? Because...because, that's why. I don't like fruity beers but I won't be sad if I find one to change my mind. This beer is fucking weird, soon as your lips touch the drink, you get salt, but as you drink, it's watermellon. I didn't pour it down the drain, and I did finish it. Not sure if I enjoyed it, or was too busy trying to understand what the hell I'm drinking. Not terrible though, would recommend buying a single, but not a 6er.

2- Modelo Negra

Who says I'm limited to crafts? I'm an enthusiast, not a snob. This is one of those amber colored lagers, Michelob has one with it's amberbock, and this doesn't taste too different than that one. Expect more of a caramel flavor, not bitter at all, pretty smooth, not too bad.

3- Spaten Optimator

(note the reviews are biased as all fuck on these websites, hipsters gonna hipst) First german beer of the haul, while on caramel notes from the modelo, this one kicks that up to 10. Not sure if I prefer it to the modelo, but it's definitely got a unique taste to it despite being super heavy on the caramel.

4- Schlitz

If you thought I was a beer hipster, I think this alone would change your mind on that. I've never had this, not very common in my area (besides the 40oz schlitz bull ice which is TERRIBLE), I'd assume more south towards Chicago this stuff is common but I digress. Not sure what to think of it when I started sipping it, had an off taste, cork maybe? But as I was sipping it, I started to appreciate it for being different. It would be easy to do the same damn thing as the lite beer trio (coors miller bud) and this one is distinct enough where I'm confident I could pick it out of a blind tasting easily. I don't know the value for a 6 pack, but I could easily see picking this stuff up to have cheap beer in the fridge. Mind you I'm not saying it's awesome or fantastic, but for what it is, I think it ranks amongst the better american adjunct lagers.

Plus that look, in my mind, screams CHEERS

So that's my blog for now, I think I should work at a brewery or something.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »
Ive had modelo negra before and definitely liked it. Nothing special, but certainly drinkable.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 12:12:11 AM »
Since you are Canadian and I assume have similar availability of Belgian ales, have you had

My first geuze, and I hear it's a good beginner beer for the style. VERY tart, but not in a bad way, funky smell to it, can tell there's some bacterial/yeasty action going on in there, but the more I sipped, the more I came to enjoy it. Even at $10 a bottle, I'll snag another when I can find one.

And for what I'm drinking now, another "craft malt liquor"

I had a founders DKML around a month or so ago and it's abv was so high it made it drink more like a light liquor. This is a bit toned down at 9.5% and you can still taste the alcohol (and has a warm feeling as it goes down), but the taste is really malty and nice. The terms craft and malt liquor don't seem like they'd go together, but I'd recommend trying this one if you aren't offended by an alcohol taste in your beer.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »
I haven't had Boon, but I did have Oud Beersel Oude Geuze, which I quite enjoyed.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 11:55:54 PM »

I bought a can of this from 711 because of the can.

It's not half bad, it's like a cross between a standard lager with some flavors reminding me of some Belgian stuff like duvel? maybe. Standard up front, Belgian on the back end, at least for my pallet.

Had 0 expectations, but I'd buy another can, nothing fancy, but certainly not bad.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 01:05:40 PM »

If I had one holy grail beer, it's this beer.

KBS is released yearly ~March in Michigan, ~April in other states. Miss it one year, you'll have another chance next year.

CBS is not, according to the founders site here, last bottled in 2011...so...this is the first release of this beer since I started drinking beer.

Now how much is it?  750ml bottles only, no 6 packs of 12oz. $25.00 usd.

I'll revisit this thread with my opinion when I crack this baby open Christmas eve or Christmas day. Figured it as a Christmas gift from me, to me. And I do recall around December of last year I read founders was doing 6 bourbon barrel releases, and I fully intended to try all 6. Frootwood, KBS, Doom, DKML, Backwoods Bastard, and now CBS, pretty happy I managed to snag all 6, it's like a scavenger hunt every few months to find a new release for me. AND NEXT MONTH IS BELLS HOPSLAM, man beer is fun.

*obligatory edit storm*

Because science, rating in order minus CBS because that's for Holiday time.

KBS > DKML = Backwoods Bastard > Doom >> Frootwood
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:21:38 PM by vladgd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »
Went to the LCBO today. This is what I came back with.

Also, the price :< Shit ain't cheap.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 12:30:10 AM »
Nowhere I've seen showed 12oz of CBS for sale. Even on the website with the link I had in the last post, every barrel aged beer shown in 12oz, and bomber, with CBS only being in bomber.

I just find it funny how you live in another country, and are paying less for the same amount of beer that's made 90 minutes east of where I live in my own state.

But I can't say much on duchesse, but I have had two beers from the brewery that made that quad, both saisons. Tank 7, which I found average and kind of overpriced for what it was, but certainly not bad. And something I want to try in more beers before I decide I enjoy it, Saison Brett, which was also a bit overpriced, but I wouldn't mind trying another one. Brett is such a weird unique flavor, it's not for everyone, but I'd recommend trying something like Orval to get an understanding of what taste brett imparts. If you like some of the funkier Belgian stuff, it might be worth exploring. I'm not yet sure if I am in the yes or no camp for that flavor yet. I had an Orval earlier this year and loved it, then I had one about 6 months later and didn't like it at all...might try a third when I hit up Horrocks next week to get a final verdict.

I hope you enjoy those beers sir! From what I hear about CBS, it's like KBS (one of the best stouts on the planet) with maple, which certainly can't be bad.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:32:05 AM by vladgd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »
Yeah, its especially odd since the lcbo charges an outrageous markup too.

Had the first CBS last night. Oh man is that shit good. Definitely one of my alltime favorites. I was legitimately surprised it even showed up here. My gf had no idea why I had a mini freakout moment when I saw it.

Also had the Duchesse last night. Second time I've had it. I'm becoming quite a big fan of soured ales. Particularly flemish sours.

Ive had Orval before. Not the biggest fan, but I certainly don't dislike it. I've had a few beers featuring brett lately. Brett IPAs seem to be a bit of a fad right now. I definitely like the funkieness that brett adds, but it definitely doesn't always help the beer.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 08:28:36 PM »
So I went here with my "boss" yesterday. It's been something we've been talking about for nearly two years now, and we finally had open time in our schedules to go. Since I wasn't driving...had a few...

Great food, great beer, good atmosphere

Had me a "Rye Baby" and I'm glad I did because later at ye ole Horrocks they took my Founders Reds Rye IPA off tap ;_;, and having a second Rye IPA has me thinking it may be amongst my favorite styles of beer. I don't know what it is, I can't pinpoint it, but there's something about it that makes me prefer it to the other various styles of IPA I have tried. I don't prefer this to founders, but it's not a bad substitute.

Then I was thinking I wanted a belgian to be my second drink, I did see duchess there...but $12 for a snifter...and my meal was already pretty pricey...decided to save that one for another day. Picked at random I selected this.

Pretty sweet, tasted more like a wine than a beer, but, a wine I find palatable (I haven't found a wine I can enjoy as of yet) and pretty nice.

Afterwards we hit up Horrocks for my Bi-Yearly trip...and...yknow...what I do...

Not the best picture, didn't feel like re organizing my not organized fridge to show everything, but there's a few things like Westmalle Dubbel, Geuze Boon, Kostritzer (inexpensive german black lager, and it's fantastic).

And no, I don't drink everything right away, I may enjoy my beers immensely but these should last me a good while. If I had access to a Horrocks or similar store with a huge beer variety close by, I wouldn't make big ass hauls when I visited such places. It's nice to have a cool mystery beer after a long work shift.

I do wish there was more foreign stuff available, but the 3 big countries represented are probably Belgium, England, Germany. Not much from elsewhere, so only new country I picked up was a croatian lager, so that's another country off the checklist. Wouldn't mind finding an import house somewhere that I can get my hands on more worldwide stuff, I want to see what Africa has on offer, or like southeast asia (sans sri lanka, they have lion stout which is quite good and easy to find) or something. I am a geography nerd, so, BEER AND GEOGRAPHY, that's my jam.

Fun end to my work week, good times.

*beer*

https://i.imgur.com/PC6DNHi.jpg

better pic, a lot of those cans are Aesthetic

Literally bought them because of the can, no fucking idea what style they are. The people who do Stillwater and Mikkeller art need a damn promotion.

Not much new stuff this time though, compared to what I normally go for.

But in the interest of finding new stuff, where the hell can I find one of these! I need me a beer importer guy.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:27:12 PM by vladgd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 06:58:46 PM »
Just grabbed these guys:

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 05:42:35 PM »
I'm going to have to look some of those beers up. I think I've only had one barley wine, something I wouldn't mind trying more of. Whenever I hit up Toronto (because I definitely intend to) we should do some sort of meet up and have a few drinks. I know you aren't tornoto, but it's the same distance as Chicago for me, so it's the closest thing I got out of country, also I hear it's a great city.

But looking at the date of this post...it's time...

OBVIOUSLY not drinking out of the bottle, just posing for a quick picture, about half way through it right now.

Now I'm a cynic for a lot of things, but not beers, I'm very open minded with beers. That said, out of KBS 2016, 2017, and CBS. I think this may be my least favorite out of the 3. I expect a maple after taste, and I get something, but it aint maple.

I still recommend this beer, but having had it now, I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected. But if I was going to give it an arbitrary number score, that would be me giving this an 8/10 when I wanted to give it a 9.5 or 10.

It's a great beer, but, I think I do enjoy KBS over this. Worth $25 for a bottle? With how rarely they brew this stuff? Absolutely. Will I pick one up in 2022 or whenever they brew it again? Yes. However, I personally prefer KBS, which believe it or not isn't even my favorite stout...top 3 yes, top 1? no. Favorite might be...new holland poet? which is a year round easy to buy oatmeal stout.

It does have a great lingering coffee taste, like past the after taste, and minutes past the last sip of beer, that coffee flavor is quite pleasant.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 05:38:57 PM »
BOUT FUCKING TIME I GET SOME

#michiganbeerisawesome